What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update to beta 3 and now I'm having problems with QoS starting. Here is the error message:
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

My RT-AC87U worked flawless in beta2. Should I do a factory reset?

I'm getting the same on my RT-AC87U.

Update to beta 3 and now I'm having problems with QoS starting. Here is the error message:
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Mar 11 09:28:07 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Mar 11 09:28:10 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!

My RT-AC87U worked flawless in beta2. Should I do a factory reset?

Ive been getting those since the alpha.
Did a factory reset on beta 1 still didnt stop the error.

QOS works properly as far as i can tell though.

Ive been getting those since the alpha.
Did a factory reset on beta 1 still didnt stop the error.

QOS works properly as far as i can tell though.
I was able to eliminate the QoS messages by doing the following:
1. Turn QoS off in the QoS tab.
2. Turn Apps Analysis off in the Bandwith Monitor tab.
3. Reboot router
4. Turn on QoS
5. Turn on Apps analysis

So far so good, let me know if that helps on your router too?

Nope it changes instantly as some as qos finishes priority changes, game mode is open, if I change it to custom it goes moderate then when I changed it back to games is open again.

Then I don't know. I still think you are wasting way too much efforts in this, without even knowing if the issue isn't the test procedure itself rather than anything else. What matters is that the game works, not what whichever obscure test Microsoft is doing gets passed.

I noticed the other day that all the maps on the usb-drive on my AC-5300 were shared on my network. I could open them with the username/password for my router. These are the settings I used for years but now it looks like 'Enable Share Off' does not work.

Disable the WINS and Master Browser options. Those require Samba to be running, it's possible that libdisk still configures shares even if sharing isn't enabled, causing shares to become available along with these options.

I will probably eventually tie the share option to these two settings.

OpenVPN was broken in beta 2, working again in beta 3 on 87U. Thank you Merlin for updating so fast.

There wasn't a single change to OpenVPN if you look at the changelog... That changelog I posted is the complete list of Github commits (minus those about documentation).

There must be over a dozen posts about this already - please use a forum search on the error message.

After update to beta 3 and after a connection via VPN I find these warning messages in General Log:

This has nothing to do with OpenVPN, those error messages indicate you have a client on your network that's trying to use SMBv1 while you have the router set to use SMBv2. Please read the Changelog for more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: pmm
BTW with a NAS it's not that hard provided there is enough caching to cover the seek times. If you have a 4-drive RAID5 to get 90MB/s (c. 1xGbE) you need to read 30MB/s from each of the drives. Modern drives can do a significant multiple of that. For example my fairly cheap (£334 IIRC) 4-bay NAS (Qnap TS-453A) is specified by them to get over 400MB/s for reads and writes (which will require all 4 Ethernet ports aggregated but only c. 140MB/s for each drive).

Multiple file accesses in parallel will lead to severe head movement, which will seriously downgrade throughput. Caches can only help to the extent that you are accessing the same file as before.

If the files are small enough to be in cache, then you don't need link aggregation anyway. Link aggregation is useful when transferring large amounts of data simultaneously, in which case that data won't be in cache.

The maximum throughput I have seen from a mechanical hard drive is around 150 MB/s, and that will be with a single IO thread. Those drives scale poorly when you increase the number of threads.

re b3

Just a few things, I noticed, none were game changers, and provided just for your knowledge @RMerlin

I needed to reboot modem today and my 5300 actually reported back an 192.168.1.10 address. (If I recall correctly, I rebooted router as soon as I noticed the issue.) I needed to reboot the router to get it to pull in my public IP, my public ip did not change before/after reboot.

After router reboot, GUI failed to show connected drive, usb 2 port, a quick page change and back and it showed up. I only mention this as I never saw it before. No concern here.

* Not related to b3 : provided as background for my comment above re reboot.

For some reason if my modem stays active over the course of a week my upload slowly decreases to 5 from a provisioned 20. As soon as a reboot occurs my upload jumps back up. Usually Saturdays, which are my normal work period for my Spectrum area...

Ah Spectrum, at least I know what to do to keep my speeds up.Easily verifiable reboot get speeds back... :(

AC86U - After Beta 3, can't get the 2.4 Wireless radio to enable. 2.4 LED on unit is OFF and Devices can't see the SSID. Can't seem to enable it via Web UI. Also, in UI, Client list seems to refresh every few seconds, and it only sees wired clients, even though 5 GHz radio is working and clients are using it.

Also, seem to get bumped off the UI, back to the Login Screen randomly. Using both EDGE and Chrome. Tried to change settings in 2.4 Wireless, but clicking "Apply" does nothing - like the request is not being sent to the router. I've cleared browser data with no effect.

