What's new

best $200 router to get right now

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Knxwledge

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a AC68U but I will be giving it away to my father in law.

Currently leaning towards the AC86U but people seems to be having boot loop issue and the 2.4ghz band dying.

My other choice is the Synology RT2600AC and the R7800 (Not a big fan of the firmware - although strong Wifi)

Ive been reading up on these 3 routers for the last 3 days but just can't decide which one to get. I need to order one today or tomorrow because I will be flying to see my in laws by Thursday.

Lot's of folks here will have a bias towards the Asus or Netgear.

That being said - I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Synology RT2600AC...

I guess I'm one of those with a bias towards Asus. My 86U is working fine. I think most of the problems are related to the earlier units.

+1 for the R7800; it's currently the better device NETGEAR has to offer

If price is not an issue, the Synology RT2600AC is the best default option of the three for most consumers due to its very user-friendly, yet powerful user interface, and extra wired options.

If you need very strong VPN client performance, then the Asus RT-AC86U. Bonus: you can run Merlin firmware. Even if the WiFi dies outside of its 3-year warranty, you still have a powerful wired router and you can just add cheap WiFi access points.

If you want to install third party firmware, the Netgear R7800 is by far the most flexible option.

Last edited:
If price is not an issue, the Synology RT2600AC is the best default option of the three for most consumers due to its very user-friendly, yet powerful user interface, and extra wired options.

If you need very strong VPN client performance, then the Asus RT-AC86U. Bonus: you can run Merlin firmware. Even if the WiFi dies outside of its 3-year warranty, you still have a powerful wired router and you can just add cheap WiFi access points.

If you want to install third party firmware, the Netgear R7800 is by far the most flexible option.

I decided to test both and see which one will work better for my environment. Should be coming in today. Thanks

Total bias but the AC86u is a beast for me as a home user. The VPN performance is effortless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!