What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 Beta and 384.13_3 are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
384.15 Beta and 384.13_3 (for RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200) is currently available. While these two releases contain few changes, the focus was on implementing a standard way for third party developers to implement and manage new features. This is accomplished in three ways:

1) Third party devs can now more easily add new pages to the webui (up to a maximum of 10 pages total are supported by the firmware), in any of the desired tabs
2) There is a settings repository, separate from nvram, which allows devs to add and store new settings, both from shell script and web pages
3) The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu (amtm) by thelonelycoder has been integrated in the firmware image, allowing users to more easily install/remove most popular addons, like Diversion or Skynet.

The documentation to the official addons API is documented on the Wiki: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Addons-API

Also note that due to the increasing differences between the 382 code used by the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 and this firmware's 384 code, these two models are currently basically on "life support". The 384.13_3 (which will become 384.13_4 on final release) is being released simultaneously for these two models, implementing the most important changes of 384.15 to try to at least keep them in sync in terms of important features (addons and amtm). The future for these two models is currently up in the air, and will depend on how things will evolve in the future regarding Asus's own firmware releases. Unless they eventually bring these two models on the same code base as their newer models, I will sooner or later have to drop support for these two models. For now, these two models will stay on the last compatible code (384.13_x), and will mostly receive just general fixes.

The highlights of the changes in this release:
  • Implemented addon API for third party developers, allowing to add new webui pages, and interact with settings.
  • New wan-event script, which will replace the (deprecated) wan-start script. This script will obtain the WAN unit as first parameter (0 for first, 1 for second), and the event type as the second parameter. Current event types are: init, connecting, connected, disconnected, stopped, disabled and stopping. Event type "connected" will match the former wan-start script event. Wan-start will be removed in a future release.
  • Implemented amtm. This shell script allows you to easily install/unstall various popular addons. The officially supported Entware installation method is also through amtm now - running entware-setup.sh will simply launch amtm. To launch amtm, please login over ssh, and type "amtm".
  • Merged GPL 384_7756 for RT-AX88U (which adds OFDMA and WPA3 support), and 385_10002 for other models (except RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200). Note that there wasn't much changes in 385_10002 vs 384_81351. A few fixes were also backported from the (newer) 384_81981.
  • Updated components: odhcp6c (1.1-97-ge199804), curl (7.67), openssl-1.0 (1.0.2u) and dnsmasq (2.80-114-ge40d8be).

Please read the changelog for the detailed list of changes.

Things that are in need of testing:
  • amtm. If you already had amtm installed, please try running amtm after updating your firmware, to test the migration procedure from the old standalone version to this new built-in version.
  • Try installing,uninstalling addons in amtm. Some of them already support webui additions, please check with their authors.
  • If you are a developer, please experiment with the new addon API. Feedback on the current implementation would also be appreciated.
  • DNSFilter in general, as some internal cleanups were made to the code

Please do not report about the RT-AX88U wifi, as this is outside of my control. If you have issues connecting with some of your devices, make sure you try disabling the new features like OFDMA ou Wi-Fi Agile, as some devices may not be compatible with these. Switching to WPA2/WPA3 also changes to a different WPA supplicant, so it can possibly have compatibility issues even if you don't have any WPA3 devices. Setting it back to WPA2 will revert to the original Broadcom daemon.

Also please keep discussions in this thread on the topic of this beta release. Off-topic posts will be either ignored or removed, depending on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Reserved.

the focus was on implementing a standard way for third party developers to implement and manage new features. This is accomplished in three ways:

1) Third party devs can nowmore easily add new pages tothe webui”

Who could have foreseen that this wonderful project would grow to the point where third-party developers are a significant part of it?

Smooth upgrade from 384.13_3-g2e71bc2d33 to 384.13_3 on 87u.
amtm (3.1.0 fw) working well on previous 384.13_3-g2e71bc2d33 (alpha was very stable)
Thanks RMerlin for keeping 87u on this extended life support, Very grateful !

Last edited:
Who could have foreseen that this wonderful project would grow to the point where third-party developers are a significant part of it?

Right? (You beat me to making a similar comment myself)
The groundwork or foundation currently being laid in this firmware for these routers looks to me to be able to take them significantly farther (and faster!) than the manufacturer ever intended.
Forge on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upgraded from 384.14_2 on my AC86U, which had the "old" amtm installed. All seemed to go smoothly when I first ran amtm via the command line, but once I exited amtm I ran into the issue reported by L&LD here: #1563
Was able to solve it in the same way once my brain kicked into gear. Be interested to see if this happens to others who already have amtm installed.

Last edited:
Running 2 68u routers in aimesh mode (wired backhaul) main router has amtm plus spmerlin diversion / uptime monitor... Is their a special way to upgrade both routers? 1st time I've ran scripts and 1time I've ran a mesh setup...

Thx in advance

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Installed the beta1. I played around with amtm, uninstalling/installing my currently used scripts. So far everything working great. I even uninstalled/ reinstalled Unbound. Everything went smoothly.

Went to 384.13_3 with no issues.

working very well here on ax88u, together with all the needed scripts ...

@usamamus I don't see why it wouldn't?

What firmware are you currently running? Are you using amtm and/or any scripts?

I would update all the scripts (including Entware) to the latest version, safely remove the USB drive(s) you have attached to the router and then flash the firmware.

RT-AC2900 upgrade from latest alpha version to beta 1. Router, amtm, DoT, Diversion, Skynet, everything is working flawlessly. Just amazing ... AC2900(AC86U) seems the perfect router for Merlin's Fw.

How the integration of the amtm in the FW will affect the amtm update cycle in the future? I.e. what if @thelonelycoder decides to update the amtm, but @RMerlin is not ready yet with new FW? Is it possible to perform such "amtm only" updates from within the amtm itself or we should wait until new FW is relaesed by @RMerlin?

How the integration of the amtm in the FW will affect the amtm update cycle in the future? I.e. what if @thelonelycoder decides to update the amtm, but @RMerlin is not ready yet with new FW? Is it possible to perform such "amtm only" updates from within the amtm itself or we should wait until new FW is relaesed by @RMerlin?

As stated in amtm thread both amtm versions will get updates at the same time and they are not firmware dependant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!