What's new

RT-AC86U AiMesh node died. What to replace it with?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DJLaz

Occasional Visitor
Came home today and found my RT-AC86U with the doomed LAN-port-4 light of death. Its way out warranty so seems I will need to replace it with something. It was in a wired backhaul to my main router, an RT-AX88U. What would be a good choice to replace the 86U? Another AX88U? I feel like that is overkill... it doesn't need to be top-spec, but don't want it too slow either.

RT-AX86U seems a bit pricey for just a node. Is there anything that would cheaper but still good in the ASUS lineup?

The RT-AX68U is what I would consider here. Depending on the price of course at your location.

Thanks all. Went with the AX68U for around $120 US. Seems like a reasonable deal -- hope this one lasts.

As I've mentioned previously (in other threads), you may want to consider making the RT-AX68U, AX class router, the main router. Much better router than the RT-AC86U.

Note in the post below, a single RT-AX68U outperformed 2x RT-AC86Us. Even if my customer insisted, he needed 2x RT-AX68Us in the end. :)

As I've mentioned previously (in other threads), you may want to consider making the RT-AX68U, AX class router, the main router. Much better router than the RT-AC86U.

Note in the post below, a single RT-AX68U outperformed 2x RT-AC86Us. Even if my customer insisted, he needed 2x RT-AX68Us in the end. :)

Perhaps you missed it in my post, my main router is an RT-AX88U. The AC86U was the node that failed. The AX88U is the superior device still yes?

My new setup will be AX88U (main) —> AX68U (wired backhaul) —> AC68U (wireless backhaul).

The AC68U amazingly is still in service after more than 10 years, and has even outlasted the 86U that kicked the bucket. :)

Sorry, I did miss that.

You may want to try the RT-AX68U in wireless backhaul mode then. And the RT-AC68U in wired backhaul mode. See if the overall network performance improves (it should, if the RT-AX68U will connect strongly to the RT-AX88U, distance-wise).

Funny, my Rt-AX58U v1 JUST died last night RIGHT after latest Asus fw update (6/2023). I'd be curious what fw you were running.

I also am in the market for new router. Hoping to find something better than the Rt-AX58U but my budget is $159 max. Any thoughts?