What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to ask about it again @RMerlin: Do you think you can restrict the frequency of the dns.msftncsi.com probing?
Tests in the AB-Solution 3.1 beta team so far have shown no negative impact when setting nvram to dns_probe_content="".

But still, I feel not entirely comfortable setting this, as you noted the unknown behavior of Wanduck if this is set.
I'd rather not have to apply the hack to achieve what I consider normal network chat frequency.
Not Merlin, but so far I haven't found any reference [on the www] to issues that would occur when disabled. Haven't checked the code though, only walked through it.

But is this worth our effort? It fills the log and that is the only impact. Don't think even 10 calls a minute truly impacts performance...

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Not Merlin, but so far I haven't found any reference [on the www] to issues that would occur when disabled. Haven't checked the code though, only walked through it.

But is this worth our effort? It fills the log and that is the only impact. Don't think even 10 calls a minute truly impacts performance...

It impacts the stats function my ad-blocker provides, a lot. It skews the stats by a large margin. I am unwilling to filter out these requests, altough I do so for local clients if so desired in the upcoming update.
I have yet to find ,or seeing reported by others, a device that chatters so much as the 380.65 fw version on the Network. 380.64 does not do it that frequently.
AB-Solution can also log to file and it is VERY obvious, every 2-10 seconds. Who needs to know WAN is up so frequently?

It impacts the stats function my ad-blocker provides, a lot. It skews the stats by a large margin. I am unwilling to filter out these requests, altough I do so for local clients if so desired in the upcoming update.
I have yet to find ,or seeing reported by others, a device that chatters so much as the 380.65 fw version on the Network. 380.64 does not do it that frequently.
AB-Solution can also log to file and it is VERY obvious, every 2-10 seconds. Who needs to know WAN is up so frequently?
Not everyone uses your AB... ;-) . And it can be mitigated by filtering (make it optional?). Although I am not defending the high frequency of the polling, it might add to quick reconnection or reporting in case of loss of connectivity?

With Google Chrome update 56.0.2924.74 there are layout pages problems:
s.1485427090.jpg

s.1485427103.jpg

..etc.

Not everyone uses your AB... ;-) .
But for those that do, they see a large amount of that traffic. Hence my questions and plead.

Although I am not defending the high frequency of the polling, it might add to quick reconnection or reporting in case of loss of connectivity?
The fact we can all agree on is that Wanduck has become an extremely chatty Duck.

Whether that bothers you or not is another question.
I happen to be bothered by it a lot, for personal reasons and for the sake of my sanity as the AB coder. Questions will come up in my threads, no doubt about it.

The fact we can all agree on is that Wanduck has become an extremely chatty Duck.

Whether that bothers you or not is another question.
I happen to be bothered by it a lot, for personal reasons and for the sake of my sanity as the AB coder. Questions will come up in my threads, no doubt about it.
They'll do anything to tickle your creativity :cool:

You could ask Asus what the reason for the frequency increase is. There might be a good reason. Or not :)
I still believe this frequency is a typo. Instead of 2 or 10 it really should be 200 or 100. That would be sane.
@RMerlin, @john9527 and other fork maintainers are the source of all knowledge and the authority for me and others concerning Asuswrt.
So I ask here.

I still believe this frequency is a typo. Instead of 2 or 10 it really should be 200 or 100. That would be sane.
@RMerlin, @john9527 and other fork maintainers are the source of all knowledge and the authority for me and others concerning Asuswrt.
So I ask here.
You could also go into the Official Asus thread and catch one of the Asus guys directly (beta threads). Since both @john9527 and @RMerlin do not touch wanduck code ...

Can confirm this for the last 2 months (running beta 64-bit)
Is this the reason?
"...with update 56.0.2924.74, Google has completed the transition of its browser to the HTML5 standard, now enabled by default for all users"

You could also go into the Official Asus thread and catch one of the Asus guys directly (beta threads). Since both @john9527 and @RMerlin do not touch wanduck code ...
Never ventured there, do you have a link?
Can't find an obvious one with search.

The Load Balance issue that started in version 380.64 is still present and I think I finally tracked down the option that is triggering the issue.

Symptons:
No device connected to the router can reach Internet, even though the router itself still can.

Steps I'm doing to reproduce with the least steps:
1. Clear NVRAM
2. Set Dual WAN and Load Balance (I'm using LAN4 as WAN2)
3. Configure both PPPoE connections
4. Enable "Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN"
5. Restart

That's it. Whenever "Respond ICMP Echo (ping) Request from WAN" is enabled, no devices connected to the router can reach Internet. If I disabled it, things go back to normal.

Notice that this only happens when both WANs are actually connected. If for some reason one of them is disconnected, the problem does not trigger.

Probably unralated, but I also noticed that SSH in not accessible through WAN even when "Enable SSH" is set to "LAN + WAN".

Sure, but you mentioned a beta thread and was looking for an asus.com forum.
Doesn't exist publicly, to my knowledge. But if you look a bit closer in that forum you will find the right people that actually do the beta testing for all router firmwares (Asus Devs & expert users).

I noticed a lot of "chatter" on the LAN. My network is not very complex, so I disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol (under LAN --- Switch Control) without any adverse effects. This chilled out my network considerably. FYI

WBV

I noticed a lot of "chatter" on the LAN. My network is not very complex, so I disabled Spanning-Tree Protocol (under LAN --- Switch Control) without any adverse effects. This chilled out my network considerably. FYI

WBV
Wanduck is upstream traffic, router to WAN only AFAIK.
Spanning tree has not much to do with what I complain about.

Just go back to 380.64_2. It contains all the major security updates of 380.65.

Just out of curiousity, for those having the issue with scanners with the new firmware, how many of you have Trendnet active on the router? I have not tested this yet, but was wondering if it could be causing issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!