What's new

Ax88u Slow WAN speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just curious, streaming 4K UHD with all the Dolby bells and whistles and so on, the most I’ve seen is 20Mbps on a stream (at peak).

To drive two server’s combined, 20x that, you gotta be driving a lot of content and you’ll need a lot of tweaking to sustain that reliably too.

If you’re serving that content up for your own consumption I’m curious what the use case is.

If you’re feeding that content externally outside your network then you’ll need to look at a more commercial solution beyond just the router and switch… IMHO

If you really want LAG the TP-Link TL-SG108E is cheap and handles 2 LAG groups of 2-4 ports each. Note it is static LAG, not LACP, but most things support static LAG. If you need LACP probably need to pay a bit more for a higher end switch.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will compare with the TrendNet TEG-S80ES. Almost the same price.

Just curious, streaming 4K UHD with all the Dolby bells and whistles and so on, the most I’ve seen is 20Mbps on a stream (at peak).
From my part... I don't stream 4K. I limit the streaming to 1080P 7-12Mbps per stream.
And I limit to 10 concurrent streams

A little under the weather 😵‍💫🤢🤮

But I do use 802.3ad on the AX88u and the WD NAS and have been for years with no issues, even did jumbo frames for awhile. I’ve never have had any issues with ports 5-8. Also use the switches in the AX86s (nodes) never an issue with any of it.
Are you using Ports 5-8? If so, don't. Remove those cables, perform a full GUI reboot, then test again. If that is the issue, get yourself a $30 switch and ignore those ports on the router forevermore.

So let's say I take a bit or both recommendations do the following scenario:

Set port 1-2 on ax88u with 802.3ad for my 1st server
Port3 will connect a 8 port switch where I connect my other servers and computers
Port4 will connect my 16 ports switch where my NAS are connected.
Will no longer use port 5-8 on ax88u

On the 8 port switch I will set port 1-2 with static lag for my second server and the rest of the ports
for my other devices that were connected to port 5-8 of ax88u.

Is this a good scenario?

The main point is not to use Ports 5-8 on the RT-AX88U.

Given that your usage doesn't require LAG, for the traffic you're generating, you're needlessly complicating your setup by insisting on it.

It seems like you don't even need to buy a switch. Plug in your 16-Port switch in Port 4, and connect all devices currently connected to Ports 5-8.

Given that your usage doesn't require LAG, for the traffic you're generating, you're needlessly complicating your setup by insisting on it.
So LAG will not give improved performance? Only stability?
I'm not insisting... just asking since I was once told to setup this way. I just never asked the why's and cons.
I'm also trying to understand all at once.

And since it's not required I should also connect my server to the 16 port switch... instead of using 802.3ad from port 1-2 of the ax88u
This will free up 2 of the 4 ports.

In regards of AImesh
For AiMesh to work. Does it need to be connected to one of the ports of the ax88u or it can be on one of the switchs?
One of the 8 ports usage on my ax88u is the wire fo AiMesh.

Thanks

So LAG will not give improved performance? Only stability?
I'm not insisting... just asking since I was once told to setup this way. I just never asked the why's and cons.
I'm also trying to understand all at once.

And since it's not required I should also connect my server to the 16 port switch... instead of using 802.3ad from port 1-2 of the ax88u
This will free up 2 of the 4 ports.

In regards of AImesh
For AiMesh to work. Does it need to be connected to one of the ports of the ax88u or it can be on one of the switchs?
One of the 8 ports usage on my ax88u is the wire fo AiMesh.

Thanks

The only performance increase is that it can do 2 gigs of throughput instead of 1. But you need multiple sessions/transfers to take advantage of that, it load balances connections so a single connection is still max 1Gbps. If your internet isn't over 1 gig there really isn't any reason to do it on the Asus. If you have a server that needs to do more than 1gbps to other LAN clients, then doing LAG off your switch to that server might provide some benefit (when multiple clients are using it), but it doesn't sound like you need that either.

LAG from asus to switch would only be if you need more than 1G of internet or wireless (which even with AX wireless is not likely or common).

LAG from switch to a server would only be if you need more than 1G to/from that server.

It does also provide some redundancy but since they're just short lan patch cables it is unlikely that they would fail (and if one did, easy to swap out).

