What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.15 Beta and 384.13_3 are now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i run amtm i get this

amtm 3.1.0 FW by thelonelycoder
RT-AX88U (aarch64) FW-384.15 @ 10.0.0.1

The Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

/usr/sbin/amtm: line 2: r_m: not found
2 open Skynet v7.0.9
/usr/sbin/amtm: line 42: r_m: not found

j3 open scMerlin v1.0.5

ep manage Entware packages
/usr/sbin/amtm: line 127: r_m: not found

sw manage Swap file /mnt/Disk1 2.0G

i show all available scripts or tools

u check for script updates

amtm options

e exit t theme r reset a about

OK - on RT-AC86U - Aimesh Router - all good - amtm FW version fine thanks ffor OpenVPN server fix :)

On RT-AC5300 - Aimesh node - all good EXCEPT - amtm FW version with errors [see code below].
amtm FW version was perfectly fine on 384.15_Alpha.2 Only had scMerlin script installed via amtm on ac5300

Dirty upgrade from alpha2 on both routers.

Code:
amtm 3.1.0 FW             by thelonelycoder
 RT-AC5300 (armv7l) FW-384.15 @ 192.168.1.22

j3 open     scMerlin                  v1.0.3

i  show     all available scripts or tools
 u  check    for script updates

amtm options
 e  exit      t  theme   r  reset   a  about

Enter option

@kernol I don't think amtm + scripts + Entware can be run off of an AiMesh node? Did this work before in Alpha 2?

@vdemarco are you also seeing this on an AiMesh node too?

@vdemarco were all the scripts including amtm fully up-to-date before flashing the Beta 1?

Does a reboot help?

Do any of the scripts 'live' by typing them in, directly in a terminal?

Is the USB drive healthy?

Does re-installing amtm help?

@vdemarco were all the scripts including amtm fully up-to-date before flashing the Beta 1?

Does a reboot help?

Do any of the scripts 'live' by typing them in, directly in a terminal?

Is the USB drive healthy?

Does re-installing amtm help?

all scripts worked before, and up to date. i haven’t rebooted, and all of the attached disks are fine.

In PuTTY or another terminal, type diversion, or Skynet or scmerlin or YazFi or any of the other scripts you've installed. Do they load?

Reboot the router but safely remove the USB drive first and then wait a good 10 minutes before ssh' in, to test.

This information is for users of the RT-AX88u (other routers may also be affected)

I know nothing can be done about it, but this information might be useful for others experiencing lower 2.4Ghz wifi signal after this update. It's actually got nothing to do with agile networking, wpa 3 or any of the other new wifi features. I have determined that the latest closed source driver appears to have altered which antennas transmit the 2.4Ghz radio.

I have several outdoor wifi cameras and prior to this update they all had a good signal strength because I removed one of the antennas from the router, ran a wifi extension cable outside and then mounted an external antenna so that my cameras would all have a good signal without outside walls blocking the signal (I live in the UK and the house has thick outside walls that block wifi). Now after flashing this update I noticed all my cameras had a very poor signal, but indoors the signal was pretty much the same as it has always been. So I decided to connect my external wifi cable to each antenna point in turn and then measure the outside signal. I found that the signal was poor outside on all but one of the antenna points. The only one that appears to be transmitting the 2.4Ghz radio is the rear left hand side antenna. If I connect my external wifi cable to this the signal outside is perfect, but the signal inside is very poor. If I connect the wifi cable to any other antenna then the wifi signal is good indoors but very poor outdoors.

Unfortunately for me this change is a deal breaker, so I'll have to revert to the previous release.

OK - on RT-AC86U - Aimesh Router - all good - amtm FW version fine thanks ffor OpenVPN server fix :)

On RT-AC5300 - Aimesh node - all good EXCEPT - amtm FW version with errors [see code below].
amtm FW version was perfectly fine on 384.15_Alpha.2 Only had scMerlin script installed via amtm on ac5300

Dirty upgrade from alpha2 on both routers.

Code:
amtm 3.1.0 FW             by thelonelycoder
 RT-AC5300 (armv7l) FW-384.15 @ 192.168.1.22

j3 open     scMerlin                  v1.0.3

i  show     all available scripts or tools
 u  check    for script updates

amtm options
 e  exit      t  theme   r  reset   a  about

Enter option
I just fixed this by removing the /jffs/addons/amtm and rerunning amtm.

All is well now.

