What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of log entries saying something is happening, but honestly you wouldn't know anything was up if you didn't look at the log file. I didn't see anything like this under 13_1

This is the roaming assistant crashing. It's mostly used for moving clients between AiMesh nodes. Closed source code, so no way for me to figure out what is happening - however it's the first time I hear about the roaming assistant crashing.

Feedback for 384.14 Beta: Unstable internet connectivity would drop randomly and sometimes would have to restart modem and router for it to come back. Downgraded back to 384.13.
Hi.

I have issues with that beta too.

Ac 66u B1

When upgraded i noticed that it was no internet connectivity.
In the Gui it was a cross in betwean internet and router.

The Wan LED flickerd betwean red and blue, so it looked allmost purple.

Whent back to stable version ....13 again and it works again.

Im not a router pro but I have not set up any special settings on the isp side.

Regards
Jonas

Update: I have now installed beta 14 again and reboted and did factory reset but with the same result.

I will try to post the syslog from after first boot on ...14 beta 1.
I cant seem to upload anything here. Only errors of restriction.
I would be very happy if some one could guide me in the right direction regarding posting my log.

Regards
Jonas

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

Last edited:
Running beta on AC88U and AC86U without any problems (except known Let's Encrypt bug). First time Merlin user (although Asus routers user for 10+ years), and love it, especially new Wireless Log screen and possibility to use two OpenVPN server configurations.

RAM consumed on AC86U is around 74% though, is this ok?

Last edited:
Hi.

I have issues with that beta too.

Ac 66u B1

When upgraded i noticed that it was no internet connectivity.
In the Gui it was a cross in betwean internet and router.

The Wan LED flickerd betwean red and blue, so it looked allmost purple.

Whent back to stable version ....13 again and it works again.

Im not a router pro but I have not set up any special settings on the isp side.

Regards
Jonas

Update: I have now installed beta 14 again and reboted and did factory reset but with the same result.

I will try to post the syslog from after first boot on ...14 beta 1.
I cant seem to upload anything here. Only errors of restriction. Help plz!

My RT-AC66U_B1 has been very stable on 384.14 beta1. Have even moved from 15 MB DSL to 100 MB fiber with no issues. Running VPN server, AIPROTECTION, QOS and DoT to Quad9. Do not run IPV6. Ram usage stays between 50 to 53 percent.

Hello all - upgraded from 13_1 on an AC86U as primary node and an AC88U as the mesh node.

Lots of log entries saying something is happening, but honestly you wouldn't know anything was up if you didn't look at the log file. I didn't see anything like this under 13_1

There is no release version 13_1 for the RT-AC86U or the RT-AC88U. Did you upgrade from the beta?

@RMerlin

AC86U device - FW 384.14 (beta1) - 10 days of upgrade

Procedure:
- Firefox with cache cleared
- backup current configuration;
- backup JFFS;
- reset to previous FW 384.13;
- Firefox with cache cleared;
- upgrade new FW beta;
- reset FW beta installed;
- Firefox with cache cleared;
- restore previous FW and JFFS configuration recovery.

Features enabled and fully functional: AiProtection, Unbound+Stubby (from Entware repo) and Skynet.

FW beta fully functional. Better than the FW 384.13

Otherwise, these were the only records I found. If it is functional, ignore it.
Code:
Nov 20 07:00:49 wsdd2[2780]: error: wsdd-mcast-v6: wsd_send_soap_msg: send
Nov 20 07:00:49 wsdd2[2780]: error: wsdd-mcast-v6: wsd_send_soap_msg: send

Old issue that has been there for a few months, and which vary between users. Make sure you disable both WAN monitoring options on the Settings (DNS and Ping). This can also happen when interfering with DNS queries used to monitor the WAN connection.
I never experienced this until just a few days ago with my ~1 month old RT-AC86U. (Replaced my RT-AC68U) Uptime was in the ~17 days realm running 384.13. AI Mesh enabled. SmartConnect enabled (i know, but I have few neighbors and so far had good luck). I suspect it freaked out somewhere between day 15-17, which so happened to be when I made my last change. That change was:
Toggle the WAN DNS settings (use ISP or override) from override (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 to ISP then back to 1.1.1.1 an 1.0.0.1)
Toggle LAN DHCP settings to stop offering the route IP as the DNS entry for clients) and offer 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1. Then switch back
Enable DNS Rebind protection

This was to try to stop the massive spamming of the logs with "received packet on (br0, eth1, eth5 and eth6) with own address as source address" message (and the subsequent message indicating 2500+ +/- have been suppressed).

FWIW, it did stop that error. Not sure it had anything to do with WAN detection but these changes did cycle dnsmasq each time, perhaps a sequence or timing issue. In the end only a reboot fixed the false disconnected status.

Hi..

Wonderful that others with same hardware got to work. (RT AC66U B1)

As i said a few post prior to this, here is the syslog when running Merlin's 384.14 Beta 1 on my AC66U B1. It's directly after reboot of the router after i just updated the beta FW:

https://pastebin.com/b1nTAsEe

If any one would have the energy to look it through i would be very greatful. Perhaps there is my hardware, perhaps something else.

Regards
Jonas Gerdin

Running beta on AC88U and AC86U without any problems (except known Let's Encrypt bug). First time Merlin user (although Asus routers user for 10+ years), and love it, especially new Wireless Log screen and possibility to use two OpenVPN server configurations.

RAM consumed on AC86U is around 74% though, is this ok?

