What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you do to make sure you aren't stuck by the bottleneck of using the asuscomm.com domain?

Use your own domain, and don't rely on the router's firmware to handle your certificate renewal.

There's no magic solution here, if you use a public DDNS domain, you will have to deal with request throttling for that domain.

Apologize if this is a stupid question, but I'm not fully versed in the difference between the main ASUS firmware version and the GPL release stuff - but is the latest merlin beta including all the firmware features of the latest version released by ASUS, with iPhone 11 improvements and WPA3, or is that for a future release?

384_7756 is too buggy to be usable. Will have to skip it and wait for Asus to release a more stable version.

rt-ac5300
Code:
15:56:51 kernel: /usr/sbin/acme-client: No such file or directory

The RT-AC5300 build wasn't fully merged with the newer code yet.

So why is it that we need to have an SSL Cert like Let’s Encrypt?

You don't "need" one. The only thing it does is remove the security alert from your browser. A self-signed certificate will be just as secure with your router.

L2TP: confirmed to be broken in Asus's 384_81351 code (which was merged in 384.14).

Regarding Let's Encrypt:

Dirty upgrade to 384.14 Beta 2 for AX88U to test if LE cert renewal would work. So far it doesn't. (I did not do a complete wipe yet, so this does not deserve Eric's attention.)

After update, moved current LE domain directory "/jffs/.le/my.domain" to backup at "/jffs/.le/my.domain.old." Rebooted.

"/jffs/.le/my.domain.old" directory was deleted on reboot, and "/jffs/.le/my.domain" was recreated.

However, the new "/jffs/.le/my.domain" directory does not include a "chain.pem" or a "cert.pem."

In web GUI, certificate status is "Authorizing," and SAN is "undefined."

I'm also getting errors in the system log, after "Cert success":

Dec 4 09:11:06 kernel: Cert success.
Dec 4 09:11:06 kernel: cat: write error: Invalid argument

Can anyone else confirm the beta resolves the issue before I go with a complete wipe and reconfigure?

Last edited:
L2TP: confirmed to be broken in Asus's 384_81351 code (which was merged in 384.14).
Thank you for the information. Is this something you can solve or does it require waiting until Asus gives this attention?

I read that there is a solution to use OPENVPN with PIA
I will go deeper into the alternative.
Would be nice to get this solved from ASUS

Thank you for the information. Is this something you can solve or does it require waiting until Asus gives this attention?

Fortunately, @themiron is very familiar with L2TP code (I believe he worked on that code in wl500g as well as Tomato). He's currently taking a look at it.

EDIT: we just tested a fix together, working properly for us now.

I read that there is a solution to use OPENVPN with PIA
I will go deeper into the alternative.
Would be nice to get this solved from ASUS

Just be patient. This is a beta release, so things are never guaranteed to be 100%.

Last edited:
Regarding Let's Encrypt:

Dirty upgrade to 384.14 Beta 2 for AX88U to test if LE cert renewal would work. So far it doesn't. (I did not do a complete wipe yet, so this does not deserve Eric's attention.)

After update, moved current LE domain directory "/jffs/.le/my.domain" to backup at "/jffs/.le/my.domain.old." Rebooted.

"/jffs/.le/my.domain.old" directory was deleted on reboot, and "/jffs/.le/my.domain" was recreated.

However, the new "/jffs/.le/my.domain" directory does not include a "chain.pem" or a "cert.pem."

In web GUI, certificate status is "Authorizing," and SAN is "undefined."

I'm also getting errors in the system log, after "Cert success":

Dec 4 09:11:06 kernel: Cert success.
Dec 4 09:11:06 kernel: cat: write error: Invalid argument

Can anyone else confirm the beta resolves the issue before I go with a complete wipe and reconfigure?

I want to log my temporary solution for Let's Encrypt in my case. It could also be from my own ignorance. Maybe ACMEv2 operates differently?

After deleting my domain sub directory in /jffs/.le, and rebooting, Let's Encrypt was creating a new domain directory which contained a fullchain.pem, but no cert.pem or chain.pem.

Since fullchain.pem is the concatenation of the cert.pem + chain.pem, I simply took the new fullchain.pem contents, and created a new file for each the cert.pem and the chain.pem, respectively. The web GUI immediately set status to "OK."

I am completely ignorant, but I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
RT-AC86U with 384.14_b2 running strong 10 days without reboot. No issues to report in logs. For a self-compiled build, this is a good one.

Last edited:
Fortunately, @themiron is very familiar with L2TP code (I believe he worked on that code in wl500g as well as Tomato). He's currently taking a look at it.

Just be patient. This is a beta release, so things are never guaranteed to be 100%.
Great news!
thanks in advance Merlin!

Hi all,

My asus ac86u is currently on 384.13_0 I am trying to install the lasted beta version but it is failing, after uploading the file there is a message:
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Ax88
384.14 beta2-new-gfec6767101

Administration/System tab not responding when clicking "Apply"

Last edited:

Great to hear, I will give it a go on my routers with the next beta release!

Greetings,

Ax88
384.14 beta2-new-gfec6767101

Administration/System tab not responding when clicking "Apply"
thats a known issue merlin stated its doe do with changes made by asus on the new update.

This morning I woke up to no internet. The modem and internet service was fine. So I checked the router and the first thing I noticed was it showed only 32MB of free ram and no WAN connection. This was odd since I have beta2 now running for 10 days and the memory was stable at around 300MB free, last time I checked was yesterday evening when updating Skynet. The system log didn't show anything out of the ordinary. So I rebooted the router per UI and to my surprise the WAN connection didn't work. It only connected for a few seconds when I was checking some settings but dropped it again. Free memory was at around 500MB since it didn't load some of the scripts without an active connection. Another reboot through the UI showed the same issue so I turned the router off for a minute and now everything works again. I combed through the system log and found this in the log:
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: core [1] probe^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: found port [1] GEN2 Core Rev [3.04] with 1 Lanes^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: Core [1] setting resistor calibration value to 0xa
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: core [1] link is DOWN^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: core [1] powered down^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: core [0] probe^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: found port [2] GEN2 Core Rev [3.04] with 2 Lanes^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: Core [0] setting resistor calibration value to 0xa
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: core [0] Link UP - [2] lanes, [GEN2] speed^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie bcm963xx-pcie.2: PCI host bridge to bus 0001:00
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: pci_bus 0001:00: root bus resource [mem 0xc0000000-0xcfffffff]
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: pci_bus 0001:00: root bus resource [bus 00-ff]
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: Core [0] Enabled PCIE/UBUS Error Interrupts^M
May 5 01:05:06 kernel: bcm963xx-pcie: Core [0] UBUS Intr [UBUS_LINKUP]^M

Did anyone else have this happened before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!