What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 2 is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.59 Beta 2 is now available for all models.

See this thread for the changes in Beta 1.

List of changes since 380.59 Beta 1:

Code:
da78c52 Bumped revision to 380.59 Beta 2
e3a9a06 Updated documentation
787169e Merge branch 'qos'
20563f5 webui: don't show the MU-MIMO flag if not on a BCM MU-MIMO capable platform (QTN does not report it)
04d9c9a qos: Finetune fq_codel parameters
20cc630 qos: Replace some SFQ instances that had been missed in the bandwidth limiter
1cb7e2f qos: only support codel/fq_codel on ARM platform (2.6.36 kernel)
17dc2ae webui: Added setting to switch between sfq, codel and fq_codel for QoS
7069a66 Updated RT-N66U binary blobs from GPL 2695
9993b4b openvpn: Policy-rule mode is 2, not 3.  Properly skip modifying dnsmasq while in policy mode.
de9d767 Updated RT-AC56U binary blobs from GPL 2695
884f209 kernel-7114: Reapply 2697 GPL change that was accidentally skipped during a test
0f184c5 kernel-arm: Enable IFB and MIRRED, used by OpenWRT's QoS scripts
df007e3 iproute2-3.x: Updated to 3.19.0 (includes fq_codel support)
4436e88 qos: Add support for codel and fq_codel to Traditionnal QoS and Bandwidth Limiter (nvram-controlable for now - experimental)
8db76e6 kernel-arm: Implement codel and fq_codel support
77191ed kernel-arm: Implement vzalloc macro (backport from kernel.org upstream)

The biggest change in this build is the addition of the fq_codel queue discipline, used to manage traffic when enabling either Traditional QoS or Bandwidth Limiter. (fq_)codel is designed to replace sfq as a queue management discipline, which is used to handle traffic in a QoS setup. It should notably improve upon latency (your ping time while other traffic is being transferred, often referred to as bufferbloat).

Important notes:
  • This new scheduler is only available on ARM models (that means no RT-N66U or RT-AC66U. Their kernel is simply too old.)
  • Traditional QoS is currently broken on the RT-AC88U and newer models, possibly also on the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 (unconfirmed on these two models).
  • Downstream QoS is probably still not working much better than with SFQ, as this would require a different QoS setup based on IFB. IFB support was enabled in the kernel, but it's currently not used by the firmware.
  • codel and fq_codel are designed for much newer kernel versions. To be FULLY effective, they require other features that are not available in the current 2.6.36 kernel, nor in the Ethernet driver used by Broadcom. Therefore, don't expect to have the exact same level of efficiency as experienced by OpenWRT, which uses an appropriate Linux kernel version.
  • It's currently not possible to change Adaptive QoS to use fq_codel, as the qosd code is closed source.

Please test it out as thoroughly as possible. The scheduler can be selected from the QoS configuration page. Things that need to be tested, and if possibly compared to when using the former default scheduler (SFQ):

• See how it performs when trying to browse the web or stream audio/video while running a torrent
  • Bufferbloat results on the DSLReport's speed test
  • Any difference in ping time when doing it at the same time as downloading or uploading
  • Any difference when using VoIP at the same time as any other type of activity
  • If you use the Bandwidth Limiter, any difference in performance, ping time, etc...

When reporting QoS results, please make sure you specify the following:
  • Router model
  • Down/Up speed of your connection
  • Down/Up speed you entered on the QoS configuration page (it's recommended to use 90-95% of your maximum speed)
  • Connection type (ADSL, Cable, Fiber, etc...)
  • List any QoS user rule you might have added in addition to those already there by default

Once again, keep in mind that this is currently experimental. Test results and user feedback will determine whether this feature will remain in the firmware, or if it will get removed.

Special credits goes to Kyle Sanderson for the original backport of fq_codel to 2.6.36, from his Tomato fork.

In other news, a security update is planned this week for OpenSSL. This update should be getting merged in the final 380.59 release, once it comes out.

Thanks everyone who tested and reported on Beta 1, which allowed to nail a few issues.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Known issues:

• Traditional QoS is broken on the RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300 (Asus issue). Unsure about the RT-AC87U or RT-AC3200.
  • Manufacturer identification doesn't work properly on Networkmap if you access the router over https (some browsers block the http:// link to Asus's OUI database) (fixed)
  • RT-AC56U LEDs don't all lit (only Power does) (fixed)

Last edited:
For people who want to experiment even further in bufferbloat reduction, try reducing your network interface queue lengths on your router:

Code:
echo "8" > /sys/class/net/eth0/tx_queue_len
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth1/tx_queue_len
echo "40" > /sys/class/net/eth2/tx_queue_len

These would work for any router models. They won't survive a reboot (and probably won't survive a restart of the wifi/WAN either)

(idea taken from one of the OpenWRT developers)

Seems to work fine on my N66. UI seemed a bit sluggish at first, but it's snappy again now. Makes me wonder how much longer we can expect support for these little guys. Thanks, Merlin, for keeping the torch alive.

