What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On VPN (PPTP) the option for edit users and passwords don't work. The subform is changed with subform for IP and netmask.

That button is not intended for editing the username/password, it is intended for setting a static route for a given user. This is exactly how Asus implemented this.

An observation, & a question;

In Network Tools > Network Analysis, ‘IPv4’ will accept either a domain, or an IP address.
‘IPv6’ however, will accept only a domain, but when an IP address is entered, detects the colon(s) as “invalid”.

Is this intentional?

Last edited:
I can confirm the issue.
It's looks like something with dnsmasq. At least on my AX88U.
After short period of time the dnsmasq use the whole 1 core of the router, and going to be fully irresponsible ...
I reverted it back to the alpha2 - and everything is working as usual ...
View attachment 19862

And the dnsmasq is changed between alpha2 and beta 1
  • Updated components: dnsmasq 2.80-93-g6ebdc95,
Any comments on IT?
I can try to do more deep debugging, if you can explain, how I can do it ...

RT-AC87U & RT-AC3200 now at 51641. Inclusion in .14 or .15?

An observation, & a question;

In Network Tools > Network Analysis, ‘IPv4’ will accept either a domain, or an IP address.
‘IPv6’ however, will accept only a domain, but when an IP address is entered, detects the colon(s) as “invalid”.

Is this intentional?

Yes. Some of the network tools at the backend do not support IPv6 addresses.

Any comments on IT?
I can try to do more deep debugging, if you can explain, how I can do it ...

No other report so far. Do you use anything that customizes dnsmasq? Do you use IPv6?

RT-AC87U & RT-AC3200 now at 51641. Inclusion in .14 or .15?

:confused::mad:

What does the first line of the first post in this thread say?

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 beta is now available for select models (the RT-AC87U, RT-AC3200 and RT-AC5300 are not available for this release, due to lack of updated components from Asus)

I can't answer that until I have seen the GPL code. There's no guarantee that the 81219 components will be compatible with the 81116 code used by this release.
Awesome, I look forward to you getting a chance to take a crack at that GPL. I hope asus hasn't brought too much feng shui to the mix that this router would become unsupported, but you and I both understand murphy's law.

:confused::mad:

What does the first line of the first post in this thread say?
as mentioned the RT-AC5300 is now at 81219 as well, and a new firmware for the RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.384.81351 just creeped its way on to the scene as well... Alot is going on in that little ASUS world we have to wait and see if a GPL is released that is compatible with merlins code base..

Potentially significant news for Lets encrypt.
The RT-AC68 new release boast
Code:
Version 3.0.0.4.384.81351 2019/11/1340.28 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.81351
- Fixed a DDoS vulnerability.
- Fixed Let's Encrypt related bugs.
- Fixed folder creating bugs in Samba.
- Fixed dual wan failover bugs while the primary wan type is L2TP.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: d4b05802468b71f7510c3daeaa7fed4d

AX88 and AC88 both working fine regarding on/off leds and it's nice it stays off after a power outage.
YOU ROCK Merlin!
(I will not ask about any updates for AC87 haha---).

RT-AC86U w/amtm, diversion, skynet, x3mRouting manually configured for 384.13 and then upgraded to 384.14_beta1 (no alpha installs in-between.)
Works well with two observations:

1. While the PPTP VPN server still shows 'Running' the users are not there anymore after the upgrade (all of them were deleted in the process.)

2. The OpenVPN server shows 'Running' but it's stuck on "Initialinzing the settings of OpenVPN server now, please wait a few minutes to let the server to setup completed before VPN clients establish the connection."
The workaround for that warning was suggested by RMerlin in post #4 (last one) of the thread https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-ac86u-merlin-384-6-openvpn-server-initializing.47992/. However, the warning itself still requires a spell check and rephrasing since at least version 384.6 referenced in the above thread.

as mentioned the RT-AC5300 is now at 81219 as well, and a new firmware for the RT-AC68U 3.0.0.4.384.81351 just creeped its way on to the scene as well... Alot is going on in that little ASUS world we have to wait and see if a GPL is released that is compatible with merlins code base..

The AC 68U was not asked about,

The routers in question, if you took a look, received a bug fix for a DDOS vulnerability, nothing more.

Well, this is my report for this beta :

... 6 days for beta1 going on my rt-ax88 and all is fine.. I still can see some 'FPM Pool1 Invalid token xxx freed' messages in the log, but these are the same as in previous firmwares and already discussed in other posts. LED on/off functionality works fine, as well as VPN, samba access, minidlna, diversion, transmission, aiprotection, JFFS scripts functionality and so on. Web history seems like being broken (GUI page acts very strangely/slow), but saw this also in alphas.

And thanks again for a solid build to Merlin and all of the development & test team!

No other report so far. Do you use anything that customizes dnsmasq? Do you use IPv6?
You are not right
My report not a first, and not an alone:
  • Did a dirty flash over 384.13 yesterday evening CET. This morning the DHCP was not working, the router indicated internet was down and the CPU usage was constantly high. Did a reboot and everything was working again. Now it's evening again and had the same issue. Reverted back to 384.13. Log did not indicate crashes while there was a high CPU usage. Router model is RT-AC86U.
  • I had the same thing happen with my AX88u master with two AC88u mesh nodes on stock Asus. I did not have time to reset and reconfigure so, am back on .13 and all is well for now.
    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
  • Moreover:
    I now did a factory reset and manually configured everything again. After something like 8 hours I run into the same issue again as quoted above. Reverted back to 384.13 again.
About me - nothing special:
No IPV6, no DoT or DoH, only Diversion.

@PeterV, do things work with Diversion disabled (and after a reboot)?

You may also want to update to the latest 4.16 version too. ;)

@PeterV, do things work with Diversion disabled (and after a reboot)?

You may also want to update to the latest 4.16 version too. ;)
Already did. Tomorrow, if it will be free time, I will try to test 14beta1 with dnsmasq from 14alpha2.

About me - nothing special:
No IPV6, no DoT or DoH, only Diversion.

I only use functionality that is already present in the firmware, so no diversion here. But I do use dnssec, dot, static ip's in DHCP, openvpn with policy routing and Dns filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!