This information is for users of the RT-AX88u (other routers may also be affected)

I know nothing can be done about it, but this information might be useful for others experiencing lower 2.4Ghz wifi signal after this update. It's actually got nothing to do with agile networking, wpa 3 or any of the other new wifi features. I have determined that the latest closed source driver appears to have altered which antennas transmit the 2.4Ghz radio.

I have several outdoor wifi cameras and prior to this update they all had a good signal strength because I removed one of the antennas from the router, ran a wifi extension cable outside and then mounted an external antenna so that my cameras would all have a good signal without outside walls blocking the signal (I live in the UK and the house has thick outside walls that block wifi). Now after flashing this update I noticed all my cameras had a very poor signal, but indoors the signal was pretty much the same as it has always been. So I decided to connect my external wifi cable to each antenna point in turn and then measure the outside signal. I found that the signal was poor outside on all but one of the antenna points. The only one that appears to be transmitting the 2.4Ghz radio is the rear left hand side antenna. If I connect my external wifi cable to this the signal outside is perfect, but the signal inside is very poor. If I connect the wifi cable to any other antenna then the wifi signal is good indoors but very poor outdoors.

Unfortunately for me this change is a deal breaker, so I'll have to revert to the previous release.

How does this behavior compare with the previous firmware? Which antenna(s) did the previous version transmit on?

How does this behaviour compare with the previous firmware? Which antenna(s) did the previous version transmit on?

They all did before. My external wifi cable is normally connect to the rear right hand side antenna point, and has worked fine on this point for a long time. On other occasions in the past I've also had it connected to the one of the far right hand side of the router, and the rear left and again it worked fine there.

Now when it is connected to the rear right hand side there is only a very weak 2.4Ghz signal outside. I know the antenna is still working as the 5ghz radio signal strength is very high when stood next to the external antenna. So it seems that Asus have altered the router to only transmit the 2.4Ghz signal from a single antenna (the rear left).

For those seeing errors in amtm after upgrading 384.15 firmware from alpha to beta, please run uu in amtm to get the updated amtm files.
And thanks for testing!

How the integration of the amtm in the FW will affect the amtm update cycle in the future? I.e. what if @thelonelycoder decides to update the amtm, but @RMerlin is not ready yet with new FW? Is it possible to perform such "amtm only" updates from within the amtm itself or we should wait until new FW is relaesed by @RMerlin?
To make this simple: amtm receives regular updates.
Let me worry about how I manage that for the regular or firmware version.

I just fixed this by removing the /jffs/addons/amtm and rerunning amtm.

All is well now.
amtm has a built in reset function r which resets the built-in version, while in the standard amtm it removes amtm.

Who could have foreseen that this wonderful project would grow to the point where third-party developers are a significant part of it?

Just look at the activity in the Absolution/Diversion/Skynet/FreshJR thread for the past 3 years or so.

How the integration of the amtm in the FW will affect the amtm update cycle in the future? I.e. what if @thelonelycoder decides to update the amtm, but @RMerlin is not ready yet with new FW? Is it possible to perform such "amtm only" updates from within the amtm itself or we should wait until new FW is relaesed by @RMerlin?

I worked with thelonelycoder (or rather, I made him work on it ;) ) to make amtm more modular. The firmware will contain a basic "core" amtm, but all the different applications it supports are plugins which get downloaded from his website. So if he updates a plugin, the built-in version of amtm will still pick it up without requiring a firmware upgrade.

Make sure you disable beamforming, as this relies on antenna diversity to do its job.

When providing feedback on amtm, make sure you specify if you are upgrading from the alpha builds, or from a previous official release.

I worked with thelonelycoder (or rather, I made him work on it ;) ) to make amtm more modular.
I will apply the same tactic to the amtm third party script writers :D
Actually, I already did that. For amtm to be modular I requested changes in their scripts - pronto!

Beta and AMTM is working flawlessly here so far. In the interest of testing, I did a dirty flash by: the mesh node first (and a reboot), then the router after removing the SSD (reboot). Plugged in the SSD, all the scripts came back and AMTM had no issues. Then, I did a factory reset/format JFFS and M&M. Since I did not have a lot of modification to Diversion/Skynet to save, I re-formatted the SSD (fat32 in windows) and used AMTM to format the drive, install a swap file, run disk check and install diversion and skynet. Zero issues. The skynet log is still empty (like "normal") but I'm sure that it will populate with some data when there is some. Great work and great product!

It appears that the AMTM step by step will be in need of updating ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!