What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.14 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated from b2 to b3 and 19 hours later no issues. Thanks, RMerlin.

I don't understand why you expect that to change, Adaptive QoS keeps hardware acceleration enabled. FreshJR just tweaks Adaptive QoS, it's not doing anything on it's own.

It does afaik, but in the past when you installed FreshJR the 'Runner' disabled while the other stayed enabled.

Found this in the middle of the creation of the /jffs/.le/(user name).asuscomm.com
Code:
Dec  7 13:11:32 kernel: Cert success.
Dec  7 13:11:32 kernel: cat: write error: Invalid argument
EDIT: Searched for the /jffs/.le/ directory and cannot locate it. AX88U
EDIT: Found the directory. Cleaned it out and reapplied settings. Same as above. Log says it's done then has a write error.
I can confirm I have the same lets encrypt error.

AC86U, dirty upgrade B2->B3 via remote OpenVPN session, everything seems to work so far :)

My runner is disabled by QoS.

I'm using Adaptive QOS as well and runner was enabled on all betas. It was disabled on stable FW 384.13.

Only error I see in the process is in system log:
Code:
Dec  7 17:05:40 kernel: cat: write error: Invalid argument
Nothing wrong with my jffs. It is so far from full.
Code:
4.34 / 63.00 MB
I left this over night and still the same in the morning. @RMerlin the throttling you speak of is not the issue as the log shows all the directories being created. Can I send you my logs in a private message please?

We have to split the fullchain.pem into cert.pem and chain.pem. See my post on pg. 27.

We have to split the fullchain.pem into cert.pem and chain.pem. See my post on pg. 27.
Interesting, it seems that those with the AX88U have this issue. I see no other reports with other models. When I first flashed beta 3 on my AC86U, My_Domain had the yellow exclamation, but an hour later updated. Now seeing your mention of splitting the fullchain.pem again, I looked at mine and it shows them being handled automatically here.

Note the .pem files are under the /jffs/.le/My_Domain directory
Code:
usr_name@RT-AC86U-4608:/tmp/home/root# ls -al /jffs/.le/My_Domain.asuscomm.com/
drw-------    2 usr_name root             0 Apr 29  2019 .
drw-------    3 usr_name root             0 Apr 29  2019 ..
-r--r--r--    1 usr_name root          1814 Mar  8  2018 cert.pem
-r--r--r--    1 usr_name root          1647 Mar  8  2018 chain.pem
-r--------    1 usr_name root          1704 Mar  8  2018 domain.key
-r--r--r--    1 usr_name root          3461 Mar  8  2018 fullchain.pem

Updated from Beta 2 to Beta 3 on both units....Have to agree with another comment.....things do seem snappier to me but it could have been side effect of rebooting router. Either way so far so good.

When I have a chance I will upgrade again and see if I can find the issue. I was surprised by the issue as I didn't see anything in the notes indicating changes is WiFi. In meantime B.1 works fine.

Just to provide some additional information. All the spots connect on a guest network. I did not check to see what the link speed was on the primary 5 Ghz network. Doesn't seem like it should make any difference but who knows.

You should probably do a clean install of b3 (factory reset/wipe) to ensure your issue is not caused by b3.

Upgraded to B3 on my 86U with no issues. Running for 15 minutes now with no issues. All 15 of my house's client devices (Android, iPhone, iPad, PC, Macbook, IoT, Chromecasts, Fire sticks, e-readers, etc.) are working fine.

A lot of changes for me. I now am testing an RT-AX88U v1.1 (China) for my home. On 384.14 Beta 3 for over 18 hours now with a full M&M Config (almost a 'Nuclear Reset') with no issues at all.

A couple of points vs. my previous RT-AC86U tested on 1Gbps up/down symmetrical Fibre connection:
  • Need to be patient for up to 5 minutes waiting for WiFi to reconnect/become available after changes are made (most likely because of DFS Channel availability).
  • The range is improved (my home is not a great test for range though), but throughput is highly improved.
  • On two different devices one with AX200 and other with AX201:
  • Before (RT-AC86U):
    Intel AX200 WiFi
    Indicated connection rate: 650Mbps
    Fast.com
    250Mbps down, 200Mbps u
    Latency, 2ms unloaded 35ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    2ms 208 down, 222 up
  • After (RT-AX88U AC Mode):
    Intel AX200 WiFi
    Indicated connection rate: 390Mbps
    Fast.com
    470Mbps down, 240Mbps u
    Latency, 2ms unloaded 12ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    2ms 553 down, 241 up
  • After (RT-AX88U AX Mode):
    Intel AX200 WiFi
    Indicated connection rate: 2,400Mbps
    Fast.com
    610Mbps down, 250Mbps u
    Latency, 2ms unloaded 11ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    1ms 620 down, 305 up

