What's new

Best rmerlin compatible router to replace expired RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HellDiver

Regular Contributor
Folks,

I've had an RT-AC87U for a long time, great router. Fast, brilliant signal everywhere in the house, and great performance from the OpenVPN server.

Sadly, it died yesterday, so I'm back to my pauper-spec spare router, a TPLink VR400 which gets me on the internet, but wifi signal is pants, and I've had to run up OpenVPN on an old Synology box which is slow as a slow thing that's not in a hurry.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement for the AC87U. I don't really need a lot more spec than the 87U, but hoping for something that's going to last a bit longer.

Is the RT-AC88U a decent router?

Thanks!

The AC88U is a decent unit, but if memory serves, several posters on the forum have brought up issues with that model. Try the 3100 4 port model and just add a switch if you need more then 4. See how that works out for you. Sorry to hear about your 87U, you and a friend of mine have 87Us and were 2 of the rare users I heard of that had units with no problems, when this forum was rife with 87U complaints.

The 3100 isn't generally available in the UK, which is a shame.

I'm gutted about the 87U - mine is a very, very early unit, I got it basically the first day Amazon UK had them for sale. I had no issues at all with it until yesterday when it just had a fit and died.

I'm struggling here to justify the RT-AC88U - the TPLink VR2800 is looking like a great alternative, which would allow me to get rid of my VDSL modem. The VR400 is OK for an elcheapo, it's just a bit limp in the wifi department, and can't run a VPN server.

There are plenty of AC87-U's available and the AC3200 works well for me.

I have a AC88U since Asus released it and I have had any issue at all with it. Great performance and stability, so not sure about what issues are mentioned here (I haven't see any systematic issue on this model)

The only problem with the AC88-U is the UK price .

$352.95 US / £270 GBP ( and that has gone down from £365 )

What's your current VDSL modern? The tplink ac1900 I tried a while back was better than hh5a but not a patch on the hg612 modem. Slower speeds and much less stable. Also the tplink was very limited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the AC5300. It has three radios. The only downside is its ports. It looks better and well built.

Folks,

I've had an RT-AC87U for a long time, great router. Fast, brilliant signal everywhere in the house, and great performance from the OpenVPN server.

Sadly, it died yesterday, so I'm back to my pauper-spec spare router, a TPLink VR400 which gets me on the internet, but wifi signal is pants, and I've had to run up OpenVPN on an old Synology box which is slow as a slow thing that's not in a hurry.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a replacement for the AC87U. I don't really need a lot more spec than the 87U, but hoping for something that's going to last a bit longer.

Is the RT-AC88U a decent router?

Thanks!

You say it died. What happened to the unit? Depending on what happened, it may not be dead.

At a UK price (quoted above) of £270, any router would have to do something special, for home use anyway. I'm on a Amazon returned RT-N66U for £51 (I think it was) which works fine and looks indistinguishable from new. Maybe you could get a chunk of £££ off for a return.

My RT-N66U replaced an RT-16N which popped a power supply capacitor (easily replaced) which seems to be a regular with Asus. Mind you, after the repair, I sort of lost confidence in it hence the replacement. Still, if you have a dead router, presumably you have little to lose in removing a few screws and taking a look.

I'm wondering whether I dare hang a Raspberry Pi honeypot off that RT-16N...

Never buy a router from another country. It will be hard configured to a different region.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!