I would just connect your switch to the asus with one connection and then plug all your other clients into the switch. That way the asus is only doing internet and wifi and all wired traffic stays local to the switch. Most likely your external switch has better hardware in it than the Asus.

For Aimesh, it will work via the switch, but if you are using Guest Wireless 1 with intranet access disabled, the switch must be capable of passing VLAN tags, some "dumb" switches will, others won't. I would plug your aimesh into the asus directly, so basically the only things physically plugged into the Asus will be your 16 port switch, your aimesh node(s) and your WAN to the internet. Everything else plugs into the switch. Use ports 1-4 on the asus for those things, and leave 5-8 empty.

With a 16-port switch, I would not have anything plugged into the main router (only the switch itself), if you have less than 15 or less client devices to plug in). A dedicated switch (with that many clients) will/should offer a better overall network experience than using a combination of the router's and external switch's ports.

And no, LAG does not offer stability, it potentially may do the opposite (was my point). You need multiple clients to extract the performance that LAG might offer. Your use case doesn't even tax a single 1GbE port, from what you've stated so far.

AiMesh will work through a switch, yes (depending on the switch...).

The KISS principle always applies. Keep things simple to have the least worries. And if you do need it more complex, make it only as complex as needed, not as complex as possible.

Hope this helps. :)

The only performance increase is that it can do 2 gigs of throughput instead of 1. But you need multiple sessions/transfers to take advantage of that, it load balances connections so a single connection is still max 1Gbps. If your internet isn't over 1 gig there really isn't any reason to do it on the Asus. If you have a server that needs to do more than 1gbps to other LAN clients, then doing LAG off your switch to that server might provide some benefit (when multiple clients are using it), but it doesn't sound like you need that either.
And no, LAG does not offer stability, it potentially may do the opposite (was my point). You need multiple clients to extract the performance that LAG might offer. Your use case doesn't even tax a single 1GbE port, from what you've stated so far.

I have 1.6gbps DL & 960Mps UP
My main server is a Plex server with up to 6 multiples connections from family members.
This was my initial thought on why I was using LAG. Also because it has two NIC ports. I misunderstood the performance I could get setting the two ports in bond
On those 6 multiple connections I only get 4 concurrent streams everyday. And I limited each connection to 20 Mbps.

So either I go:
Port 1 - Plex Server port 1
Port 2 - Plex Server port 2
Port 3 - 16P switch
Port 4 - Aimesh to ax88u
Port 5-8 Empty
Everything else on 16p switch

OR

Port 1 -
Port 2 -
Port 3 - 16P switch
Port 4 - Aimesh to ax88u
Port 5-8 Empty

And if you do need it more complex, make it only as complex as needed, not as complex as possible.

I think I was mislead in the past and went from nothing to everything and made it complex as possible

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I'm learning from this.

For Aimesh, it will work via the switch, but if you are using Guest Wireless 1 with intranet access disabled, the switch must be capable of passing VLAN tags, some "dumb" switches will, others won't. I would plug your aimesh into the asus directly, so basically the only things physically plugged into the Asus will be your 16 port switch, your aimesh node(s) and your WAN to the internet. Everything else plugs into the switch. Use ports 1-4 on the asus for those things, and leave 5-8 empty.
I'm not using Guest wireless. Thanks for the details

Are you using LAG between your modem and router?

Are you able to put all your wired devices on the 16-Port switch?

Does the switch have an extra port to put it in LAG with the router?

If the above are all 'yes', then I would have everything connected to the 16-Port switch and connected to the router via LAG. This will maximize the performance your current router can offer to more than one client device(s).

Ideally, I would suggest a GT-AX6000 connected to your modem via the 2.5GbE WAN Port (if the modem also has a 2.5GbE Port).

Then, you would need a switch with at least one 2.5GbE Port (depending on if you have other 2.5GbE capable wired devices) and enough GbE ports to connect all your remaining devices up.

Or, Alternatively, connect your AiMesh node directly via the 2.5GbE LAN port (if it also has a 2.5GbE WAN port too), and connect the current 16-Port switch via LAG.

The latter two options will be an obvious upgrade to your current network which is limiting your ISP speeds and latency for each client device.

I have 1.6gbps DL & 960Mps UP
My main server is a Plex server with up to 6 multiples connections from family members.
This was my initial thought on why I was using LAG. Also because it has two NIC ports. I misunderstood the performance I could get setting the two ports in bond
On those 6 multiple connections I only get 4 concurrent streams everyday. And I limited each connection to 20 Mbps.