Thanks for the heads up on traditional QOS. I've been using Adaptive since day one, and have had no issues/reasons to use the traditional. But adaptive works fine on my end

When you say that traditional QOS is broken on the AC88U, does that mean your new fq_codel won't work or just the stock ASUS sfq?

When you say that traditional QOS is broken on the AC88U, does that mean your new fq_codel won't work or just the stock ASUS sfq?
The settings will work that Merlin added, just the QoS system itself doesn't properly work. With Traditional QoS, as soon as you give a device/service a priority, download speed's cap out around 16-18mbps max for me at least. So the system itself breaks, and doesn't work properly with these newer routers right now.

I'm very happy Merlin has been putting in a bit of work on the QoS side, as it could use a bit of work. But he's very limited in what he can do with most of the QoS being closed sourced. I would love to see "queue discipline" be an option if ever possible for Adaptive QoS. I honestly don't see "Traditional QoS" becoming usable again on these newer routers. I do know Merlin has did a bit of digging regarding its issue's, and so there's a little hope it could be fixed at some point, just not very likely. I plan to test this queue discipline out with bandwidth limiter, as Merlin already knows from me bugging him a bit lately, I would love a bit more advanced QoS from Asus.. so it's nice to see him added this on his own time. So thanks again Merlin, and I apologize for the amount of questions as of late.

Personally, if I decide to upgrade my RT-AC56U in the future and ASUS only offers the adaptive QoS I'm going to wave them goodbye and look for some OpenWRT router or even make my own router box. The adaptive QoS is very easy to use but it just doesn't do it's job well enough which becomes more obvious the lower your upload speed, and mine is just 5Mbps. Then again, I guess I'm not the average buyer, since I have enough skills to use and adapt the traditional QoS system with the user scripts.

RT-AC66U.
380.59b1/b2 wireless speed is definitely lower than with 380.57/58.
Say, 50-55 MB/s vs 65-70 MB/s in the same conditions.

So is there any chance to reenable IPTV in 380.58 or to switch off "hourly network scan" in 380.57?

Neither of them will work.

I have a RT-AC3100, beta 2 is running great. Only thing I have noticed is that the Bandwidth Monitor isn't showing accuratly. Other than that working perfect.

RT-AC66U.
380.59b1/b2 wireless speed is definitely lower than with 380.57/58.
Say, 50-55 MB/s vs 65-70 MB/s in the same conditions.

So is there any chance to reenable IPTV in 380.58 or to switch off "hourly network scan" in 380.57?

I only maintain one single version, I don't go back releasing updates to previous versions.

What kind of wifi interface are you using that can give you 700 Mbps on this router?

What kind of wifi interface are you using that can give you 700 Mbps on this router?
BCM94360/943460 give good results.
I've wrote here.

Not 700 Mbps maybe. But near that:

111.png

I have a Samsung TV which connects over 2.4Ghz WiFi on my RT-AC87U, and although I've set the name in the Network Map; the Wireless Clients log (System Log -> Wireless Log) shows it as having no name, the name field is just blank. Network map works fine, other devices also seem fine.

*EDIT: I noticed that when it switches over from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz, then the name shows as a "*" instead of just blank... which also isn't really correct either.

It's probably always been this way, only noticed it now though.

Sent from my  iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
i just flashed beta2 over beta1 on my ac68u without factory reset after upgrade.....it running ok i think....

What exactly is the difference between the beta and alpha firmware? I have the Asus RT-AC88U

What exactly is the difference between the beta and alpha firmware? I have the Asus RT-AC88U
beta version should be more stable with fixed bugs if they present at alpha version.....

beta version should be more stable with fixed bugs if they present at alpha version.....

I now have the latest Alpha 2 run, this has been working for 13 days (up and running) and am very satisfied with it. And before I switch to the Beta 2 should be an improvement.

The latest BETA builds seem to be working fine on my 87U. With reference to QOS what are you guys recommending with the 87U with this BETA? It looks like there could be some improvements in this build, should be a good test.

I have 3 kids in the house on tablets/PCs on a 37/10 MB connection. YouTube, TVNow, Amazon Prime, gaming.

Anyone else having issues with the last merlin builds (and official asus builds as well) on the ac88u? My traffic monitor is absolutely messed up, 3 hours of netflix only used 8MB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!