What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few options to try, no particular order and really to your discretion of what may make more sense.

1. Reset your device to factory default after upgrading to Beta to simply clear the NVRAM. While this should not be necessary, never hurts and can save hours of aggregation trying to resolve weird anomalies.

OR

2. Revert back to a stable release that worked for you prior to upgrading to the beta, reset to factory, start clean. If you run into the issue again while on a stable release, this can indicate a potential HW issue.

Note: as always, remember to disable the MU-MIMO, airtime fairness, beamforming etc. regardless if you are on stable or beta release fw.

thank you for your answer... before reconfiguring everyting, I will try to disable all those features first to see if it helps...

There is Aicloud problem. It worked until beta1.

@RT-AC1900P-9C48:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/lighttpd -f /tmp/lighttpd.conf -D

2017-07-13 05:32:54: (network.c.538) SSL: BIO_read_filename('/etc/server.pem') failed

I can't find server.pem although I turn on Aicloud feature.

Thanks, fixed.

Well Merlin brought it to my attention NAT Acceleration needing to be disabled, currently enabled on the router. Would be nice if Traffic Monitor/Analyzer were disabled by default, and have a button to turn them on, and when they are activated, NAT Acceleration gets disabled. I'm currently under the impression it doesn't do this... So I was over here scratching my head wondering what the hell.
Please do not.

For some reason for me if CTF and FA are NOT enabled Traffic Monitor DOES NOT log properly.

I have an intermittent problem with my RT-AC3100 router... wifi stops working after some time and the only way to fix this is to reboot the router.

When wifi stops working, wired is ok and remote access though OpenVPN is also ok.

Yesterday night I was at home when it happened... wifi network was visible but when trying to connect, it said that my password was incorrect. at that time, I did not changed anything... I just rebooted the router and it was fine after that.

I think this all started with one of the 380.67 beta because I never had this problem before.

Smartconnect is enabled on my router... but beside that, there's nothing fancy in my setup.

what could be the problem?

Don't use 20/40/80 Mhz or 80 Mhz channel width settings with 5 Ghz. Use only 40Mhz. There is an intermittent issue with this family of routers (88u, 3100, 5300) whereby the 5Ghz network intermittently drops connections and/or drops of completely even though the LED and router report it is still up. Outside of disabling Airtime Fairness and Smart Connect, neither disabling any of the other advanced features nor clearing NVRAM fix the issue. The only consistent way for stability is to set 5Ghz channel width to 40 Mhz.

Don't use 20/40/80 Mhz or 80 Mhz channel width settings with 5 Ghz. Use only 40Mhz. There is an intermittent issue with this family of routers (88u, 3100, 5300) whereby the 5Ghz network intermittently drops connections and/or drops of completely even though the LED and router report it is still up. Outside of disabling Airtime Fairness and Smart Connect, neither disabling any of the other advanced features nor clearing NVRAM fix the issue. The only consistent way for stability is to set 5Ghz channel width to 40 Mhz.

Ok thanks...
That’s sad to see that I won’t be able to use this smart connect feature... this is really something that I liked on this router...

can you use atm for cable(docsis)

It's not about whether you can use ATM, it's about whether your ISP does. DOCSIS isn't ATM-based, so that option shouldn't be enabled on cable.

Will asus fix it?

Will asus fix it?

Hard to say. All I know is Merlin has not experienced it with his AC88U and so far Asus is claiming there is no issue. I have researched this a lot and there are tons of complaints about the 5Ghz wifi dropping issue with these routers (88U, 5300, 3100) on Amazon, SNB, and Maylyn's blog to think Asus and/or Broadcom can't be aware. I also don't believe it is a hardware issue as many people on the boards have RMA'd their units (sometimes multiple times) and the problem persists.

The only Asus original firmware that does not have this issue is 3941 from October last year. All subsequent versions of firmware - both Merlin and Asus - exhibit this problem. This leads me to believe it is something in the firmware from Asus, Broadcom, or both that introduced this bug since the 3941 firmware. It could also be that the Asus and/or Broadcom firmware is very "sensitive" when it comes to 80 Mhz WiFi channel widths and ACI/CCI or slightly incompatible clients that introduce the slightest hiccup cause the Wifi to drop. 80Mhz wide channels are very susceptible to interference from adjacent 20 or 40Mhz channels as well as other WiFi networks. Also, not all clients support 802.11ac 80 Mhz widths very well. 20 and 40 Mhz wide channels have been around a lot longer with both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz Wifi standards (802.11a,b,g,n). Solid client support seems more ubiquitous with them. Frankly, 80Mhz and 160Mhz bandwidths in a home setting are overkill.

