What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Web interface does not update if I disable/enabled a guest network in Firefox on macOS (have to manually refresh the page to see the changes).

Everything working great and from customers' own words, 'even better than before' too.

I have to ask: is it a good time to upgrade customers to a beta version when everyone is currently rushing to get setup for remote work?

Five customers called me back and mentioned that the network felt faster vs. 384.15_0.

Unless they had an RT-AX88U which inherited a GPL update, there was no changes for the other models that would generate a performance gain, so chances are the gain was more from the reboot associated with the update than the update itself.

On a related note, I received GPL 384_81352 for the RT-AC86U. So next build will contain an updated SDK + wifi driver for this model, which will include a Kr00k fix. This is the ONLY model for which I have an updated GPL at this time, so don't about other models - I get these GPLs when I get them, there is no timeframe as to when I might be getting them.

I have to ask: is it a good time to upgrade customers to a beta version

Yeah i thought the same thing. I would never upgrade a customers router with anything but a final stable release. Just asking for issues and complaints.

On a related note, I received GPL 384_81352 for the RT-AC86U. So next build will contain an updated SDK + wifi driver for this model, which will include a Kr00k fix. This is the ONLY model for which I have an updated GPL at this time, so don't about other models - I get these GPLs when I get them, there is no timeframe as to when I might be getting them.

Was just going to upgrade to .16. Maybe I will hold off a tad.

Was just going to upgrade to .16. Maybe I will hold off a tad.

This is a beta cycle. Waiting for the last beta to test it might mean that bugs will not be caught early enough to be fixed before the final release.

This is a beta cycle. Waiting for the last beta to test it might mean that bugs will not be caught early enough to be fixed before the final release.
THEN TEST IT IS!

/me installs b2

EDIT: Only reason I was going to hold off is there was a mention of a driver update and was not sure if that would need a factory reset.

Last edited:
@RMerlin, I too was concerned about this for them too. But everyone that I upgraded to the Beta 2 does not rely on internet connectivity for work-related purposes. :)

I had mentioned this to them a while back (about them being beta testers). This is the first time I've actually offered and gone through with it (lots of time for all of us).

As for the performance increase, yes, a couple were using the RT-AX88U's, to the others, I said what you said. 'It was the reboot', as you've mentioned before. :)

And to add... most had over 40 days of uptime on the routers too. ;)

Last edited:
I am using WPA2/WPA3 Personal on both 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands with my RT-AX58U. I have 2 Intel AX200 clients, a bunch of Android devices, Fire TV, Google Home, and a bunch of Apple devices without any problems. Only the 2 Intel clients are actually connecting with WPA3. Very stable.

Yep stable, the iPhones are authenticating OK with WPA3 and other devices are OK with the WPA2 fallback. Only the Microsoft Surface is having problems with its chipset generation. I'm at 16_Beta2 now & will give it another go.

Update: At 384.16_B2. Microsoft Surface Pro 3 will not authenticate with WPA2 fallback when the router is set to WPA2/WPA3 Personal.

Last edited:

WooHOOO!!! I no longer have newer model envy...

WooHOOO!!! I no longer have newer model envy...
I've got a near-terminal case of newer model envy. The RT-AC88U GPL has been updated since October 8, 2019.

I've got a near-terminal case of newer model envy. The RT-AC88U GPL has been updated since October 8, 2019.

That’ll make a nice aimesh node...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to ask: is it a good time to upgrade customers to a beta version when everyone is currently rushing to get setup for remote work?

Unless they had an RT-AX88U which inherited a GPL update, there was no changes for the other models that would generate a performance gain, so chances are the gain was more from the reboot associated with the update than the update itself.

Anybody know wifi performance of latest gpl for the ac86u?

Asus no longer keeps these two models in sync with the newer models, so it's not because they aren't releasing updates, it's because those updates that they release are no longer compatible.

Probably a stupid question, but from a fix/security perspective, are we better off following the limited support Merlin releases, or reverting back to Asus firmware?

Is there a recommended replacement for the AC3200 with better Merlin support? It looks like AC5300 is the only other triband router. Is the AC5300 currently fully supported by Merlin? Is there any hint or indication that Asus may sidetrack this model the same way they did the AC3200? I don't mind buying a new router to keep Merlin support, but I'd really hate to find myself in the same place in 6 months.

