What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been on the Beta for more than a week and so far encountered no issues (still having AX, 160Mhz and DFS disabled).

Can I ask if the Wireless Site Survey section is working well for everyone? It is showing no measurements at all in my case.
It works fine on RTAX88U, you need to enable data collection first.

384.14 Beta 2 is now available for the same models as beta 1. This new build has a newer GPL merged for non-AX models (384_81351). Let's Encrypt issues have also been resolved (including porting these fixes to the RT-AX88U), and the recent dnsmasq changes have been reverted as random stability issues seemed to be caused by the last changes.

Note: you might need to re-enter your router hostname on the LAN page, due to changes made by Asus in 81351 (and I can't easily automate the migration of that parameter).

Changes since beta 1:

RT-AX88U:
Code:
31efcf7a90 Updated documentation
1589bacedf rc: fix _unlock_erase() return value to match with the rest of the code
5780fb5f8b socat: that is one fat cat, put him on a diet by removing unused features
461cbf34a7 rc: ipv6 ns drop checking wrong nvram for dualwan/multiiptv builds
4b799f4217 rc: silence a few modprobe failures (these either do not exist or are built-in)
94c1890814 Bumped revision to beta 2
35c3d046f7 Updated documentation
ed5fe541ee rc: inadyn: always force AsusDDNS updates on LE-enabled build
fcf39c96c3 inadyn: minor logging changes to Asus DDNS pplugin
1d7eee1063 rc: tell inadyn to accept any SSL cert when using Asus DDNS
a73a8eaed0 letsencrypt: backport new LE support from 384_81351 for AX branch
197ea60300 Revert "dnsmasq: update to 2.80-93-g6ebdc95"

Others:
Code:
31efcf7a90 Updated documentation
41f01b9346 socat: that is one fat cat, put him on a diet by removing unused features
461cbf34a7 rc: ipv6 ns drop checking wrong nvram for dualwan/multiiptv builds
3c81fa4543 rc: silence a few modprobe failures (these either do not exist or are built-in)
94c1890814 Bumped revision to beta 2
35c3d046f7 Updated documentation
1795fcf34b rc: migrate AP hostname from computer_name to lan_hostname
6c41f71cd2 rc: remove obsolete conn_diag.o blob
fbbc20f31f Merged RT-AC68U binary blobs + SDK from 384_81351
bd000fe9b7 Merge with GPL 384_81351 + binary blobs (RT-AC86U)
ed5fe541ee rc: inadyn: always force AsusDDNS updates on LE-enabled build
fcf39c96c3 inadyn: minor logging changes to Asus DDNS pplugin
1d7eee1063 rc: tell inadyn to accept any SSL cert when using Asus DDNS
197ea60300 Revert "dnsmasq: update to 2.80-93-g6ebdc95"

Things in need of testing:

• Beta 2 Let's Encrypt support (both with Asus DDNS, and other DDNS providers, which use a different validation method)
  • Beta 2 DNS/DHCP stability on RT-AX88U - does dnsmasq still randomly stops answering queries?
  • Beta 2JFFS mounting at boot time for RT-AX88U - does it still fail for those it used to?
  • Beta 2: Look for any new issues following the merge of newer GPL code on AC68U/AC88U/AC3100/AC86U

Last edited:
Thank you. Looks like Asus broke things with 384_6436. If the router is set to erase the JFFS content, it will unlock the JFS partition for writing, however it now incorrectly checks whether this was successful or not. I'll fix it, please give it another try once beta 2 is released.
RMerlin,

EDIT: Glad to report that JFFS is working normally now with beta 2 with factory reset, thank you:)

Last edited:
Where is this new GPL code (384_81351) coming from for the AC88U? I don't see it on Asus's updates page.

RT-AX88U:
Code:
5780fb5f8b socat: that is one fat cat, put him on a diet by removing unused features
Which diet you recommend for this socat? :D

AC86U 384.14 beta 2

Is the "Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com" an issue?

NOTE - myrouter.asuscomm.com is not the real DDNS name I use.
Code:
Nov 24 19:38:33 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Update forced for alias myrouter.asuscomm.com, new IP# xx.xx.xx.xx
Nov 24 19:38:34 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
Nov 24 19:38:34 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Updating cache for myrouter.asuscomm.com

Completed a dirty upgrade over B1 to B2 (Main only), and glad to report I haven't noticed a single issue yet (27 clients connected). My current setup (AiMesh), is in my signature. I have also tried multiple reboots via the GUI and completed some test schedule reboots, and at least so far, my 86U Main, has rebooted every time, would seem the reboot/schedule reboot issue (hang), may also be fixed with the 86U.

