Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Best rmerlin compatible router to replace expired RT-AC87U

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by HellDiver, Jul 17, 2017.

1. HellDiver

HellDiver Occasional Visitor

Folks,

I've had an RT-AC87U for a long time, great router. Fast, brilliant signal everywhere in the house, and great performance from the OpenVPN server.

Sadly, it died yesterday, so I'm back to my pauper-spec spare router, a TPLink VR400 which gets me on the internet, but wifi signal is pants, and I've had to run up OpenVPN on an old Synology box which is slow as a slow thing that's not in a hurry.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement for the AC87U. I don't really need a lot more spec than the 87U, but hoping for something that's going to last a bit longer.

Is the RT-AC88U a decent router?

Thanks!

2. Chris313AllNight

Chris313AllNight Regular Contributor

The AC88U is a decent unit, but if memory serves, several posters on the forum have brought up issues with that model. Try the 3100 4 port model and just add a switch if you need more then 4. See how that works out for you. Sorry to hear about your 87U, you and a friend of mine have 87Us and were 2 of the rare users I heard of that had units with no problems, when this forum was rife with 87U complaints.

3. HellDiver

HellDiver Occasional Visitor

The 3100 isn't generally available in the UK, which is a shame.

I'm gutted about the 87U - mine is a very, very early unit, I got it basically the first day Amazon UK had them for sale. I had no issues at all with it until yesterday when it just had a fit and died.

I'm struggling here to justify the RT-AC88U - the TPLink VR2800 is looking like a great alternative, which would allow me to get rid of my VDSL modem. The VR400 is OK for an elcheapo, it's just a bit limp in the wifi department, and can't run a VPN server.

4. AndreiV

AndreiV Senior Member

There are plenty of AC87-U's available and the AC3200 works well for me.

5. djrm

djrm Occasional Visitor

I have a AC88U since Asus released it and I have had any issue at all with it. Great performance and stability, so not sure about what issues are mentioned here (I haven't see any systematic issue on this model)

6. AndreiV

AndreiV Senior Member

The only problem with the AC88-U is the UK price .

$352.95 US / £270 GBP ( and that has gone down from £365 )

Nigel Jones likes this.
  7. Nigel Jones

Nigel Jones Regular Contributor

What's your current VDSL modern? The tplink ac1900 I tried a while back was better than hh5a but not a patch on the hg612 modem. Slower speeds and much less stable. Also the tplink was very limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. ASadani

ASadani Occasional Visitor

I like the AC5300. It has three radios. The only downside is its ports. It looks better and well built.

9. Chris313AllNight

Chris313AllNight Regular Contributor

You say it died. What happened to the unit? Depending on what happened, it may not be dead.

10. Chiny91

Chiny91 Occasional Visitor

At a UK price (quoted above) of £270, any router would have to do something special, for home use anyway. I'm on a Amazon returned RT-N66U for £51 (I think it was) which works fine and looks indistinguishable from new. Maybe you could get a chunk of £££ off for a return.

My RT-N66U replaced an RT-16N which popped a power supply capacitor (easily replaced) which seems to be a regular with Asus. Mind you, after the repair, I sort of lost confidence in it hence the replacement. Still, if you have a dead router, presumably you have little to lose in removing a few screws and taking a look.

I'm wondering whether I dare hang a Raspberry Pi honeypot off that RT-16N...

11. Csection

Csection Senior Member

Try Amazon. Not sure how it works in UK though(Shipping etc).

12. Nigel Jones

Nigel Jones Regular Contributor

That is amazon. 214 from Amazon warehouse though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. AndreiV

AndreiV Senior Member

Whatever price + shipping + duty+VAT no thanks.

14. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

Never buy a router from another country. It will be hard configured to a different region.