What's new

best inexpensive router that will accept a gsm sim

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hli

New Around Here
hello everyone-

I want to create a small home network using a router that will accept a gsm sim card. I will use it to attach two laptops to surf, (no gaming) and stream the occasional movie to a chromecast device. I don't need a "mobile" hotspot because I don't anticipate this ever leaving the house. I have spent much of this weekend researching what should be considered.

I am considering the following equipment:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMCB7C6/?tag=snbforums-20

and this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XVYDKJU/?tag=snbforums-20

I want tot keep it simple and inexpensive, but have security options that I need. I would appreciate any suggestions, comments or experiences that you feel I should consider in making this decision. Also, if there is other hardware that I should be considering, please let me know that also.

Thank in advance.

You will need to install Tomato, DD-WRT or OpenWRT on the WNDR4700 for USB dongle support, because as far as I know stock Netgear firmware does not generally support cellular dongles.

This Asus AC51U supports cellular dongles out of the box if you want an alternative and it costs about the same as the WNDR4700 though it is not as powerful chipset wise.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B015T71BVA/?tag=snbforums-20

Last edited:
mikrotik has routerboards that have what you want. SIM slot with usb for cellular support.

or you can use any consumer router with 3rd party firmware with usb

You will need to install Tomato, DD-WRT or OpenWRT on the WNDR4700 for USB dongle support, because as far as I know stock Netgear firmware does not generally support cellular dongles.

This Asus AC51U supports cellular dongles out of the box if you want an alternative and it costs about the same as the WNDR4700 though it is not as powerful chipset wise.
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Wireless-AC750-Router-Rt-AC51U-802-11ac/dp/B015T71BVA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1456865433&sr=8-3&keywords=asus+3g+router

Thanks for the other option. Before I leave the WNDR4700, you reference its stronger chipset. If it is just installing DD-wrt, what would the 4700 allow me to do that the 2nd one you highlight would not? The general consensus seems to be that the 4700 is a solid router. My goal is to keep it simple, but definitely get the most bang for my buck.

You did not reference the Novatel mifi, was this because it shouldn't be considered?

Thanks for the other option. Before I leave the WNDR4700, you reference its stronger chipset. If it is just installing DD-wrt, what would the 4700 allow me to do that the 2nd one you highlight would not? The general consensus seems to be that the 4700 is a solid router. My goal is to keep it simple, but definitely get the most bang for my buck.

You did not reference the Novatel mifi, was this because it shouldn't be considered?

You could probably use cellular dongles even with your current router if it supports DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT and obviously assuming it has a USB port. By the way, what is you current router model?

The WNDR4700 is definitely better, but its factory firmware does not support cellular dongles without third party firmware, I mentioned the other router in case you aren't comfortable installing third party firmware since its stock firmware supports cellular dongles.

I do not have experience using cellular dongles myself that is why I did not comment on the other product.

Last edited:
You could probably use cellular dongles even with your current router if it supports DD-WRT, Tomato or OpenWRT and obviously assuming it has a USB port. By the way, what is you current router model?

The WNDR4700 is definitely better, but its factory firmware does not support cellular dongles without third party firmware, I mentioned the other router in case you aren't comfortable installing third party firmware since its stock firmware supports cellular dongles.

I do not have experience using cellular dongles myself that is why I did not comment on the other product.

Im sure I can get some assistance installing the new software. If I install the software, is it just a matter of inserting the sim as I would in a hotspot?

You can use 3rd party firmware that supports it. You will need to check if your choice of firmware supports it.

Most importantly the router must have usb and the firmware you use must support it.

USB Sim card adapter or even a usb dongle that allows you to use a sim card. If you use a USB Sim card adapter and dongle seperately than you will need 2 usb ports or a usb hub.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!