AX88u 2.4G range worse than AC87u

micer45

New Around Here
I have just bought the AX88U as my old router died, so thought I would just get the best, I was using a borrowed AC87U until it arrived

Reading reviews I thought the range would be better than the AC87U but I finding the opposite.

I have some 2.4G garage door controllers and with the AC87U they report 70% wireless strength, whereas with the AX88U just 40%, both routers in the same location.

I have quite a few IOT devices on 2.4G so was hoping for better

Is the AX88U just good for 5GHZ range?

bbunge

Part of the Furniture
If you read through posts for router recommendations, the AX88U is seldom mentioned. The AX86U, however, is high on the list!

micer45

New Around Here
If you read through posts for router recommendations, the AX88U is seldom mentioned. The AX86U, however, is high on the list!
I had asked for recommendations in another thread and was told the AX88U was the best of the best

Last edited:

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
... was told the AX88U was the best of the best
By a single person that had only joined the forums 11 days earlier and has limited IT experience. Hmmm, I think I would have waited for a second opinion.

My sarcasm aside, the AX88U ought not to be significantly different on 2.4GHz. Have you tried different channels? Also make sure you're using 20MHz bandwidth, not 40 or 20/40.

micer45

New Around Here
Yes, sarcasm well deserved :). Jumped the gun a bit, saw a cheap one on eBay and just went for it

Currently set to 20/40 will give that a go, thanks.

ColinTaylor

Part of the Furniture
As I have no AX devices on 2.4GHz I have these disabled:

802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode
WiFi Agile Multiband
Target Wake Time

And in the professional settings I have these disabled:

Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
Universal Beamforming

YMMV

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!