What's new

Best way to extend range for N router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oldtrlrnr

New Around Here
I'm shopping for an 802.11n router to boost the speed of my wireless communications, but am also very interested in extending range, mainly to help a few friends who have coverage problems. I plan to get a solution and test it in my home before recommending it to friends.

An additional AP with powerline Ethernet is an obvious way to go, but I'm also considering router & client with high-gain antennae. Not sure how much these help in environments with metal interference, such as foil-backed insulation.

I've looked at the Buffalo AirStation routers & their companion clients. Other routers with external antennae that could accommodate high-gain antennae might also provide good range.

Thought I'd ask the community for opinions before I jump in.

Appreciate any suggestions.

antennas and positioning are the key. And adding access points. assuming the friends are not in the same home/building...
For your friends to share your service (beware your ISP's contract conditions), a good way to go is a bridge/AP such as
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168083

or an equivalent. Point it in the direction of the distant user (say, 1500 ft. or less, with fairly clear line of sight, and elevated as you can. Mount outside on the eaves?)

Same building/home, then use HomePNA and access points (re-purposed WiFi routers, with unused WAN port).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!