Last edited:
@RMerlin I have a question: Why is the option "block-outside-dns" not used in openvpn when I choose to tunnel all including dns (server mode)? On windows 10 I have DNS leaks and that could be fixed by that option :)

@RMerlin I have a question: Why is the option "block-outside-dns" not used in openvpn when I choose to tunnel all including dns (server mode)? On windows 10 I have DNS leaks and that could be fixed by that option :)

This is because of Windows 10 client. If your client is 2.4.x you should manually add the following line in the Windows 10 client config file:

block-outside-dns

For more info regarding this option please check the OpenVPN 2.4 manual.

More information about DNS leak in Windows 10 you may find here: https://www.bestvpn.com/privacy-news/warning-windows-10-vpn-users-big-risk-dns-leak/

Please note, that the fix explained in the above article is for OpenVPN 2.3.x clients only. For 2.4.x it is sufficient to add the line described above.

Hard to say. All I know is Merlin has not experienced it with his AC88U and so far Asus is claiming there is no issue. I have researched this a lot and there are tons of complaints about the 5Ghz wifi dropping issue with these routers (88U, 5300, 3100) on Amazon, SNB, and Maylyn's blog to think Asus and/or Broadcom can't be aware. I also don't believe it is a hardware issue as many people on the boards have RMA'd their units (sometimes multiple times) and the problem persists.

I have a bunch of Asus routers, two of them is 88U. One 88U bought from the US and one bought in Sweden (allowed WIFI channels differ) but no problem with 5Ghz. I have them set to 80Mhz width and the only thing I've changed is turning off AirTimeFairness. I have no drop-outs with any of them or the other Asus routers. 5Ghz is stable as a rock. I should mention that I run all of them as accesspoints if it matters on some way.

This is because of Windows 10 client. If your client is 2.4.x you should manually add the following line in the Windows 10 client config file:

block-outside-dns

For more info regarding this option please check the OpenVPN 2.4 manual.

More information about DNS leak in Windows 10 you may find here: https://www.bestvpn.com/privacy-news/warning-windows-10-vpn-users-big-risk-dns-leak/

Please note, that the fix explained in the above article is for OpenVPN 2.3.x clients only. For 2.4.x it is sufficient to add the line described above.

Thanks for your answer, but I already read about that! That's the reason why I am asking ;) I added 'push "block-outside-dns"' already in my server configuration and that works, but in my opinion this option should be included by default in the configuration when I am using "Advertise DNS to client" or/and "responde to dns" or/and "direct clients to redirect internet traffic" :)

Last edited:
there are tons of complaints about the 5Ghz wifi dropping issue with these routers
Could it be the same with 68U?
For some reason it drops Wifi speed to ~1Mbit and only way to get it back is to disconnect device from WiFi and connect back. Easiest to do via disabling Wifi on device and re-enabling it back. I also have 5GHz set in 20/40/80 mode. When i had N66U, it was set on 40MHz-only mode.
I should add that location is a house (quite radio-transparent) and there are no other 5GHz networks in vicinity i can detect, only detected some weak 2.4GHz (below -80dBm) networks from neighbouring houses.

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer, but I already read about that! That's the reason why I am asking ;) I added 'push "block-outside-dns"' already in my server configuration and that works, but in my opinion this option should be included by default in the configuration when I am using "Advertise DNS to client" or/and "responde to dns" or/and "direct clients to redirect internet traffic" :)

Now I understood :) Yes, it make sense to do push "block-outside-dns" automatically if the options "Advertise DNS to client", "respond to dns" and "direct clients to redirect internet traffic" are set on. Or maybe add an additional drop-down menu or Yes/No radio button to choose this manually in the router's Web GUI.

Because that parameter doesn't do anything under Linux (which is what your router is based on). It's a hack that only works when the OpenVPN client is running on Windows.

Using Exclusive OpenVPN mode will do just the same thing - all port 53 connections will be redirected to the DNS server specified by your tunnel provider, so long you don't have exclusion rules preventing this from happening, and so long your client does not have IPv6 enabled (which would bypass the VPN altogether for any IPv6 traffic).

Anyone has dual wan working on this beta in failover mode?
Mine is not working at all. Router doesn't see that primary wan is down..

@RMerlin is it possible to backup just ip adresses and names manually assigned to my network clients? May be factory restore will help to fix dual wan but i have more then 40 clients with ip's fixed on router's side.

Anyone has dual wan working on this beta in failover mode?
Mine is not working at all. Router doesn't see that primary wan is down..

@RMerlin is it possible to backup just ip adresses and names manually assigned to my network clients? May be factory restore will help to fix dual wan but i have more then 40 clients with ip's fixed on router's side.

Code:
nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Code:
nvram set dhcp_staticlist="what you saved from the previous command"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!