What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirty flash over beta 1 on an 86U.
All is well on my end. Static DHCP, port forwards (IPv4 and 6), IPv6.
Nothing else in use here.

FreshJR adaptive QOS working perfectly on my RT--AC86U with 384.14_beta2

I'm referring to the new SDK used by the RT-AX88U, which is also only available in the special beta2-new test build that's present on Onedrive. The RT-AC86U SDK hasn't changed.

I had mine set to
tls_min_version: GETDNS_TLS1_3

Don't do that, there is zero reason for it, you will only block yourself from connecting to any server that does not support TLS 1.3.

Hello!
Updated its AC86U to 384_14_ beta2, a floating problem appeared. From time to time Wi-fi began to disappear. Reboot through the button helps.
Rolled back to _beta1

My personal devices (smartphones, tablets, and TVs) work on a 5 GHz network, but I have smart home devices (220v sockets, sensors, light switches) that work at 2.4 GHz. And So I noticed that very often these devices were not available. At the same time, in the settings of WiFi 2.4, I do not change anything. So I noticed.

I went back to the previous stable version 384.13 for my RT-AC86U. After messing around with QOS and multiple reboots under the beta2, the wifi signal never came back. Once I installed the stable version the signal is working flawlessly. I'm not sure if it's something on my end that my 2.4ghz signal doesn't work after multiple reboots or if it's something with the beta. It's probably something on my end, but I'll wait until fw is out of beta.

Finally, is it possible to disabled HW acceleration manually in the beta 2 if I'm using Adaptive QOS? It seems with the beta2 and Adaptive OOS enabled, the beta automatically enables HW acceleration which seems I'm lagging more than usual when gaming rather than when I'm on 384.13 stable fw. We'll continue to monitor if this is the case.
And I do not use QOS

And add

When activating the guest network number 2 (the middle button for 2.4 or 5) in the network name I see Asus_AC68U_Guest2.
Those. the network name includes another router, and I have 86U

Attachments

• upload_2019-12-1_10-7-48.png
    upload_2019-12-1_10-7-48.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 346
Last edited:
Quick question: combined WPA2/WPA3 mode is it more secure than WPA2?

Under AI protect I get weak WiFi Password and Cryptation message. My password is far from weak...

Last edited:
Quick question: combined WPA2/WPA3 mode is it more secure than WPA2?

Under AI protect I get weak WiFi Password and Cryptation message. My password is far from weak...

Wpa2/3 mode allows clients of either persuasion to happily connect to your network.
Wpa3 is the new, more secure mode, but at this early stage, you, we, may still have Wpa2 devices that need to connect. Hence the old/new mode.

Ai protect complaining is a known firmware bug, will hopefully be fixed in future releases.

Wpa2/3 mode allows clients of either persuasion to happily connect to your network.
Wpa3 is the new, more secure mode, but at this early stage, you, we, may still have Wpa2 devices that need to connect. Hence the old/new mode.

Ai protect complaining is a known firmware bug, will hopefully be fixed in future releases.

Thanks for your answer. The question is about wpa2/3 combined. It makes little sense to have them combined. What is the benefit when WPA2 is still weaker?

Thanks for your answer. The question is about wpa2/3 combined. It makes little sense to have them combined. What is the benefit when WPA2 is still weaker?

The ‘combined’ mode enables both wpa2, & wpa3 clients to connect, according to their ability. Wpa3 clients will connect via wpa3, & wpa2 clients with wpa2.

If you have only wpa3 clients you need to connect to your network, by all means select wpa3 only mode.

Eventually we will all have wpa3 clients, & wpa2 compatibility will be be redundant. Perhaps not yet though (at least on my network). ;-)

I'm referring to the new SDK used by the RT-AX88U, which is also only available in the special beta2-new test build that's present on Onedrive. The RT-AC86U SDK hasn't changed.

Finally WPA3 :) Sadly only available on the phones we use.

I made my main network only WPA3 and solved it by a more restricted wpa2/3 guest network for non WPA3 supported devices and guests

Tryinig out AI Mesh with this FW, 384.14_beta2 on a new AC-86U. So far, I like!

Is there a way to remotely disable the LEDs on the Mesh node? I'm sure I could press the LED button on the AP.

NVM, figured it out...

Last edited:
Have beta2 (24Nov'19 ) installed on my RT-AX88U with 2x RT-AC86U's in AiMesh. All working great, except one function "Network Map". When click on the button, screen blinks, but nothing happens. Was working without issue in Beta1.

Have beta2 (24Nov'19 ) installed on my RT-AX88U with 2x RT-AC86U's in AiMesh. All working great, except one function "Network Map". When click on the button, screen blinks, but nothing happens. Was working without issue in Beta1.
nzwayne,
I have similar AiMesh Configuration as you. Sorry "Network Map" screen is normal for my case. I am on MacBookPro, macOS Catalina using Safari.

upload_2019-12-1_23-10-54.png

graphical error on DDNS page for RT-AC5300, haven't had a chance to confirm on other models yet..

Finally WPA3 :) Sadly only available on the phones we use.

I made my main network only WPA3 and solved it by a more restricted wpa2/3 guest network for non WPA3 supported devices and guests
swejuggalo,
Thanks for the idea to use guests WiFi settings :) to find answer to my WPA3 questions (how do I know my device is using WPA3)
  • iPhones with iOS 13: Apple had removed the ability for us to figure out what security type (WPA3, WPA2, etc) we are using for iOS. Using your idea, I set up Guest WiFi with WPA3 ... and found that iPhone 7, iPhone X, iPhone Xs and iPhone 11 with iOS 13 supports WPA3. Unfortunately my wife's iPadAir does not support WPA3.
  • MacBookPro (2014) with macOS Catalina supports WPA3. Hold down the Option key and click on the Wi-Fi icon in the Menubar to see security type.
For now I have to live with WPA2/WPA3

Edit: included iPhone 7

Last edited:
Beta2, AC86U + QoS + AiProtection => experienced a restart.
Beta1 was stable in this regard.
5 days after disabling both QoS and AiProtection router seems stable so far.

So, when unzipping RT-AC5300_384.14_beta2-g19f7309202, 13 files have to be overwritten by 7Zip to complete the job. Never saw this, and I'm waiting for feedback before giving the beta a spin...

Last edited:
So, when unzipping RT-AC5300_384.14_beta2-g19f7309202, 13 files have to be overwritten by 7Zip to complete the job. Never saw this, and I'm waiting for feedback before giving the beta a spin...

What?? The file unzips without issue. Why 7 ZIP ? Windows Explorer unpacks ASUS firmware without any problem.

Se the extension RT-AC5300_384.14_beta2-g19f7309202.trx so there is nothing to unzip! This is the FW file to flash.
Sure I also use 7z and it can open the FW, but there is no point in that.

Running beta2 for a week now. No dnsmasq issues. It runs pretty stable for my setup. (RT-AC86U)

Total stability, quiet system log. Perfect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!