What's new

AX86U LAN Link Aggregation: doesn't seem to be working?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello friends!
I bought a TL-SG108PE V5.0 home and wanted to create a LAG group from its 3-4 ports to ports 1-2 of my Asus AX86U

The LAG group is assembled and everything works fine at first glance, but I am not getting a total speed of 2Gbps on clients connected to the TL-SG108PE from my NAS source connected to the Asus 86U 2.5Gb port. I only get 1Gbps speeds.
Probably the LAG group does not work properly or the wrong mode (4) is selected in Asus 86U in firmware.

Tell me, is there any way to change the balancing mode of two ports in Asus through ssh?

1675934405943.png
1675934413540.png
1675934419967.png
1675934426873.png

Last edited:
Code:
Provider<== 1G link ==> ASUS RT-AX86U <== 2*1G LAG ==> TP-Link SG-108PE switch <== 1G links ==> Some other devices
                              ^^                           ^^    ^^
                              ||                           ||    ||
                          2.5G links                    1G link 1G link
                              ||                           ||    ||
                              vv                           vv     vv
                         NAS Synology                    PC 1   PC 2

Colleague, I confirm your testing in terms of the fact that channel aggregation works on AX 86. But my conclusions are somewhat different.

In my testing, two conclusions are clearly visible:

1. The LAG group from the SG108pe switch is working successfully.
2. The total speed of 2 gbps I receive in both directions of data transmission towards the NAS from my two computers having 1 Gbps channel each.
3. My NAS has two btrfs 4Tb и 6Tb disks in Basic mode (without raid array). I do copying and reading from separate disks to each computer separately.

speed sum 2gbit from PC1\PC2 to NAS
All port is Active

1To_NAS.jpg

2gb.jpg

speed sum 1gbit from PC1\PC2 to NAS
LAn3 on switch and LAN1 in Asus port is Down

2To_NAS.jpg

1gb.jpg

Speed sum 2gbit from NAS to PC1\PC2
All port is Active

1676018646288.png

Last edited:
Data counters from the NAS interface

Copy from NAS

HDD_in.jpg

Copy to NAS

HDD-Out.jpg

Network Interface NAS

net.jpg

Hello friends!
I bought a TL-SG108PE V5.0 home and wanted to create a LAG group from its 3-4 ports to ports 1-2 of my Asus AX86U

The LAG group is assembled and everything works fine at first glance, but I am not getting a total speed of 2Gbps on clients connected to the TL-SG108PE from my NAS source connected to the Asus 86U 2.5Gb port. I only get 1Gbps speeds.
Probably the LAG group does not work properly or the wrong mode (4) is selected in Asus 86U in firmware.

Tell me, is there any way to change the balancing mode of two ports in Asus through ssh?

My mistake was probably that I was testing the speed from one disk to the NAS, or something else. Since I haven't changed anything significantly in the test system.

My mistake was probably that I was testing the speed from one disk to the NAS, or something else. Since I haven't changed anything significantly in the test system.
LACP doesn't have 2gbit/s speeds for 1 file.
You have to copy multiple files from multiple disks.

When 1gbit/s is fully saturated 2nd link 1gbit will get used totaling 2gbit/s.
If you copy a simple file it does go max 1gbit/s.

How full are the 4TB and 6TB HDDs? Even nearly empty, they are probably not capable of giving you ~2GbE worth of speeds even if in RAID0, when used simply as separate drives, they will hardly approach 1GbE speeds (as your graphs show).

LACP doesn't have 2gbit/s speeds for 1 file.
You have to copy multiple files from multiple disks.

When 1gbit/s is fully saturated 2nd link 1gbit will get used totaling 2gbit/s.
If you copy a simple file it does go max 1gbit/s.

My friend. I have already checked the tests.
I am copying from two wired clients (1Gb each) from NAS from different drives via 2.5Gb port (DS218+)
I'm getting speeds of around 200 megabytes per second. When I block a port on a 108E switch, I see a drop in speed to 1 Gbps.

Everything works fine for me and I don't know why you don't believe me and I don't know how to prove it to you :)
Do you want to arrange an AnuDesk session and you will conduct tests yourself :)

How full are the 4TB and 6TB HDDs? Even nearly empty, they are probably not capable of giving you ~2GbE worth of speeds even if in RAID0, when used simply as separate drives, they will hardly approach 1GbE speeds (as your graphs show).

1679667377507.png
1679667400360.png

I believe the LACP connection works.

But, I'm saying your NAS setup can't possibly give you the maximum theoretical speeds of the 2GbE connection.

The fastest the HDDs can be are when they're almost empty (i.e. less than 10% full). You're still getting great speeds considering they are 89% and 37% full.

In the end, you're approaching 80% of the maximum possible (if I'm reading the data you provided above correctly). So of course, the LACP is working.

But, I'm saying your NAS setup can't possibly give you the maximum theoretical speeds of the 2GbE connection.

Where did you get this from?
My disks above give out an average of about 150MB per second, which is about 1.2 gigabits. There is a specification on the manufacturer's website. Disks in btrfs format, defragmentation is small.
The fastest the HDDs can be are when they're almost empty (i.e. less than 10% full). You're still getting great speeds considering they are 89% and 37% full.

Open the site according to the model and you will see that direct linear reading is from 120 to 190 megabytes per second, which is higher than 1 gigabit in any case.

In the end, you're approaching 80% of the maximum possible (if I'm reading the data you provided above correctly). So of course, the LACP is working.

Yes, and as a result of the discussion: from two disks I get a linear read from 100 to 150 megabytes per second, which in total gives out to the network interface about 200 megabytes per second or 1.6 gigabits - which proves the working LACP configuration between AX86U and 108PE

Your conclusions in the post above don't match the facts you're providing. :)

No worries. Live on.

Your conclusions in the post above don't match the facts you're providing. :)

No worries. Live on.

My facts are exactly as written above. You are careless and stubborn.
LACP work - yes
2 Gbps speed - yes

And I don't need more.
Do not worry, live in peace my friend and will be attentive in communication.

Careless and stubborn? Huh!

I already agreed that LACP works in your examples.

2GBE speeds are not equal to 1.2Gbps or 1.6Gbps speeds. This is why I suggested you're getting ~80% of the 250MB/s speeds possible from a 2GbE pipe (yes, I was being generous and erred on the high side).

I am at peace. I hope you are too my friend.

2GBE speeds are not equal to 1.2Gbps or 1.6Gbps speeds. This is why I suggested you're getting ~80% of the 250MB/s speeds possible from a 2GbE pipe (yes, I was being generous and erred on the high side).

Are you seriously not understanding what I'm writing or are you trolling me on purpose?

DS218+Ugreen 2.5gbit adapter gives speed from my NAS 200-210mb per second which is about 1.6-1.7 gigabits.

This speed is not higher than 2 Gbps due to the hardware limitations of the disks (old) and the power of the NAS.
This all nevertheless shows that LACP with 108PE and Asus AX86U is working successfully.

I'm understanding, you're not. Your problem. Good luck.

This all nevertheless shows that LACP with 108PE and Asus AX86U is working successfully.

I have tried link aggregation on AX88U and AX86U and never had great results. One of advertised, bul low usability features in Asuswrt.

I'm understanding, you're not. Your problem. Good luck.

I have no problem, you do not understand the essence of the discussions and are trying to make me look wrong. This is wrong. Friend be calmer and more prudent.

I have tried link aggregation on AX88U and AX86U and never had great results. One of more advertisement than usability features in Asuswrt.

You have a chance to study my booth and see that LACP works in my case and I am very pleased with the result.

Use whatever works for you and verify it still works after firmware updates.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!