What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 Beta 1 is now available for all supported models.

The main change versus 380.60 beta was the merge of Asus's GPL 380_3831, which should resolve various issues, and add support for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U missing in the previous beta.

This version is also compatible with the new firmware format used by Asus since 380_3xxx.

The main change since 380.61 alpha 2 was a fix for the b/g protection checkbox that couldn't be disabled if Wireless mode was set to Auto.

EDIT: Also, dropbear was updated to 2016.74, as this version should finally resolve the SSH port forwarding issue introduced by 2015.68.

EDIT2: 380.61 Beta 2 is now available, fixing a long-time issue with OpenVPN's status report, and reverting a lot of Asus's custom code in minidlna. For any DLNA-related feedback, please use this separate thread.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Last edited:
Reserved post.

I just installed the new Beta 1 on top of Alpha 2 who has been running flawlessly for the last 6 days, so far Beta 1 is running fine, thanks a lot for the great work!!

Router: AC5300

I had 0 problems with 380.60 b1, b2, and 380.61 a1 but after the horrible experience I had with 380.61 a2 I'm kind of gun shy to upgrade now. I realize that the issues seem to be in the closed-source code but do you have any feeling from Asus about whether they are even acknowledging these issues and trying to fix them? I realize that people tend to post more about negatives than positives but between 380.60/61, it seemed like at least 60% of the people had serious issues.

I had 0 problems with 380.60 b1, b2, and 380.61 a1 but after the horrible experience I had with 380.61 a2 I'm kind of gun shy to upgrade now. I realize that the issues seem to be in the closed-source code but do you have any feeling from Asus about whether they are even acknowledging these issues and trying to fix them? I realize that people tend to post more about negatives than positives but between 380.60/61, it seemed like at least 60% of the people had serious issues.

The only recurring issue in 380.60 was WAN disconnects for some users, the vast majority of which reported no longer having any problem with 380.61. So far the 380.61 code feedback has been very positive.

There was almost no code change between alpha 1 and alpha 2, so I doubt that your issue was introduced by alpha 2. Alpha 2 was mostly about compiling for other missing router models.

The only recurring issue in 380.60 was WAN disconnects for some users, the vast majority of which reported no longer having any problem with 380.61. So far the 380.61 code feedback has been very positive.

There was almost no code change between alpha 1 and alpha 2, so I doubt that your issue was introduced by alpha 2. Alpha 2 was mostly about compiling for other missing router models.

I definitely had the WAN disconnect issue and it was under 380.61 a2. It may not have been due directly to a2 and may have just been a timing issue. I'm not sure what exactly triggers the WAN issue. I had an issue that caused me to have to power cycle my cable modem when I upgraded to a2. It was the next day that I had the WAN disconnect issue.

I'm sure you were paying closer attention than me, but it seemed like I saw significantly more people posting about WAN issues with 61 than 60, although I did see that most of the people who reported issues in 60 claim they were resolved in 61. I'm thinking the issues need something to trigger them. I had upgraded to all the releases of 380.60 and 380.61 on the day you released them with 100% uptime until the next version came out and never had an issue until a2.

Another change I forgot to include in the changelog: Dropbear was upgraded to 2016.74, as this version should finally resolve the port forward issue introduced in 2015.68. Please confirm that it does work properly now, and that there is no regression introduced by the update.

Installed on my RT-AC68U. Once again, the System log has DHCP assignment entries and past reboots and firmware updates in it going back to April 10th or so even though I cleared it on July 28th.

Now, what's odd is that the log file I just saved after installing beta 1 is not as big as the one I did on July 28th (281KB now vs 422KB July 28th). So, some things get removed but not all and come back.

I've cleared the log again. Will see what it does the next time I upgrade the firmware. If I SSH into it, where is the log stored? It's not that big a deal, just odd behavior it seems.

Well, I found it in /tmp/syslog.log and it only contains 5 lines now. Hmmm.. wait and see with next update.

