What's new

Best Router that lets you limit applications and give a application you using at the moment bandwidt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ng4ever

Regular Contributor
I am looking for a router with a 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload connection that can limit application download speeds when other more important things are using the internet. Plus give applications that are in use at the moment or right now the most bandwidth.

If this is even possible.

Get a EdgeRouter X or EdgeRouter X SFP, low cost routers.

Plus give applications that are in use at the moment or right now the most bandwidth.

A router has no way of knowing which application you are using "at the moment". All it sees is traffic coming from and going to specific devices.

The type of feature you are talking about in a single device generally requires much more powerful and specialized hardware and software to be able to actually identify and control traffic from specific applications.

Now, there are routers that can prioritize based upon ports and IPs....but auto detection of apps doesn't generally fall into the realm of consumer gear. This is pretty much what most QoS implementations in consumer routers does. You write rules that match on IPs or ports, drop them into some sort of queuing mechanism that prioritizes the traffic and delivers or delays as needed. But you must define the rules.

A router can limit a receiver to use internet access, it can also deny the internet access. But a router cannot control the speed limit for applications. The application itself sometimes comes with the feature of speed limit for download.
All the best.

I am looking for a router with a 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload connection that can limit application download speeds when other more important things are using the internet. Plus give applications that are in use at the moment or right now the most bandwidth.

If this is even possible.

I don't know your network knowledge level or your budget but Untangle can do some of what your asking, maybe all, as I can't tell exactly what your trying to do.
https://www.untangle.com/