What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reverted to 384.13 release [reset / restore 384.13 settings / reboot etc] and I confirm that Roaming Assist working again - no crashes and no log entries to suggest a problem with it. Clients switch between from Routers as configured for minimum signal strength settings.

Latest Asus Stock code seems to be creating more bugs than they are fixing - confirmed by multiple .8??? releases being issued by them!
Too many in "closed source" section - so my sympathies to @RMerlin whose efforts to present improved firmware hampered by the closed stuff :rolleyes:.

Found this regarding the AC86U

upload_2019-11-21_9-9-28.png

Found this regarding the AC86U

Good to see that they claim to have fixed Let's Encrypt - but no sign of any fix for Roaming Assistant.
To my recollection this is the 3rd iteration of the 384.8??? Asus Stock firmware for the AC-RT86U - although the first of them no longer appears in their list after it seemed to have been withdrawn.

Thank's RMerlin for taking your time and writing a very explanatory answer.

What is your suggestion other than stick to latest stable release?

Is my issue to rare to make a more deep analysis of the matter?
I would gladly bring som more logs or anything that would help.

Maybe give you access to the router?
PM me if you like.

Regards
Jonas

Thank's RMerlin for taking your time and writing a very explanatory answer.

What is your suggestion other than stick to latest stable release?

Is my issue to rare to make a more deep analysis of the matter?
I would gladly bring som more logs or anything that would help.

Unfortunately, there isn't anything more I could do to dig more for this case (there is no additional log), and the code handling the state of the WAN connection is a complete mess which I have never been able to understand anything about, so it's Asus's unmodified code. I would check for the usual obvious suspects: cable between router and modem, reset modem, try a different cable between the router and the computer, etc...

RMerlin, does your latest beta 384.14_beta 1 include this 3.0.0.4.384_81351 changelog (AC86U) ?
Thank you.

RMerlin, does your latest beta 384.14_beta 1 include this 3.0.0.4.384_81351 changelog (AC86U) ?
Thank you.
Have you read first page?
GPL updates: 384_6436 (RT-AX88U), 384_81116 (other models, with 384_81049 binary blobs used the RT-AC86U)

Update: I have now installed beta 14 again and reboted and did factory reset but with the same result.

I will try to post the syslog from after first boot on ...14 beta 1.
I cant seem to upload anything here. Only errors of restriction.
I would be very happy if some one could guide me in the right direction regarding posting my log.
Let's go to the simulation:
Disable any JFFS
Hard reset:
Turn off the Router.

While holding down the WPS button, turn on the power, still holding the WPS button for about 8-10 seconds.

One of the lights will start trembling (I can't remember which) and then you can let the WPS button go.

Router access IP and username/password will be again at defaults.
Install Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS firmware to find out if your problem persists.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo&id=9332FC159A7E129!4125&cid=09332FC159A7E129

Disable any JFFS
Hard reset:
Turn off the Router.

While holding down the WPS button, turn on the power, still holding the WPS button for about 8-10 seconds.

One of the lights will start trembling (I can't remember which) and then you can let the WPS button go.

Router access IP and username/password will be again at defaults.
Install Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 stable:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/
Check and compare if problem persists

Last edited:
Let's go to the simulation:
Disable any JFFS
Hard reset:

Install Asuswrt-Merlin 374.43 LTS firmware to find out if your problem persists.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AAkJBWoo-OiyKJo&id=9332FC159A7E129!4125&cid=09332FC159A7E129

Disable any JFFS
Hard reset:

Install Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 stable:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/
Check and compare if problem persists
Hi,

I like it you're right on it.

But what is happening if I do all this?

I love to test this procedure but to be all clear of what the problem is:

When running latest stable merlin all is ok.
When running ...14 beta 1 the problem occure with no wan connection and the Wan-Led flickering red and blue -》 allmoust in violet.

Rt ac66u B1

Did I miss some thing?

I'm not a tech-retard but I'm still in the beginning of the learning curve regarding merlin-lingo and so on. Just to explain in whitch level I am.

Regards
Jonas

Ps. Thanks for puting energy on this ds.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk

@PeterV don't you also have the same entry?

I don't have Plex, but that might be a common element between you two.

Could either of you test with either Plex not running, or the rebind entry removed from dnsmasq?
Hi Merlin,

I did the following:
Deleted dnsmasq.conf.add
Changed "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" to No
Changed "Enable DNS Rebind protection" to No

Now waiting to see how this goes.

Last edited:
This time the issue occured within the hour. Dnsmasq was the process taking up 50% of cpu all the time. No internet anymore while this was going on.

Last edited:
Running that same dnsmasq version for over a week with still no problem at all so far. I tried pretty much everything to even reproduce your setups.

I give up. I hear that the Tomato devs have a similar problem with that dnsmasq version (except in their case CPU usage remains normal, however dnsmasq stops answering queries). I'll let the dnsmasq devs figure it out.

Thanks for trying anyway. For now .13 runs stable. I will stick to that version and hopefully the next version of dnsmasq will fix it.

Last edited:
Ax88u 384.14_Beta 1 bugs :

1.My traffic analyzer doesn’t show any traffic
2.Signature shows it’s updating-update completely but doesn’t actually do anything
3.VPN certificate of authority doesn’t save so I can’t setup a VPN
4. When I change a device name it reverts back to the old name when I restart
5.When I change bandwidth priorities it reverts when I restart

Ax88u 384.14_Beta 1 bugs :

1.My traffic analyzer doesn’t show any traffic
2.Signature shows it’s updating-update completely but doesn’t actually do anything
3.VPN certificate of authority doesn’t save so I can’t setup a VPN
4. When I change a device name it reverts back to the old name when I restart
5.When I change bandwidth priorities it reverts when I restart

I had similar problems with it when I did a factory reset, to fix it I had to downgrade to .13 and upgrade to .14 for everything to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!