What's new

AX88U 4tb USB drive won’t take more than 2.22tb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

abcncrr

New Around Here
Hi, I recently got a couple of My Book 4tb drives to hook up to my AX88U as network backup for my photos and documents. After adding about 2.2tb of files onto them, the transfer throws an error and stops. According to the web interface, the drives indeed still have ~1.5b free. My drives were initially formatted via my PC. This gave each of them a single 4tb partition of free space.

If I delete some files from the drives then I can once again add stuff...until I hit that 2.2tb threshold. Why am I unable to add more? According to ASUS support, the AX88U can handle drives up to 4tb: https://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

After some experimentation, I discovered that an NTFS format via the router was different than an NTFS format via a PC. The NTFS format via the router uses MBR so it creates multiple partitions no larger than 2tb. Via the PC, I can choose GPT which gives me an unbroken 4tb partition. Is GPT causing issues with the router? Would the Merlin firmware help?

Thanks!

Hi, I recently got a couple of My Book 4tb drives to hook up to my AX88U as network backup for my photos and documents. After adding about 2.2tb of files onto them, the transfer throws an error and stops. According to the web interface, the drives indeed still have ~1.5b free. My drives were initially formatted via my PC. This gave each of them a single 4tb partition of free space.

If I delete some files from the drives then I can once again add stuff...until I hit that 2.2tb threshold. Why am I unable to add more? According to ASUS support, the AX88U can handle drives up to 4tb: https://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

After some experimentation, I discovered that an NTFS format via the router was different than an NTFS format via a PC. The NTFS format via the router uses MBR so it creates multiple partitions no larger than 2tb. Via the PC, I can choose GPT which gives me an unbroken 4tb partition. Is GPT causing issues with the router? Would the Merlin firmware help?

Thanks!
'Is GPT causing issues with the router?': NO.
4TB: fine. I've tested up to 10TB. They work fine. I have some 14TB drives but haven't tested yet. I'll test it later.
Partition: GPT.
1. Connect MY Book to your PC.
2. Format MY Book - NTFS, 'Cluster Size 8kb' or above.
3. Download and install 'WD Drive Utilities' from WD website.
4. WD Drive Utilities>Settings> Sleep Timer> recommend 30mins. It's up to you.
5. Now, Connect MY Book to the router.
6. Test it.

Last edited:
'Is GPT causing issues with the router?': NO.
4TB: fine. I've tested up to 10TB. They work fine. I have some 14TB drives but haven't tested yet. I'll test it later.
Partition: GPT.
1. Connect MY Book to your PC.
2. Format MY Book - NTFS, 'Cluster Size 8kb' or above.
3. Download and install 'WD Drive Utilities' from WD website.
4. WD Drive Utilities>Settings> Sleep Timer> recommend 30mins. It's up to you.
5. Now, Connect MY Book to the router.
6. Test it.
Ok, I just tried this to the letter. It worked for a few transfers in the 2+tb range, but then it konked out again--same error.

Again, would the stock router firmware be the problem? Do I need to be using Merlin?

Ok, I just tried this to the letter. It worked for a few transfers in the 2+tb range, but then it konked out again--same error.

Again, would the stock router firmware be the problem? Do I need to be using Merlin?
No. It works with a stock firmware. I don't use Merlin firmware.
Try everything you can.

Factory reset your router and try with NTFS.

Or

Try this.
1. Delete whole partitions.
2. Remake the partition as one with GPT.
3. Format as EXT3 or EXT4.
4. Retry it.

If it doesn't work again? Maybe your router is defective.

have a seagate 8tb and a WD12tb. NTFS formatted on win 10. No problem, Besides the 8tb seagate. I have to reconnect the usb or power cable, on every reboot. but only when both HDD's is connected.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!