Last edited:
I'm on 384.4 B3 on 86U no current wireless issues however unless I perform a manual reboot (as directed) the UI can be unresponsive i.e it will not apply a QoS setting. Obviously there's a difference in behaviour from a manual reboot and the web UI reboot.

AC86U - After Beta 3, can't get the 2.4 Wireless radio to enable. 2.4 LED on unit is OFF and Devices can't see the SSID. Can't seem to enable it via Web UI. Also, in UI, Client list seems to refresh every few seconds, and it only sees wired clients, even though 5 GHz radio is working and clients are using it.

Also, seem to get bumped off the UI, back to the Login Screen randomly. Using both EDGE and Chrome. Tried to change settings in 2.4 Wireless, but clicking "Apply" does nothing - like the request is not being sent to the router. I've cleared browser data with no effect.

Never experienced a problem with 2.4ghz radio. Beta 3 installed fine on my ac86u

Updated my AC86U from Beta 2 to Beta 3. This time my SSL certificate/key were used (not overwritten).

RT-AC86U with beta3 WiFi 2G and 4G changes on channel or bandwith dont apply, have to reboot to get changes active.

On RT-AC68U working well without reboot, strange behavior to me ...

Never experienced a problem with 2.4ghz radio. Beta 3 installed fine on my ac86u
Just did a Factory reset and reconfiged the basic setup via UI. Still no 2.4 network. Dropping back to Beta 2 where things worked better. For me this is similar to what I experienced with Beta 1. Issues with 2.4 network and UI. I need to be stable for work tomorrow, so no more Beta 3 testing today.

Getting openvpn errors in the log:

Mar 11 16:55:31 rc_service: service 19834:notify_rc start_vpnclient1
Mar 11 16:55:31 rc_service: waitting "stop_vpnclient1" via ...
Mar 11 16:55:31 ovpn-client1[17660]: event_wait : Interrupted system call (code=4)
Mar 11 16:55:34 openvpn-routing: Configuring policy rules for client 1
Mar 11 16:55:34 ovpn-client1[17660]: ERROR: Linux route delete command failed: external program exited with error status: 2
Mar 11 16:55:34 ovpn-client1[17660]: ERROR: Linux route delete command failed: external program exited with error status: 2
Mar 11 16:55:34 rc_service: service 19914:notify_rc updateresolv

Someone doesn't know how to spell "waiting".

Just did a Factory reset and reconfiged the basic setup via UI. Still no 2.4 network. Dropping back to Beta 2 where things worked better. For me this is similar to what I experienced with Beta 1. Issues with 2.4 network and UI. I need to be stable for work tomorrow, so no more Beta 3 testing today.
Dropped Back to Beta 2. 2.4 Wireless still DOA. Worked fine before updating to Beta 3. Another Factory Reset, and still no 2.4 Radio. Hard to believe the update to Beta 3 could kill the radio. Looking for suggestions.

Dropped Back to Beta 2. 2.4 Wireless still DOA. Worked fine before updating to Beta 3. Another Factory Reset, and still no 2.4 Radio. Hard to believe the update to Beta 3 could kill the radio. Looking for suggestions.
Use the reset button and then power it down for 15-30 seconds? Just throwing things out.

Try unplugging the router for 10 minutes or something to ensure its brains are completely de-scrambled?

Try unplugging the router for 10 minutes or something to ensure its brains are completely de-scrambled?
Tried that early on. I finally had to reflash back to 384.3 merlin release and hard-reset. After reboot, the 2.4 Wireless came back online. Restored my config from 384.3 and all seems to be fine now. Not sure what clobbered the 2.4 radio. Guess I'll tread lightly on the next beta.

All working ok here.

[Edit:] Wi-Fi scheduled off/on times are still deleted whenever the router is rebooted.

Last edited:
iPhone X link speed in 5 GHz band is limited to 433Mbps in this B3 at a distance that used to link @866Mbps. It used to link high at beta2 or beta1 if I remember it correctly.

RT-AC68P

I have always been using this utility https://www.snbforums.com/threads/user-nvram-save-restore-utility-r26-2.19521/ to "manually" restore the settings after a factory reset, but if I'm not misinterpreting things, this utility no longer works under NG, or am I misinterpreting things? So far it has really been a time saver for me as it takes such a long time to set everything up again after a reset.

Similar question though maybe more basic. I know I am advised to do a factory reset before moving from 380 to 384. Am I correct that I cannot restore those settings to 384. I.e. they are more than just a list of tagged parameters that can be read by newer versions of firmware.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!