What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62 Beta is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok...lets say i kept the Entware version..... if i ssh into the router and type nano...which one would open?
Theres no conflict?

Depends on your search path. Run it, and see which version gets loaded. Mine is 2.7.0.

To specify which version to run, you'd have to provide the full path.

After updating to this firmware, can I still write custom script the same way I did? How many betas do you think there will be for 380.62? The reason I ask is that I want to know how stable it is now as I'm not at home that often, and wonder if I should try beta 1 or wait for a while.

Edit: I would likely try if this might be the last beta version :)

After updating to this firmware, can I still write custom script the same way I did?

Hard to say since you don't say how you are writing your custom scripts, but I don't see any reason for that to change.

How many betas do you think there will be for 380.62?

That will depend on the feedback I get. That's the goal of the beta.

Hard to say since you don't say how you are writing your custom scripts, but I don't see any reason for that to change.
The only custom script I use is 'echo "all-servers" >> /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add', so I guess there shouldn't be a problem.

That will depend on the feedback I get. That's the goal of the beta.
Okay, I think I will have to wait for the stable one for 380.62, but I will try to help testing upcoming versions.

Edit: Nvm, I think 380.62 Beta 1 should be good enough, flashing it now

Last edited:
I'm not seeing a 380.62 for AC66U, which is unfortunate because 380.61 is not working very well for me :-(

I've now come home three times in the last week and found my router not allowing connections to the Internet. Logging into the router and rebooting it has fixed the problem each time. Never had this problem before upgrading from 380.59 to 380.61. The router already reboots automatically every day at 5am, so whatever the problem is, it is taking much less than a day for it to occur. I'm hoping the fixed memory leaks may help, but can't test it until there's a 380.62 for AC66U.

I'm not seeing a 380.62 for AC66U, which is unfortunate because 380.61 is not working very well for me :-(

I've now come home three times in the last week and found my router not allowing connections to the Internet. Logging into the router and rebooting it has fixed the problem each time. Never had this problem before upgrading from 380.59 to 380.61. The router already reboots automatically every day at 5am, so whatever the problem is, it is taking much less than a day for it to occur. I'm hoping the fixed memory leaks may help, but can't test it until there's a 380.62 for AC66U.

Uhm it's there. http://www.mediafire.com/download/o0uooc0uan9gbkh/RT-AC66U_380.62_beta1-g7d0d688.zip

There is a RT-AC66U folder here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/bkfq2a6aebq68/Asuswrt-Merlin#bkfq2a6aebq68

Ahhhh thanks! I did not see the BETA folder at the top. I had jumped down to the bottom expecting to see a 380.62BETA file. Going to flash it now.

Hope it helps. There is still plenty of free RAM when the connection to the Internet starts to fail, so who knows. Only one way to find out.

Scanning the whole network takes some time, this is normal.
Is it possible to make it scan whole network like once every 5 to 30 minutes so that devices that left the network for a while will not be show in view list? I don't think that will consume much resources, but will make it feel a lot more active, for me, as many devices leave and join my network in an hour. Normally, view list will show both active devices and inactive for a while, which sometimes is twice the amount of devices that are active.

.62 beta installed. All the devices on my network are suddenly asking me to log in with my network password. Nothing else has changed but installing the beta.

AC-87U - Adaptive QOS - Bandwidth monitor: Noticed that the Upload Bandwidth dial is ticking up when my devices are downloading data through the VPN client interface on the router. My devices that are downloading data through the WAN interface are showing correctly under Download bandwidth dial. The VPN client instance is 3 should it matter. App analysis is also ON.

Is it possible to make it scan whole network like once every 5 to 30 minutes so that devices that left the network for a while will not be show in view list? I don't think that will consume much resources, but will make it feel a lot more active, for me, as many devices leave and join my network in an hour. Normally, view list will show both active devices and inactive for a while, which sometimes is twice the amount of devices that are active.

Asus used to scan every hour, and people complained that it prevented their NAS from going to sleep. So, there's no more scheduled scan. The rescan happens when you access the networkmap.

Looks like my network device non-access issue might be related to last Windows update to Windows 10. Playing now.....

Microsoft is creating a lot of frigging problems with these stupid version updates. I had three customers requiring support over the past two weeks because the 1607 update REVERTED some existing settings!

