What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated my 2 RT-AC68U AP's and RT-AC86U router from 384.4 alpha1 to 384.4 beta1. No restore was done. All is well so far.

Do you need to configure your 68U as an AP? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC87U. DLNA is a bit flaky. It disconnects randomly. Is does not find all of the files/folders. Some folders appear only after I modify the name on the disk.

Similar issues here on the 87u... it doesn't disconnect but it doesn't find all the files... I get memory errors in some specific files in the minidlna.log file and it happens with video files that have many audio tracks and/or subtitles... I guess it has to do with the fact this firmware uses more memory so there's less memory available for DLNA to scan file metadata... I used a program called MKVToolNix to remove unused audio tracks and subtitles from mkv movies and now the files are properly scanned and shown in the DLNA list of files...

Hope that helps,

Cheers.

D.

btw... since sd–idle was merged to ASUS' I don't see the "spinning up xxxx after yyyy" messages in the general log... I've tried several log levels but I just don't see the messages when my disks spin up or down.

Does anybody know if these messages are actually logged anymore? I'd like to know when my HD's spin up or down by reading the log just to make sure my HDD's are not spinning up in the middle of the night for some reason... (HDD firmware for example).

Thanks.

D.

Do you need to configure your 68U as an AP? Thanks.

Well, yes, one router, two AP’s, to give strong coverage over a large area. Probably overkill. I’m old school and prefer wired connections. 3 devices, 6 SSID’s, allows to choose the stronger signal if not automatically done, which usually occurs. Until AIMesh and Smart Connect mature, seems to work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

btw... since sd–idle was merged to ASUS' I don't see the "spinning up xxxx after yyyy" messages in the general log... I've tried several log levels but I just don't see the messages when my disks spin up or down.

Does anybody know if these messages are actually logged anymore? I'd like to know when my HD's spin up or down by reading the log just to make sure my HDD's are not spinning up in the middle of the night for some reason... (HDD firmware for example).

Thanks.

D.

After merging with 16466 code, I couldn't see the log in syslog page anymore.
I reverted sd-idle-2.6.c file to older version manually..
I never learned computer language, so I just guess printf make message in shell only.

Last edited:
@RMerlin
On my ac5300 router running beta1, every 30 seconds or so, one of the cpu cores spikes up to 100%. Using 'ps' in a shell I see the execution of this shell and openssl command. I have never seen this, prior to alpha 1. Is this correct and neccesary?
9372 xxxx 1412 S {gencfgcert.sh} /bin/sh /usr/sbin/gencfgcert.sh
9380 xxxx 3228 R openssl req -new -out /etc/cfg_mnt/cert.csr -keyout /etc/cfg_mnt/privkey.pem -newkey rsa:2048 -passout pass: passw

Last edited:
@RMerlin
On my ac5300 router running beta1, every 30 seconds or so, one of the cpu cores spikes up to 100%. Using 'ps' in a shell I see the execution of this shell and openssl command. I have never seen this, prior to alpha 1. Is this correct and neccesary?

I had the same issue. Merlin advised me to flash 384.4_beta2-ga63b156 on my AC-88u and it was fixed. I think you need to wait for the same firmware for your AC-5300 :/

still experiencing very low write 10MB/read 16 MB speed using HDD connected to usb 3.0 port. (via WIFI)

Look into our SMB discussion here about ways to improve preformance 2x - 3x depending on your device.

@RMerlin I update my RT-AC68U to 384-4 beta 1 and I have notice a reduction in the wifi range. Previously I haven't had any problem reaching my laptop at my home office but now there's almost no coverage with a lot of disconnections. Do you know what could it be that make this issue?

huge ram usage

Router - RT-AC5300 / 384-4 beta 1

sTnzXf2.png

yes, the gain is about 100% but still unacceptable taking price of RT-AC5300 (20MB write and 35MB read)

It's a hardware limitation (the older kernel probably doesn't help either).

With a newer CPU like the AC86U has I've been able to get numbers of.. Write = 50MB/s - Read = 80MB/s

i can't remember past numbers, perhaps were not necesary in those days, (now I measured after transmission has been installed at entware)

but now, I am highly dissapointed that high-class router RT-AC5300 is constantly beaten by low or middle-class Rt-AC86..maybe it is a time to say 'good bye' to 5300 and buy something like RT-AC86?

is it enought powerful to withstand:
-entware
-ab-solution
-skynet
-transmission??

i forgot that VPN server performance that i still use is very important

Last edited:
i can't remember past numbers, perhaps were not necesary in those days, (now I measured after transmission has been installed at entware)

but now, I am highly dissapointed that high-class router RT-AC5300 is constantly beaten by low or middle-class Rt-AC86..maybe it is a time to say 'good bye' to 5300 and buy something like RT-AC86?
is it enought powerful to withstand:
-entware
-ab-solution
-skynet
-transmission??

RT-AC86U is a first runner of generational replacement in ASUS router world.
Same cpu will be used on the next AX routers of ASUS.
I think AC87U AC3200 AC3100 AC88U AC5300 all are the victims.
Only AC88U has the value as 8 ports router.

RT-AC86U is a first runner of generational replacement in ASUS router world.
Same cpu will be used on the next AX routers of ASUS.
I think AC87U AC3200 AC3100 AC88U AC5300 all are the victims.
Only AC88U has the value as 8 ports router.
AC88U has 8 ports 1.4 dual core proc. The AC3100 which is exactly the same router with 4 ports. These are good routers and will not be out of the loop for a long long time.

is it [86U] enought powerful to withstand:
-entware
-ab-solution
-skynet
-transmission??

Besides Transmission, I'm running all those things on my 86U (1 VPN client and 1 server). Usage cases differ, obviously - I only have 5 clients permanently connected - but it's handling this with ease.

@RMerlin

Known issue, already resolved locally.

yes, the gain is about 100% but still unacceptable taking price of RT-AC5300 (20MB write and 35MB read)

The price you're paying is for a tri-band router, not for a NAS. This device is simply not able to reach higher performance than 35-50 Mbps.

If you need better NAS performance, you need to use a real NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!