What's new

Time to replace my RT-AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

biohazardx9

New Around Here
since my trusty RT-AC88U is now EOL. time to upgrade.
Merlin firmware is my foremost feature.

can anyone suggest which out of the ROG AX routers is the best all round to get in terms of support longevity and features? I know my old AC88U can't do wireguard for example..
where I am in the UK, I can only get 300mbps internet (by robbing my poor wallet of over £60 a month I might add!) but at any given moment openreach could well turn up and rip the streets up to install full fibre.

what I don't want is to get a router and then in a year or so time find out its EOL. I want at least maybe 3 years or more support.

Appreciated in advance. - Merlin is great firmware and I wouldn't use anything else.

This recommendation hasn't changed for many months now.

The GT-AX6000, the RT-AX88U Pro, and as a last resort (very unbalanced hardware that is hard to recommend today, even with your current ISP speeds, now), the RT-AX86U Pro.

See which models are available in your area, and wait for a good sale if you can.

I agree that RMerlin is very good firmware but changing router that is good enough for next 10y is drastic decision :) I have AC56U in 4 locations and do not plan to change those before R.I.P.

if 4LANs will be acceptable for you, you can try Fresh Tomato before changing router.
https://freshtomato.org/downloads/freshtomato-arm/2023/2023.4/K26ARM714/

before flashing FT you would need to install the oldest AC88U RMerlin firmware

I would use FT all the time if it would be available for x86/x64

This recommendation hasn't changed for many months now.

The GT-AX6000, the RT-AX88U Pro, and as a last resort (very unbalanced hardware that is hard to recommend today, even with your current ISP speeds, now), the RT-AX86U Pro.

See which models are available in your area, and wait for a good sale if you can.
Great thanks. I will certainly look around for those.

I agree that RMerlin is very good firmware but changing router that is good enough for next 10y is drastic decision :) I have AC56U in 4 locations and do not plan to change those before R.I.P.

if 4LANs will be acceptable for you, you can try Fresh Tomato before changing router.
https://freshtomato.org/downloads/freshtomato-arm/2023/2023.4/K26ARM714/

before flashing FT you would need to install the oldest AC88U RMerlin firmware

I would use FT all the time if it would be available for x86/x64
May well be acceptable but with no more firmware updates and the fact I use vpn, I fear that if I don't switch I will..

A) get no security fixes
B) vpn provider requires newer open vpn version
C) some other mystery option appears
D) I live in a flat it's hyper congested here for WiFi. Having WiFi 6 ax will help avoid all that.
E) vpn director and dns director are awesome and I have not seen any other device use it.

I understood therefore I proposed FT as it have frequencies updates - as you see in my link folder name it s 4th update this year.

just an idea to play with what you have - eventually you can move to different solution as I did mini PC with OPNsense but I am using AC56U as wi-fi AP :) Even if you new router will be in service nice to have spare one for this few days. For example I have even Asus WL-500W working at one location.

I understood therefore I proposed FT as it have frequencies updates - as you see in my link folder name it s 4th update this year.

just an idea to play with what you have - eventually you can move to different solution as I did mini PC with OPNsense but I am using AC56U as wi-fi AP :) Even if you new router will be in service nice to have spare one for this few days. For example I have even Asus WL-500W working at one location.
I get you, and I would do opnsense for sure but probably overkill for what I need, and I have to think about other costs.
as for the AC88U I can re-use it for less critical stuff.

Is there a matrix somewhere that lists all the current Asus routers, how much memory they have, # cores, size of NVRAM, etc?

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.