1 customer could no longer open Autocad, as .NET 3.5 had been magically uninstalled by the 16.07 upgrade
1 customer could no longer access a shared printer and folder because 1607 reverted the sharing access configuration done on that PC (it's a very small LAN, so password protection was disabled since there's nothing that needs securing on that PC)
1 customer lost her Outlook, had to execute a Microsoft Office repair to reinstall Outlook

Add to that that my Windows 10 desktop recently decided to randomly reboot itself at 1 am to install updates while I was remotely doing development on my VM, because their inactivity mechanism is too stupid to realize that there might be user activity NOT AT THE KEYBOARD. Result: two hours of work lost as it corrupted my Git repo within my VM. Had to recover the disk image I had taken at supper time, and lose a lot of the work done during that night.

Microsoft's track record with Windows 10 so far is turning into a train wreck. Once again, clueless engineers making decisions without even spending 5 minutes to consider the IMPACT of their decisions upon regular users.

So my guess is that your problem is the same that this customer of mine suffered, if you had disabled password-based authentication on that computer.

(and sorry for the rant, but at this point, I'm getting seriously pissed off at Microsoft's lunacy, and the past week at work made it even worse. Microsoft has been out of touch with their customer base for years, and Windows 10 did little to fix that - the Feedback Hub is a lot of smoke.)

Yes I have it disabled. What was the fix?

I signed out and did sign in to local account. Now I can access all network resources. But this is just nonsense.....

It doesn't look like the master browser setting is working for me on the AC5300.

EDIT: My bad. I goofed up some vlan settings.

Last edited:
As long as I'm signed in via local account everything works on my networked resources. Do full sign in with email, etc., and I can't access various network resources.

That last digit should be 0, not 1 if defining the whole /24 BTW.

Hi Merlin,

Sorry, my mistake..it should have read '0'. It makes no difference though, data flow is correct with 're-direct all Internet traffic' and fails with policy routing enabled.

Any ideas?

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.62 Beta is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was on bug fixing and webui tweaks.

No factory default reset is required if coming from a recent release. There has been no change to the GPL, and no change to the wireless drivers either (before someone asks).

The highlight of what was changed since 380.61:

• Added the nano editor to the firmware. This is a more user-friendly text editor than vi, making it much easier for people to write custom config files and user scripts. Just type "nano file-to-edit" to edit a file. You can find the online manual at https://www.nano-editor.org/docs.php . ARM routers also have the built-in help included, which can be accessed by pressing Ctrl-G. Note that some features were disabled for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U, to reduce the amount of space used by it.
  • Updates to OpenVPN (2.3.12), nettle (3.2 - used for dnssec crypto) and minidlna (1.1.6).
  • Passwords are no longer shown by default on the PPTPD/OpenVPN server pages (there's a checkbox to reveal them). Also, the WPA key will be hidden on the Wireless configuration page, unless you click inside the WPA field to edit it.
  • The Wireless Log page was redesigned, allowing to fit the client's IPv6 address in there (if they have one), and displaying longer hostnames.
  • Numerous resource leaks were fixed in the networkmap service, as well as a few potential buffer overruns.
  • Fixed data corruption when configuring an OpenVPN/PPTPD user or password longer than 32 characters
  • Fixed broken IPv6 on MIPS routers if you enabled SSH's brute force protection. Also fixed IPv6 lease renewal with some ISPs with broken DHCP implementations.
  • You can tell the router not to issue a prefix RELEASE command at shutdown time for IPv6 (required by some ISPs to ensure you retain your delegated prefix after a reboot)
  • Fixed modifying Smart Connect configuration on dual band routers, such as the RT-AC88U.
  • Added support for providing a vendor class ID on the WAN DHCP configuration (required for some ISPs)
  • Many additional fixes - see the changelog for details
  • On the RT-AC88U/AC3100/AC5300, the IPTraffic database was using the wrong filename, using "000000000000" in place of the actual MAC address. You will need to either rename your tomato_cstats_000000000000.gz database to the correct name (replacing the 0's by the router's MAC address, in lowercase), or generate a new database under Tools -> Other Settings.

Things that need particular attention while testing:

• See if the numerous fixes to networkmap also resolved issues that a few users were experiencing where their client list came up empty.
  • Ensure there's no new issue with the Wireless Log page, especially for IPv6 users
  • See if there's any change in behaviour with minidlna

Please focus your posts on this specific release, and always specify what router model you are using. Off-topic posts will be either ignored, moved or deleted, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Thanks for the beta release, noticed that I am no longer able to see the client list IP addresses (IPv4) just their MAC address in the wireless log section. I have the AC68U and upgraded from a fresh install of your 380.61. I use it in AP mode and clients get the DHCP from my firewall. In 380.61 I was able to see the client's IP addresses w/MAC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!