So either I go:
Port 1 - Plex Server port 1
Port 2 - Plex Server port 2
Port 3 - 16P switch
Port 4 - Aimesh to ax88u
Port 5-8 Empty

OR

Port 1 -
Port 2 -
Port 3 - 16P switch
Port 4 - Aimesh to ax88u
Port 5-8 Empty

I think I was mislead in the past and went from nothing to everything and made it complex as possible

I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I'm learning from this.

I think either one will be the same, the second is simpler. Between wifi and wired you'll still be able to take advantage of your 1.6 download speed (just not all from one client, which is good, "hard QoS" is the best kind to have).

Are you using LAG between your modem and router? NO

Are you able to put all your wired devices on the 16-Port switch? YES

Does the switch have an extra port to put it in LAG with the router? YES

If the above are all 'yes', then I would have everything connected to the 16-Port switch and connected to the router via LAG. This will maximize the performance your current router can offer to more than one client device(s).
Right now my setup is
ISP modem/router -> AX88U -> aimesh to AX88U

No plans or budget to get GT-AX6000 router. My only possible fix would be to get a Gigabit SFP Media Converter and bypass my ISP modem/router.
But this is another story.

I understand the speed limits on the wan with my actual setup.
But my main concern is that when I perform speed test I'm far away from the speeds provided by my ISP.
Max is 1.6Gbps up to the modem/router... I was expecting more around 950Mbps than the 750Mbps I'm getting.

I think for now I will go with a full factory reset. Only import the YazDHCP file.
And keep it simple on the router installing Diversion YazDHCP and vnStat.
And most importantly clear port 5-8 on ax88u router.

Hopefully I will get a better speed through.

Right now my setup is
ISP modem/router -> AX88U -> aimesh to AX88U

No plans or budget to get GT-AX6000 router. My only possible fix would be to get a Gigabit SFP Media Converter and bypass my ISP modem/router.
But this is another story.

I understand the speed limits on the wan with my actual setup.
But my main concern is that when I perform speed test I'm far away from the speeds provided by my ISP.
Max is 1.6Gbps up to the modem/router... I was expecting more around 950Mbps than the 750Mbps I'm getting.

I think for now I will go with a full factory reset. Only import the YazDHCP file.
And keep it simple on the router installing Diversion YazDHCP and vnStat.
And most importantly clear port 5-8 on ax88u router.

Hopefully I will get a better speed through.

If your WAN is only 1G then ignore them saying you have 1.6, you dont. How can they advertise that but only supply a device capable of 1G? Regardless, you should be able to get about 950/950 (anything over 900/900 is acceptable, depends on what is in their network and how much overhead it consumes) but maybe their modem/router is bottlenecking further than that. Test directly connected to that from a wired PC to see.

If they give you a device capable of LAG you can use the 2 ports on the Asus for that (they should be able to be re-mapped into WAN when in LAG). That would give you >1G on the WAN then between your wired and wireless you may utilize it (though in reality, 1G is probably more than you'll ever use).

Last edited:
If your WAN is only 1G then ignore them saying you have 1.6, you dont. How can they advertise that but only supply a device capable of 1G? Regardless, you should be able to get about 950/950 (anything over 900/900 is acceptable, depends on what is in their network and how much overhead it consumes) but maybe their modem/router is bottlenecking further than that. Test directly connected to that from a wired PC to see.
Yes I knew I would not get over 1Gbps via the WAN
So from the ISP Speed test I get 1.61gbps DL & 963Mps UP

Connecting my PC directly to the ISP modem/router I get around 725Mbps DL/UP.
Like I said I was hoping to reach at least like you said 900/900

Do the above after you have completed a full reset as suggested in Post 2.

This will give you the maximum performance possible without buying new hardware.

On the AX88u is there NAT acceleration?

Yes, depending on which options/features you don't enable and/or toggle on/off.

Do the above after you have completed a full reset as suggested in Post 2.

This will give you the maximum performance possible without buying new hardware.
I already move some cables. I started reorganizing the cables
and at the same time documenting what is connected to each port.

1686687558692.png

I need to find some free time to perform the full reset. But by the end of the week It I should be able to report.

Yes, depending on which options/features you don't enable and/or toggle on/off.
Was reading that speed can also be impacted if it's enabled.