• Before (RT-AC86U):
    Intel AX201 WiFi
    Indicated connection rate: Mbps
    Fast.com
    460Mbps down, 340Mbps up
    Latency, 2ms unloaded, 16ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    2ms 481Mbps down, 294Mbps up
    dslreport.com:
    25ms latency, 298Mbps down, 335Mbps up
    Quality A, Bufferbloat F, Overall C
  • After (RT-AX88U AC Mode):
    Intel AX201 WiFi
    Indicated connection rate: 520Mbps
    Fast.com
    710Mbps down, 350Mbps up
    Latency, 2ms unloaded, 9ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    2ms 805Mbps down, 361Mbps up
    dslreport.com:
    25ms latency, 484Mbps down, 383Mbps up
    Quality A+, Bufferbloat D, Overall B
  • After (RT-AX88U AX Mode):
    Indicated connection rate: 2,400Mbps
    Fast.com
    810Mbps down, 420Mbps up
    Latency, 2ms unloaded, 6ms loaded
    speedtest.net
    2ms 843Mbps down, 543Mbps up
    dslreport.com:
    17ms latency, 629Mbps down, 410Mbps up
    Quality A, Bufferbloat D, Overall B
This is averaged testing at 3 locations from 35' to 45' from the router(s) and two or three walls between the router and the clients on two laptops in my actual usage tests. I also tested my AX capable phone, but I'm not interested in those numbers. :)

I also tested for the best control channel (48) and optimum channel width (20/40/80/160) by surfing the web and noting how responsive that was. Channel 48 with 20/40/80/160 Channel Width was easily the best in my environment and ISP.

While I recommend testing with a laptop being plugged in set to high-performance mode, this is a personal test to see what (if!) I could see any improvements from how I actually use my network. Therefore, I used the 'better battery' setting on both laptops and was surprised at the difference between them (one is two years old, one is brand new). I was also surprised by the 810Mbps download possible on 'better battery' too!

I also tested the WiFi with some older AC clients and there were improvements, but not to this degree as shown above. At least, not what the numbers show. They did improve in how responsive they were just like the AX clients show above.

I also tested the wired speeds on my desktop computer and I could easily hit 1Gbps up/down on the LAN. :)

The RT-AX88U in AX mode with my ISP and my main clients is a big improvement over the RT-AC86U which I have so highly praised (and for good reasons). The extra RAM and the additional 2 cores are immediately noticeable, except as noted at the beginning of this post. Everything works fast and fluid.

I bought this router as a Black Friday sale and I feel this improvement is easily worth the full price for anyone that uses their network extensively, or, like me, just likes going fast. :) I'm sorry I took so long to get one!

Do I have every feature enabled on this router? No. I only enable features that do not diminish the potential the hardware offers.

This router is a great way to start off 2020 with even a couple of AX devices, or, depending on your ISP speeds, no AX clients at all. I will be testing and adjusting my 'minimal' settings as I learn more about its capabilities. I'm sure I will be setting up and installing quite a few of these in the coming months. Even at these very high prices! :)

@RMerlin, thank you and @thiggins and all the scriptwriters for making networking fun and enjoyable and allowing us to get full use out of the Asus hardware we have!

Tested both with asuscomm (DNS-based auth) and afraid (HTTP-based auth), both had no issue obtaining a Let's Encrypt certificate for me on my RT-AX88U.

Try clearing the content of /jffs/.le/ and /jffs/.certs/ first. If it still fails, send me your system log containing the acme.sh debug output.

EDIT: btw, all this "cat" command does is output the content of the certificate to the console, which is only useful when running acme.sh manually. The error message is simply because that output can't be sent to syslog.

Code:
  if [ "$Le_LinkCert" ]; then
    _info "$(__green "Cert success.")"
    cat "$CERT_PATH"

_info "Your cert is in $(__green " $CERT_PATH ")"

if [ -f "$CERT_KEY_PATH" ]; then
      _info "Your cert key is in $(__green " $CERT_KEY_PATH ")"
    fi

if [ ! "$USER_PATH" ] || [ ! "$ACME_IN_CRON" ]; then
      USER_PATH="$PATH"
      _saveaccountconf "USER_PATH" "$USER_PATH"
    fi
  fi

Last edited:
You should probably do a clean install of b3 (factory reset/wipe) to ensure your issue is not caused by b3.
Maybe, but it works fine on B.1 with no WiFi issues so I think I will wait until Merlin releases the final version before going to the bother of a total redo.

This happens since the beginning of the betas after a RESET, Wan LED remains off and the router try to Renewing IP without success, must reboot. No problem with all the firmwares before this one. And I am able to reproduce the problem at each resets o_O

Installed beta3. Installed FreshJR_QOS, HW acceleration still shows Runner and Cache as Enabled.

EDIT: using an 86U

Last edited:
Please define "seems broken".
Selecting the simple share option does not make it simple (so turning that on does not work). (I'm sorry but I do not know how else to describe it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!