For AiMesh, I am only using the roaming assistant and not smart connect. A quick test of the roaming for me, also is working, with walking between my nodes, switching between the nodes is occurring without any issue, for both Android and Apple mobile devices, same SID for both bands.

Had a play with WI-FI radar also, has no issues, client list also stable.

My general log is also quiet with the settings level of "notice" for both log entry types. I use no scripting and or VPN. My setup is pretty basic, no AiProtection and no Adaptive QoS also. Chanel's are fixed and using a set bandwidth.

Thanks Merlin.....without your continued support, I for one, wouldn't be using ASUS without your dedication to your firmware support.

Will edit this post if I see anything over the next few days.

Last edited:
AC86U 384.14 beta 2

Is the "Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com" an issue?

NOTE - myrouter.asuscomm.com is not the real DDNS name I use.
Code:
Nov 24 19:38:33 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Update forced for alias myrouter.asuscomm.com, new IP# xx.xx.xx.xx
Nov 24 19:38:34 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Certificate verification error:num=10:certificate has expired:depth=0:/CN=ns1.asuscomm.com
Nov 24 19:38:34 RT-AC86U-4608 inadyn[7016]: Updating cache for myrouter.asuscomm.com

The certificate on Asus's server is expired, and is also missing the ns1.asuscomm.com SAN. They are aware of the problem, in the meantime Beta 2 no longer verifies the validity of the certificate when using Asus DDNS, so it can still update your record.

RT-AX88U:
Code:
Which diet you recommend for this socat? :D

Fewer Kbles and bits :)

The SDK6/7 build of socat was taking close to 340 KB (220 KB for the HND version), It's down by about 60-80 KB with the removal of a few features that acme.sh didn't need.

• Beta 2 DNS/DHCP stability on RT-AX88U - does dnsmasq still randomly stops answering queries?

Just a little notice. I had these dnsmasq issues on a RT-AC86U.

Flashed RT-AC86U from 384.14_beta1 to beta2, factory reset etc

Let’s Encrypt for Asus DDNS and NO-IP DDNS are both now showing status OK

Thanks RMerlin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upgraded from 384.13 (final) to 384.14 Beta 2 and updated the router host name in the LAN page.

First issue I noticed: my Raspberry Pi Zero (connected to a smart energy meter) does no longer connect to the network (wirelessly).

Unfortunately I run this Pi headless and rebooting a few times did not help, so this is going to take some time to investigate/fix.

(I also use a Raspberry Pi 3, but that is connected via a cable and works fine).

Hi again

I have to do some more reporting on my issue with WAN-Led
Hi,

I like it you're right on it.

But what is happening if I do all this?

I love to test this procedure but to be all clear of what the problem is:

When running latest stable merlin all is ok.
When running ...14 beta 1 the problem occure with no wan connection and the Wan-Led flickering red and blue -》 allmoust in violet.

Rt ac66u B1

Did I miss some thing?

I'm not a tech-retard but I'm still in the beginning of the learning curve regarding merlin-lingo and so on. Just to explain in whitch level I am.

Regards
Jonas

Ps. Thanks for puting energy on this ds.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

I'm now trying Beta 2.
It seems that my WAN connection is working (Internet is working from all my units.), BUT in the asus gui it reports it as if WAN is down. When hovering with mouse pointer over the small icon upp to the right it says internet is connected but it is not lit green.
It's contradicting info reported.

AND still the WAN Led is flickering red and blue in a unnatural way. And I hope the flickering is nothing dangerous.

I have two links for 2 small videos showing what is happening.
The second video show when I'm klicking on Network Map. First 0,5 second it say connected but then it's not!?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K9FO_MM26H670mAfAFOJi2UVFUZshyzP/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K7momEM8NyvOXyrH70wZqcW9XuWz6qsw/view?usp=sharing

I don't get the problem.

Regards
Jonas Gerdin

Last edited:
Beta 2: Look for any new issues following the merge of newer GPL code on
No issues detected. 30% improvement on Wireless 2.4ghz. Running smooth.
Error found in the log's, but do not affect the operation.

Code:
Nov 25 06:53:52 start_ddns: update WWW.ASUS.COM update@asus.com, wan_unit 0
Nov 25 06:53:52 inadyn[1467]: In-a-dyn version 2.5 -- Dynamic DNS update client.
Nov 25 06:53:52 inadyn[1467]: /etc/inadyn.conf:4: unexpected token '='
Nov 25 06:53:52 inadyn[1467]: Parse error in /etc/inadyn.conf
Nov 25 06:53:52 inadyn[1467]: Error code 74: Missing .conf file

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!