Last edited:
No idea what's changed but the upgrade was done by 60% and the interface was snappy and fast straight away, on the 360 beta it had the problem with it being nearly unusable for the 1st minute after an update/reboot.

(and yes it does say I am on the new beta on both ac68u's)

Last edited:
First off I love your builds and my router...:) I had excellent luck with 59 and skipped all the 60 builds. 61A2 seemed very stable and I just upgraded to 61B1. So far still seems very stable (all on my RT-AC5300.

I do have one comment (that is not new to this build but still needs mentioned in my opinion). If I have QOS off the Traffic Analysis page seems to count both upload and download correctly. If I turn Adaptive QOS on (and I have all other settings such that CTF is also on) then I see the following.

On the Traffic Monitor screen Real Time always shows almost exactly the same number in the Reception and Transmission areas (even when this is not true) and on the Daily Screen the Transmission number will always be just a little higher than the Reception number (Almost to the point where it looks like it is including all the Reception and Transmission data in the Transmission number but I'm not sure that this is true).

Also, on the QOS screen with the meters for both a Download and an Upload test it shows the Download meter ticking up and the Upload meter always stays close to zero.

Obviously not an emergency issue as QOS still seems to work and I have enough bandwidth that I can live without QOS if needed (235 Down/25 Up) but I have enough usage in the house I prefer to use it and I just like to track overall usage.

Thank you,
Rokair

Last edited:
AC56U upgraded smoothly from 380.60_alpha2 to .61_beta1. Thanks again!

I, too, have upgraded from .61 Alpha 2 to .61 Beta 1 on both my N66R and my AC68U. The upgrade on the N66R was uneventful, but the flash of the AC68U initially failed, leaving the router unable to boot. I am not sure what caused the glitch as I have flashed the router countless times with the RMerlin builds, including alpha, beta, and release versions. I attempted to unsuccessfully to use the Firmware Restoration utility, but I was able to push the .60 Beta 1 firmware to the device using tftp from my terminal session on my MacBook Pro following the steps outlined at https://chrishardie.com/2013/02/asus-router-firmware-windows-mac-linux/:

$ cd firmware_image_directory
$ tftp router_IP
tftp> binary
tftp> put firmware_image.trx
Sent __________ bytes in __._ seconds
tftp> quit
Once the transfer completed the router rebooted, and all settings were retained -- the router has been up and running ever since.

Thanks again for providing such outstanding support to the community.

Last edited:
Short Story:
380.58 = Rock solid for 3 months before 380.59
380.59 = Clients list not always^populated and querying switch problem intermitant
380.60 beta= Wan Disconnect or Cable unplugged message
380.61 Alpha 1-2 = No issues , rock solid 9 days
380.61 Beta = The return of the infamous" Querying Switch" and the client list empty

Nothing have changed in my devices names since 1 year and there is no QUOTES in the names. o_O

Rick-Laptop
Rick-PC
WDTVLive
Rt-n66U
where are the Quotes in this?

Last edited:
I ask this question before, but have another question about it, so will post again.

About every 5 seconds my router (ASUS RT-AC87U) seems to "ping" my desktop computer (Win10 Pro). Looking at task manager it shows on the Receive when monitoring the Ethernet card (Intel i217-V). It seems to be the Media Server broadcasting that it's there and looking for clients, as if I turn off the Media Server or unplug the USB 3.0 drive (plugged into the USB 3.0 port) it stops. My concern was that that it cause a lag when being on Internet or network, even though it doesn't seem to.

I do not have this problem with Firmware 380.59, it only "ping" the computer every once in awhile when Media Server is on. Only started pinging every 5 seconds with 380.60 Betas, 380.61 alpha and beta. Maybe ASUS made a change in the firmware to make the Media Server broadcast more often.

My question is, is there a way to adjust how often the Media Server broadcast?

I also notice that the TX Power adjustment for Wireless seems to be missing in the 380.61 version. Is this correct?

Thanks for any input and thanks to Merlin for the Firmware.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!