Please go and read this: https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Hi..

Wonderful that others with same hardware got to work. (RT AC66U B1)

As i said a few post prior to this, here is the syslog when running Merlin's 384.14 Beta 1 on my AC66U B1. It's directly after reboot of the router after i just updated the beta FW:

https://pastebin.com/b1nTAsEe

If any one would have the energy to look it through i would be very greatful. Perhaps there is my hardware, perhaps something else.

Regards
Jonas Gerdin

Your connection went up at 8:17 am, with a one hour lease from your ISP. At 8:19 am an event triggered through the web server caused numerous services to be restarted (clock went forward one hour, as if a daylight saving time change occurred then). Outside of that there is nothing in the log indicating connectivity issues.

Your connection went up at 8:17 am, with a one hour lease from your ISP. At 8:19 am an event triggered through the web server caused numerous services to be restarted (clock went forward one hour, as if a daylight saving time change occurred then). Outside of that there is nothing in the log indicating connectivity issues.
I don't know what I'm talking about but does the lease get skrewed if the time changes on the router?

Okey, so what to do? [emoji3526] What is this beta based on if I may?
I guess next stable release is based on asus up comming stable release?
With out knowing I should expect the stable Merlin ..14 to work for me. Thats what I'm squeezing my thumbs for any way.

Is there any deeper logs that I can provide for further investigation?

One more input:

I'm on a fiber line. Internet is comming out from a switch with 4 eth ports. I removed the ISP router and connected my ac66 a while ago.
According to the manual for the old router it's just to connect IPTV set box in any router port.
Looking at the manual for the earlier mentioned switch I should connect IPTV set box to eth port 2 and the router to eth port 1.
To day I connected my IPTV through the ac66 router instead cous of odd behaivour in tv picture.

Accidentaly I connected the wrong end of the IPTV eth cable to the ac66. The wan cable from the switch was connected with one of the ac66 outbound eth ports.
AND that miss coupling made the led flicker red and blue again.

Regards

Jonas

I don't know what I'm talking about but does the lease get skrewed if the time changes on the router?

It shouldn't, but I'm not 100% sure that all the involved code has been properly switched to use a monotonic clock (I know that older firmware code wasn't, so a lot of things went haywire when making radical clock changes). Worst case scenario would be the router asking for a lease renewal earlier than expected, which shouldn't cause any issue.

What is this beta based on if I may?

384_81116 for the base code. Proprietary/closed source components vary between models, they are based on whatever was the newest available a month ago.

guess next stable release is based on asus up comming stable release?

Don't know yet. Right now, I only have newer GPL for two models (AC68 and AC86), which means in the short term I would only be able to support two router models out of eight, so that's out of the question. The current goal is to have 384.14 released based on what is currently in there (81116). If it can't be gotten to work, then that would mean skipping 384.14, and waiting another 2-3 months before I have what's needed to go through a whole new alpha/beta/release cycle. Not something I'd like, I'm already getting tired of being asked by people if development has stopped only because they haven't seen a new final release since three months.

This is the roaming assistant crashing. It's mostly used for moving clients between AiMesh nodes. Closed source code, so no way for me to figure out what is happening - however it's the first time I hear about the roaming assistant crashing.
Thanks for the info, really appreciate all the work you do!

No I don't have Game Boost turned on. Error I think is starting is Nov 16 20:55:06 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

Then the router falls over.
I did reset the router and configure what I needed back in. However, this issue still occurred. Reflash to 13 and reapplied my save config prior to going to 14. Basically, breaking my environment to get internet access I still saw this issue. LAN > AC68 > DMZ (V-LAN'd SWITCH) > SERCUITY DEVICE> INTERNET. Note: configuration as work for years.

The error I keep getting is DHCP request from WAN port failing

I'm not sure if its the same issue, but my internet will drop without an error message, and rebooting will fix it.
This only happens when i have reboot scheduler and DOT is on.
I have since disabled the reboot scheduler and everything is working well.

The same issue has cropped up on my RT-AC86U under Beta1 with Aimesh node RT-AC5300.
Have turned Roaming Assist off on both 2.4 and 5 channels and will watch logs intermittently to see if those errors go away and figure out whether "Disabled" causes any roaming connection issues on the client devices.

EDIT: I know this is an Asus closed source issue - however, I have gone back on my old logs and confirm the problem has never shown up before - so the bug must be introduced in the latest Asus firmware releases - for both AC86U and AC5300 ... which claim improvements to Aimesh stability :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The same issue has cropped up on my RT-AC86U under Beta1 with Aimesh node RT-AC5300.
Have turned Roaming Assist off on both 2.4 and 5 channels and will watch logs intermittently to see if those errors go away and figure out whether "Disabled" causes any roaming connection issues on the client devices.

EDIT: I know this is an Asus closed source issue - however, I have gone back on my old logs and confirm the problem has never shown up before - so the bug must be introduced in the latest Asus firmware releases - for both AC86U and AC5300 ... which claim improvements to Aimesh stability :rolleyes:

OK - so having done a walk-about with various WiFi client devices, I can confirm that Roaming Assist is broken at least on my AC86U / AC5300 Aimesh combo
If "Enabled" it crashes and fails to switch the device from Main Router to Node - and vice versa;
If "Disabled" roaming simply does not function well at all ... and signal from one router has to drop completely before the device connects to much stronger signal from other router.

Definitely not encountered this prior to Asus latest releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!