What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I lost again my 5Ghz-1 nett during the night, restartet RT-AX92U again, stil missing 5Ghz-1 canal. 451 firmware...

Here is what I did to make it stable again:
1.Manually updated the node (yes, the node not the main unit), made a factory reset and left it waiting like that.
2. Connected to the main unit, downloaded the settings.
3. Did a manual upload to the main routerof .451
4. Factory reset once done on the main unit and then advance-> restore from settings
5. Re-add the node from main unit
6. Turn QOS, Traffic analyzer off. I only have AI protection (not parental) on.
7. Turn smart connection off

One more advise is if 5_1 still fails try to manually set a channel for it.
The routers seems to have a hard time to find a channel sometimes.

I hope that helps.

AX92U in AP-mode – firmware Version 3.0.0.4.386_41535, non AiMesh
My experience so far …

• During the night I lost the 5Ghz-1 network, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-2 worked as normal. Tried to restart several times without success. Ended with hard reset and new (old) firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.40451 installed.
  • Everything looked normal, so I should try to enable "enable smart connection", I did not understand the function so I tried to return to the "off" position. As a result, I lost both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz-2 network. New hard reset.
  • It looks like everything is working now, but I'm disappointed with the signal strength compared to the RT-AC86U (RT-AC2900)

Smart connect automatically switches devices between 2.4ghz and 5ghz depending on their signal strength.

My network is a collection of AX92u's all operating in mesh mode and this setting is enabled by default. I can't comment on using the node in AP. However, out of the box and in mesh mode you have one network and this is all handled automatically. Devices moving around the home will switch between nodes and wireless bands automatically without any interruption to their wifi.

Thank you for your guidance Gilad

I had done everything correctly according to your instructions, but remember I do not run AiMesh right now, and RT-AX92U is in accesspoint (AP) setting and gets IP-address from the fiber converter. I will try your tip by change the canal from automatic to a "free channel”. Will give feedback...

i reverted back to the previous firmware and everything is back to normal.
What firmware are you now using? Also, can you check your router logs for any crashes, just search for the word "crash".

Here is what I did to make it stable again:
1.Manually updated the node (yes, the node not the main unit), made a factory reset and left it waiting like that.
2. Connected to the main unit, downloaded the settings.
3. Did a manual upload to the main routerof .451
4. Factory reset once done on the main unit and then advance-> restore from settings
5. Re-add the node from main unit
6. Turn QOS, Traffic analyzer off. I only have AI protection (not parental) on.
7. Turn smart connection off

One more advise is if 5_1 still fails try to manually set a channel for it.
The routers seems to have a hard time to find a channel sometimes.

I hope that helps.

What is your current uptime, any crashes in the logs? 451 lasted 30 hours and then crashed.

Here is the crash report. I used firmware _41535 at this time, today i use 451

Same problem as you

How can I downgrade??, Every time this 41535 is active. I don’t seem able to downgrade to an earlier verslion

How can I downgrade??, Every time this 41535 is active. I don’t seem able to downgrade to an earlier verslion

It's on the Administration page. From there click firmware tab. On this page click Manual firmware update : Upload

Do the node first, then the router.

You will then need to hard reset both the router and the node.

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

It's on the Administration page. From there click firmware tab. On this page click Manual firmware update : Upload

Do the node first, then the router.

You will then need to hard reset both the router and the node.

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 1

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power LED light starts flashing.
5. Power light stops flashing and the router will automatically reboot.

i've tried downgrading both the node as well as the router
the node works fine and is downgraded to the october firmware

after that i tried downgrading the router.. within seconds its showing that the upgrade was unsuccessful.

i've tried downgrading both the node as well as the router
the node works fine and is downgraded to the october firmware

after that i tried downgrading the router.. within seconds its showing that the upgrade was unsuccessful.

Factory reset the router using the WPS button method and try again.

If that fails, factory reset by pressing the red button.

The October firmware is also broken, you need this one:

Version 3.0.0.4.384.9177
2020/05/20 60.88 MBytes

Once you've set everything up and got the mesh connected, do another reboot by clicking the reboot button at the top of the screen. Then it's just a case of leaving it and seeing how long it lasts. You can check by clicking system log, on that page you will see "uptime". I'm not sure how long it has to stay up for us to consider it stable but I've had routers last 6 months without a crash or reboot. My neighbors network has an uptime of over a year now.

Last edited:
Thx! I Will try to revert to an older firmware tomorrow. My wife and daughters dont want me to tinker with it during Home Schooling.