Last edited:
Is the AC5300 currently fully supported by Merlin?

From https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/about

Asuswrt-Merlin officially supports the following router models:

• RT-AC66U_B1 (same firmware as the RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68U (including revisions C1 and E1)
  • RT-AC68P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC68UF (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC87
  • RT-AC3200
  • RT-AC88U
  • RT-AC3100
  • RT-AC5300
  • RT-AC1900 (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC1900P (same firmware as RT-AC68U)
  • RT-AC86U (starting with version 382.1)
  • RT-AC2900 (same firmware as RT-AC86U)
  • RT-AX88U

My ISP IP have changed yesterday but my asus ddns don't update. On the DDNS page I see no error but when I use my ddns it's the old IP. I have a RT-AX88U on 384.16.b2

Yes, this is what happened to me.
For the record, this morning and after retrying to disable/re-enable DDNS, my new IP was correctly registered. Apparently and according to the log messages there was an asus name server down (ns1.asuscomm.com) which was causing this and other servers to be unreachable and preventing the DDNS register to complete successfully, so the problem was due to external causes and not a problem related to this beta.

I'm still on 384.15, but since this is a beta thread I might as well report the problem here (if it is a problem) for a fix in the next release.

I have an openVPN client running on Windows 10. I added some extra security in the openvpn config files and this works fine! block-outside-dns is for preventing dns leaks.

Code:
block-outside-dns
auth-nocache

But when I add the above options in my RT-AC88U, VPN -> VPN Client -> Custom Configuration the VPN service state remains off! :(
Removing it and all works but I have a dns leak.

This is the standard Custom Configuration:
Code:
resolv-retry infinite
persist-remote-ip
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA

Any idea's?

Hi @RMerlin

why does the value in memory stand with a space?

Code:
 2:swctrlmap4_misc5g_fem3to0= 0

is the presence of a space critical for this parameter?

H/W Ver 1.1

000.jpg

Anyone else with RT-AX58U experiencing horrible problems when AiProtect or even QoS is enabled? I'm getting same horrible problems with stock ASUS or Merlin Beta2 FW.

When I enable AiProtect or QoS, wireless connectivity is pretty much f**ked and will just not work well, have constant drops, problems reconnecting, just horrible. And IPTV also just goes dead and won't route IPTV signal through correctly.

I've tweaked many things, have NextDNS client installed and all is working, but the moment I turn on AiProtect or QoS, router just chokes itself to death.
There seems to be something horribly wrong with the proprietary part of the firmware, made by Trend Micro? When any of that gets turned on, router just craps itself entirely. Without it, it seems to work perfectly.

I can't be the only one with these problems, surely...

Last edited:
Anyone else with RT-AX58U experiencing horrible problems when AiProtect or even QoS is enabled? I'm getting same horrible problems with stock ASUS or Merlin Beta2 FW.

When I enable AiProtect or QoS, wireless connectivity is pretty much f**ked and will just not work well, have constant drops, problems reconnecting, just horrible. And IPTV also just goes dead and won't route IPTV signal through correctly.

I've tweaked many things, have NextDNS client installed and all is working, but the moment I turn on AiProtect or QoS, router just chokes itself to death.
There seems to be something horribly wrong with the proprietary part of the firmware, made by Trend Micro? When any of that gets turned on, router just craps itself entirely. Without it, it seems to work perfectly.

I can't be the only one with these problems, surely...
Did you try FreshJR on this router ? Would be interesting to see if this older QoS script still works well with this new router.

Since applying 384.16 beta2 over beta1, I've noticed a few odd issues. I've got an RT-AX88U.

1) Sporadically, the network map page doesn't fully populate. It doesn't load current upload/download bandwidth, doesn't show all 8 lan ports, even with a scrollbar, and doesn't load connected clients.
2) Skynet seems to reset, during which, I'll get a blank webui page. Per stats in ssh (and webui once it reloads) its occuring exactly every 10 minutes. I've wiped JFFS partition, reformatted usb, recreated swap, reinstalled entware and skynet but I'm still seeing the resets.

Attachments

• skynet.png
    skynet.png
    293.8 KB · Views: 179
  • networkmap.jpg
    networkmap.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 171
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!