What's new

Best router for OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

webo

New Around Here
I'm looking to setup an end-to-end VPN using OpenVPN and I need to find a stable router that can act as an OpenVPN endpoint and tunnel all encrypted traffic from its connected clients to an external server.

Any suggestions on a fast & stable router that can handle OpenVPN tunneling? I'm hoping for something around $100 or less but it all depends on the quality of the solution.

Tomato firmware variants are probably your best bet. Look into the refurb units of the E2000, E3000, or E4200v1.

Plenty of x86 *nix based distros that do this well also, you can recycle older computer gear. Endian, Untangle, PFSense...among many others.

Thanks for those suggestions, they're definitely putting me on the right path.

In terms of using an x86-based solution, I have some constraints that require that whatever gets implemented be as power-efficient as possible so a full-blown computer may not be as efficient as we're looking for.

The Linksys routers are a good recommendation, I was considering a router with external antennas like an Asus RT-N16 for the ability to attach a longer-range antenna for a potential project but I do have another router I could possibly use for that.

Thanks for the suggestions! I wish there was stable alternate firmware for the new Linksys EA4500 (1.2Ghz CPU which would be great for encryption/decryption) but I guess you can't have everything :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!