What's new

Release [Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you have tried a full Rescue Mode recovery for your AT3100 ?? If not some guidance at this link here.
I noticed that in posts elsewhere you have mentioned power surges frying some kit ... so maybe the AC3100 has been tenuous for some time and has now given up properly :eek:.

Rescue Mode has sorted badly "confused" Asus routers for me after wobbly firmware update attempts of firmware.
EDITED: - just in case anyone thought I was suggesting the firmware was wobbly ;).
Thanks for the input, I did try that process too but had the same result. A past surge is a possibility; that is why all my network appliances, computers, and entertainment devices are now behind a UPS. Never had any problems with the AC3100 until now; it was a little slow to respond as an AP but it's wireless performance was pretty good.

No, nothing has, see the posted changelog. It's mostly VPN and DNS changes.

It's a good thing you brought up the DNS changes. It wasn't until I changed from 9.9.9.11 to 8.8.8.8 that internet came back. Having said that, my AC86U has a scheduled reboot that has worked for the last 28 months; but with the b2 install...no joy. I woke up to no internet. I went to investigate and found my unit in hibernation. I manual power cylce has brought it back, but now I don't want to touch it because I have no backup device and I need it for telework... 1st time I've ever had issues, but going forward, I'll stick to final versions.

Anybody notice or are there any indications that Dual Wan Failover could be or is fixed or improved in 384.19?

Anybody notice or are there any indications that Dual Wan Failover could be or is fixed or improved in 384.19?
I try to use Dual WAN failover with an ethernet port connected 4G modem. Sometimes I think it's working and sometimes it seems to detect the WAN has been restored as soon as it fails over to my back and keeps flip-flopping between the two. There also seems to be issues around using DHCP and Static IP on the backup router that leave it in cold standby. My best experience was having the backup set to DHCP with manually configured DNS servers, but I still have the issue it keeps failing back.

I've read that it works much better if you are using a USB 4G backup.

I try to use Dual WAN failover with an ethernet port connected 4G modem. Sometimes I think it's working and sometimes it seems to detect the WAN has been restored as soon as it fails over to my back and keeps flip-flopping between the two. There also seems to be issues around using DHCP and Static IP on the backup router that leave it in cold standby. My best experience was having the backup set to DHCP with manually configured DNS servers, but I still have the issue it keeps failing back.

I've read that it works much better if you are using a USB 4G backup.

Thanks for update. I too use an ethernet connected LTE modem and my experience was similar but havn't tried 384.19 yet. I think I will hold off again for awhile before testing a switch back to the Asus back to being my primary router instead of just an access point.

I wonder how load balancing is working instead? Thinking of replacing the LTE with a backup DSL line now that work at home has exposed how often the network gets just flaky enough to be almost useless but not failover.

Hi
I updated my AC86U from 384.19b1 to b2.
It seems my credentials got corrupted during the update. I am unable to login to router via webgui and ssh.
I am also getting "authentication failed" for vpn connections to the router.
Guess it is time for the long overdue reset.

After 20 hours, I came back home with the same issue; on beta 2. Wired devices were fine, but there was no internet on all wifi connected devices...they were connected, but there was no internet. I had to roll back to 384.18 and for sanities sake, I disabled Parental Controls, DNS Filter, Enabled AiProtection [never on], FlexQOS, and DNS Privacy Protocol. I'll reload my settings tomorrow morning; right now everyone's either watching IPTV or playing Fortnite. Prior to this, I usually have 40-50 devices connected at all times of the day without issue.

Sounds very similar to my issue. Devices on 2.4 arent seeing internet. Have done multiple full wipes and tons of different settings. Only downgrading resolves so far.

Hi
I updated my AC86U from 384.19b1 to b2.
It seems my credentials got corrupted during the update. I am unable to login to router via webgui and ssh.
I am also getting "authentication failed" for vpn connections to the router.
Guess it is time for the long overdue reset.

More like you were affected by the JFFS partition change

Hello @RMerlin
I noticed something while setting up my router again.
The "show passwords" option on the vpn server page will not show the password as "plain text". Is this related to the vpn rewrite?

Attachments

• 2020-08-12 21_17_45-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - VPN Server.png
    2020-08-12 21_17_45-ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - VPN Server.png
    140.7 KB · Views: 200
Hello @RMerlin
I noticed something while setting up my router again.
The "show passwords" option on the vpn server page will not show the password as "plain text". Is this related to the vpn rewrite?

The RT-AC86U now encrypts passwords, so actually that checkbox should no longer be there for that model.

after 2days on b2, all my 2.4Ghz clients were kicked out (disconnected) and couldn't reconnect.
5Ghz was fine.
reboot fixed it. ax88
looking into the logs...

Last edited:
RX-88 - When updating to B1, and also updating to B2 in both cases the wifi radios were turned off. Since I have a mesh (wired backhaul) it took me a while to figure out that there was a problem and what the problem actually was. Need to go to the wireless/professional tab and turn your radios back on. Makes a big difference, lol.

Has happened a few times. I open up GUI and half of it loads, but left column of menus (General, Network Map, Guest Network, AiProtection, etc) doesn't appear and reload this page symbol (in browser) just spins. If I close browser and try it again, everything works.

Known design flaw of the RT-AC86U that has existed for years, unrelated to this beta.

Good to know...it hadn't happened to my 3yo router until yesterday. It doesn't explain the other issues though. It had been rock solid with more than a dozen Merlin updates until b2. Rolled back to 384.18 and restored my JFFS partition and settings; all is well again :)

Thanks for the input, I did try that process too but had the same result. A past surge is a possibility; that is why all my network appliances, computers, and entertainment devices are now behind a UPS. Never had any problems with the AC3100 until now; it was a little slow to respond as an AP but it's wireless performance was pretty good.
My AC3100 packed it in hardware failure style too!

Is it just me or is anyone else getting a jffs low space warning after a factory reset even with intialize ticked?

after 2days on b2, all my 2.4Ghz clients were kicked out (disconnected) and couldn't reconnect.
5Ghz was fine.
reboot fixed it. ax88
looking into the logs...

happened again overnight.
found the router with only 5GHz clients connected and the 2.4GHz clients unable to reconnect.
reboot fixed it.
couldn't find anything relevant in the logs.
there was this line, but it look innocuous to me:
Aug 13 02:00:01 RT-AX88U-8158 kernel: echo (4142): drop_caches: 3

started happening after installing b2

Last edited:
happened again overnight.
found the router with only 5GHz clients connected and the 2.4GHz clients unable to reconnect.
reboot fixed it.
couldn't find anything relevant in the logs.
there was this line, but it look innocuous to me:
Aug 13 02:00:01 RT-AX88U-8158 kernel: echo (4142): drop_caches: 3
Interesting. I saw a similar behaviour with my AX88U, but I was running 384.18. In the morning all my IOT devices and 2.4GHz clients were off-line and not able to re-connect. 5GHz was fine. A restart of the AX88U solved it.

An upgrade to 384.19_beta1 saw that problem go away. Beta2 upgrade has been fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!