What's new

[Beta 382] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.2 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I briefly tried 382.2_beta3 but it caused an issue with IPv6 so I rolled back to beta_2 which works fine.

There's absolutely no code difference between beta 2 and beta 3 on the RT-AC88U, the changes are specific to the RT-AC86U and RT-AC56U, so the issue is definitely not related to the firmware upgrade.

Would flashing generate anything that is not displayed in the syslog? I haven't performed a hard reset since I flashed to the 384.10007 factory firmware. Thanks Merlin.

Would flashing generate anything that is not displayed in the syslog?

It would cause your router to reboot and your WAN to be renewed - that alone might fix various issues.

It would cause your router to reboot and your WAN to be renewed - that alone might fix various issues.
I can tell you that on my router that beta3 caused issues that beta2 doesn't. I look forward to your 384 iteration of this firmware.:D

I seem to be having issues with BT IPTV with beta 2. I have a fairly good download speed of 45-50Mbps.

If I watch one HD channel speed drops to 20-25Mbps and if I record it and switch to another IPTV channel it’s unwatchable (pixelated no sound etc) and the remaining bandwidth drops to around 2Mbps with ping in the many 100’s. The HD channels run around 7-7.5Mbps.

A router reboot corrects things for a few hours (so with above scenario the second HD channel is fine and am left with 30-35 Mbps) but then it deteriorates again.

Running RT-AC68U. Anyone else having issues with IPTV?

HB

RT-AC68U 382.3A. I’m still getting traffic slowdown when dealing with a modest load or more. Only a reboot temporarily cures it.

Is this a known issue with 382? Is it fixed in 384?

HB

For anyone interested I think I’ve found a solution. After lots of trial and error tonight I found that something has changed with the DNS filtering (within AiProtection). I have had Norton Family set as the router default since introduced with none of the issues described in my posts above until 382 and 384.

Creating a ‘no filter’ rule for my YouView box (IPTV) cures all of the problems that I was experiencing. I can now record and watch another HD IPTV channel and still have 30-35Mbps bandwidth left as I did before.

Edit. 2 hours later it is back again. Ugh! :-/

HB

Last edited:
I'm running the AC68u and DnsCrypt is broken, is anyone else running it with success ?
reset the router and reinstalled the dnscrypt script 3 times now with no luck.

no point even reporting anything, this is not supported now and won't be updated, don't waste efforts I say, wait for 384 base to spend your time on. I had a feeling this was going to happen when Asus dropped the 384 code. sucks RMerlin has to go through all this

no point even reporting anything, this is not supported now and won't be updated, don't waste efforts I say, wait for 384 base to spend your time on. I had a feeling this was going to happen when Asus dropped the 384 code. sucks RMerlin has to go through all this

I didn't abandon 382.2 because Asus released 384, I did so because it contains some bugs related to, among other things, the Trend Micro code, which I cannot fix, and have been fixed in 384_10007. So no point in continuing work on a release which I know I cannot fix to a satisfactory level when already fixed code is now available.

I have a simple (?) question and am not sure where to put it--this seems as good a spot as any:

I recently got an 86U so I could continue to use Merlin's firmware for my router. I have now relegated my two N66U's for Access Point duty. Both N66U's currently have Merlin's 380.69. I have more than adequate wireless coverage with them now.

What should be my firmware path for them going forward? Leave them as is, Merlin's 382 beta, John's fork, Asus' future stock firmware (if they have any), something else?

I don't have a final answer yet, but initial tests are hinting that supporting it properly might not be possible. While merging the GPL code I already spotted a couple of problems that might prevent AiMesh from working on Asuswrt-Merlin. Inter node communications is entirely closed source, including the trigger for new firmware checks and uploads. The new firmware check procedure for instance didn't work at all, possibly because the procedure is hardcoded inside the closed source AiMesh service, so it was contacting Asus's servers instead of mine.

For now my focus is just on getting all models to run on 384_10007. After that I will take a closer look at AiMesh, but at a first look, the chances of Asuswrt-Merlin supporting AiMesh are very slim.

@RMerlin, I understand you are still reviewing the aimesh impact, does asus take feedback to facilitate compatibility for asuswrt-rmerlin to co-exist? if not, it would nice to still allow for aimesh in asuswrt- rmerlin with various caveats, in this case for e.g. nodes and router needs to be updated manually

I have a simple (?) question and am not sure where to put it--this seems as good a spot as any:

I recently got an 86U so I could continue to use Merlin's firmware for my router. I have now relegated my two N66U's for Access Point duty. Both N66U's currently have Merlin's 380.69. I have more than adequate wireless coverage with them now.

What should be my firmware path for them going forward? Leave them as is, Merlin's 382 beta, John's fork, Asus' future stock firmware (if they have any), something else?

There won't be any 382 release from me for the RT-N66U. No idea what are Asus's plans, last news I heard was only that they would still be supporting it.

My recommendation would be to move to John's work to get up-to-date security updates. I will probably provide critical security updates to 380.xx for at least a few months, but no more.

@RMerlin, I understand you are still reviewing the aimesh impact, does asus take feedback to facilitate compatibility for asuswrt-rmerlin to co-exist? if not, it would nice to still allow for aimesh in asuswrt- rmerlin with various caveats, in this case for e.g. nodes and router needs to be updated manually

Asus's current priority is making it work properly for themselves. AiMesh still has a few issues they are working on.

Hi ! I'm using a RT-AC68U under 382.2_beta3 and find out that the Web Histoiry in this verison is sorted by Domain Name, rather than Date as per the previous version.

Will the AC68U jump directly to 382 or 384? How much longer could we keep using our AC68U?

Thank you for your development efforts. You deserve all the attention and popularity :D

Will the AC68U jump directly to 382 or 384? How much longer could we keep using our AC68U?

Thank you for your development efforts. You deserve all the attention and popularity :D

The RT-AC68U will be supported by 384.3, in addition to the 382.2 beta.

If I understood correctly, @RMerlin has stopped working on the 382 branch due to unfixable bugs in closed source components.

As for the 384 branch, there's a pre-release test build available (see this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/preview-asuswrt-merlin-384-3-pre-release-test-builds.44060/) also for the RT-AC68U. Keep in mind, this is a first alpha, so you might run into (still to be solved) issues. I've been running it for several days now and even though QoS still has issues and some minor cosmetic things, I'm pleasantly surprised for it's stability, given the fact that is a first alpha.

As for your last question: I can't speak for @RMerlin off course, but I'm confident that as long as ASUS supports this model (and they still do) and @RMerlin keeps up his continious efforts to develop and maintain Asuswrt-Merlin, we probably have nothing to worry about and can keep using our RT-AC68U for quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!