OK, another one with his hand in the air as affected. Just got off the phone with Asus and the guy I spoke with knew nothing about this problem. His name Bogoslov_S has instructed me to downgrade the firmware. His actual words were.. "I've no idea why you have a firmware that I can't see on my system".

So, a quick question before I carry out the downgrade. If I carry out a backup before the downgrade.. Once I've downgraded, can I then just bring this backup back and it will put all my settings back to where they are, without upgrading the firmware back to the problem one?

Thanks.

OK, another one with his hand in the air as affected. Just got off the phone with Asus and the guy I spoke with knew nothing about this problem. His name Bogoslov_S has instructed me to downgrade the firmware. His actual words were.. "I've no idea why you have a firmware that I can't see on my system".

So, a quick question before I carry out the downgrade. If I carry out a backup before the downgrade.. Once I've downgraded, can I then just bring this backup back and it will put all my settings back to where they are, without upgrading the firmware back to the problem one?

Thanks.
You need to factory reset and start from scratch. Restoring the settings from a different firmware could mess things up.

I can confirm that the firmware 41535 is bugged even port forwarding didn't work with that. As for the 40451 port forwarding works but when changing from node to node the internet connection gets dropped and I have to reconnect with my phone in order to have internet. With the 49177 everything works fine and I get transferred between nodes without a problem. Hope they put another firmware because the AI Mesh 2.0 has really helpful features.

I can confirm that the firmware 41535 is bugged even port forwarding didn't work with that. As for the 40451 port forwarding works but when changing from node to node the internet connection gets dropped and I have to reconnect with my phone in order to have internet. With the 49177 everything works fine and I get transferred between nodes without a problem. Hope they put another firmware because the AI Mesh 2.0 has really helpful features.

I'm agree, 3.0.0.4.384_9177 is the most stable for me, no crash since 48h ...

OK, I eventually managed to downgrade yesterday. I have two AX92U units (one is router and one is a node) and a AX58U as a node also.
I have a total of 37 devices connected across the mesh.
My AX92Us are both on firmware 3.0.0.4.386_40451
The AX58U is on 3.0.0.4.384_10177
Smart connect is off on all channels

I'm still getting drop outs using the above setup. I have literally just turned off AX mode only on the 5_2 channel and moved that to mixed.
The 5_1 channel is also mixed
The 2.4 channel is auto

I've noticed that some of my nest cameras (one in particular) is dropping wifi connection very frequently. Although the camera is about 15 foot from the AX92u node (on the first floor) it will not connect to it and decides to connect to the main router (a good 50/60 foot away) or the AX58u which is even further away. I seem to seeing this quite a lot in terms of other devices, hence why we are seeing many disconnections of the wifi..

Have I missed something here? or, do i need to drop back to another firmware the 9177 seems popular.

Final question.
I had a mare getting my units to downgrade yesterday. I did the WPS reset but it never worked on the two AX92u units. I even did the full factory reset (10 second hold on the reset button) but again, this was hit and miss and just wouldn't allow the downgrade, it kept saying unsuccessful within a few seconds of uploading the file. If anyone has any other pointers, I would happily accept them to save hours of messing around.

Thanks

OK, I eventually managed to downgrade yesterday. I have two AX92U units (one is router and one is a node) and a AX58U as a node also.

I'm still getting drop outs using the above setup. I have literally just turned off AX mode only on the 5_2 channel and moved that to mixed.
The 2.4 channel is auto

I've noticed that some of my nest cameras (one in particular) is dropping wifi connection very frequently. Although the camera is about 15 foot from the AX92u node (on the first floor) it will not connect to it and decides to connect to the main router (a good 50/60 foot away) or the AX58u which is even further away. I seem to seeing this quite a lot in terms of other devices, hence why we are seeing many disconnections of the wifi..

Have I missed something here? or, do i need to drop back to another firmware the 9177 seems popular.

Final question.
I had a mare getting my units to downgrade yesterday. I did the WPS reset but it never worked on the two AX92u units. I even did the full factory reset (10 second hold on the reset button) but again, this was hit and miss and just wouldn't allow the downgrade, it kept saying unsuccessful within a few seconds of uploading the file. If anyone has any other pointers, I would happily accept them to save hours of messing around.

Thanks

You need to drop the AX92u's down to 304_9177.
386_40451 will cause the AX92u's to crash.

The 2.4 channel is auto

Final question.

Thanks
If you have a problem downgrading directly to 40451, you can go to 9177 and then back up to 40451. That seems to work better. If you're using AI Mesh, depending on your setup, 40451 drops wifi, as you're explaining. I use AP mode instead of AI Mesh and 40451 is very stable. 9177 seems more stable if you're using AI Mesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!