What's new

[Beta] RT-AC87U/RT-AC3200 9.0.0.4_378_9481 Beta for checking bug in Traffic Analyzer -> Statistic

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vanic

Regular Contributor
Hi all guys,

I am ASUS software R&D, Vanic. Few one know me and most of people don't, @RMerlin and @ASUS_ASUSWRT can confirm my identification. What I want is to check issue in [Traffic Analyzer -> Statistic], if any issue about that, you can contact with me privately. I will update information to this thread.

Something to clarify:
1. Traffic analyzer is not real-time, record database in each hours
2. At first usage, we will help to record database in 10 mins (you just wait for 10 sec, you can see the traffic, but after 10 mins, it won't record.)
3. Traffic analyzer works with ntp sync, if you never done ntp sync, it has no data.
4. When you use DownloadMaster or USB or something will write / read IO, it will make the time of loading data longer, in my simple testing, it spends 5 sec to complete showing traffic statistics. (my database is 3.5MB for 3 months recording with 5 clients.)
5. The database size is 30MB in /jffs/
- store into USB storage is still not to implement
- other space is used to save other database
6. We will consider to do some GUI modification about Traffic Analyzer in future work, but we are proceeding to refine some GUI style in other pages now.

Beta firmware:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oa03sdqmhc41rtj/AABtZzxZcMjLYolt8f03nlnza?dl=0

How to debug:

1. upgrade to beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9481 (updated in 2015/12/30)
2. after 2 hours, save your system log and mail to router_feedback@asus.com
3. *MUST* describe what problem you face (updated in 2015/11/16)
- If you don't find any bug and face any problem, not need to feedback.
4. *MUST* add mail title with [Traffic analyzer issue] (updated in 2015/11/16)
- If you don't add mail title for me, I can't search for this mail, and then I can't debug.

Known issues:
1. After a long time recording, you click this page, it shows very slow, it's because of GUI loading data.
=> won't do anything in 378 firmware (should be faster now!)
2. Switching traffic analyzer's unit : bits or bytes
=> won't do anything in 378 firmware
3. MAC / IP mapping to correct hostname
=> should be fixed in 378-9313 or beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9332
4. After changing "Display for" or "Show by", it make traffic larger and larger
=> should be fixed in 378-9313 or beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9332
5. After clicking "Last date" to select other date, sub-traffic chart show nothing
=> fixed in beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9332
6. clicking the future date, traffic chart should show nothing
ex. today is 2015/11/16, when you click 2015/11/17, traffic chart should show nothing.
=> fixed in beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9332 (updated in 2015/11/16)
7. when "Display for" is app, and change "All apps" to any app type (ex. Dropbox), traffic shows nothing.
=> fixed in beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9366 (updated in 2015/11/24)
8. when "Display for" is app, and change "All apps" to any app type (ex. Dropbox), sub-traffic chart has wrong title.
9. when "Display for" is app, and change "All apps" to any app type (ex. Dropbox), and select back "Display for" is router, show nothing.
10. when "Display for" is app, select the fifth app in top 5 chart, and then change "Display for" back to router, if router's client is less than 4 client, will show the old fifth app traffic in top 5 chart.
11. click "Apps" -> click today, it will show clients in sub-chart.
How to duplicate?
a. 12/16/2015 + apps + click green color
b. select today 12/16/2015 again
c. show first device name + green (two errors all happened!)
=> postpone 2~3 weeks to handle (updated in 2015/12/15)
=> fixed in 2015/12/29 (updated in 2015/12/30)

Bugfix in beta firmware:
[bugfix] switching display for “router” and “apps”, “All clients” should interaction with “All apps”
[bugfix] display for Apps and select certain apps, pie chart shows no data
[bugfix] fix bandwidth monitor will be 16383.x suddenly
[bugfix] spam log : start NTP update
[bugfix] spam log : mastiff log message
[bugfix] adaptive qos : customize will show nothing after some setting

Suggestion: (2015/12/02)
1. time scale change into 0~23, not 1~0
=> not to modify, but we will consider in future work
2. add clear button
=> not to modify, but we will consider in future work
=> you can delete by yourself via command : rm /jffs/traffic.db, it will make all data clear, so be careful if you don't want to make traffic disappear.

Others: (2015/12/04)
Update RT-AC68U beta firmware here, it's only for AiProtection VP and FTP issue, and it includes all bug fixes here. Don't feedback any information here, please mail or have a conversation with me, make this thread clean.

Note: only Traffic analyzer issue, please don't feedback others.

Thanks,
Vanic

Last edited:
Hi Vanic,

Thanks for the reply.
In the 3rd point of clarification, you said that Traffic analyzer works with ntp sync...

Well, (in my case) one thing I want to point out is that I specified the address of the NTP server with the alias and not with the IP number.

However, in the meantime I'll try to enter the IP number.

Thanks,
Giovanni B.

ASUS RT-AC3200 firmware 3.0.0.4.378_7838

Hi all guys,

I am ASUS software R&D, Vanic. Few one know me and most of people don't, @Merlin and @ASUS_ASUSWRT can identify my identification. What I want is to check issue in [Traffic Analyzer -> Statistic], if any issue about that, you can contact with me privately. And then I will release beta firmware for all users with debug log or debug message.

Something to clarify:
1. Traffic analyzer is not real-time, record database in each hours
2. For first usage, we will help to record database in 10 mins (you just wait for 10 sec, you can see the traffic, but after 10 mins, it won't record.)
3. Traffic analyzer works with ntp sync, if you never done ntp sync, it has no data.

Firmware debug:
Please update to firmware 9313, you can get in other thread of this forum.

Known issues:
1. After a long time recording, you click this page, it shows very slow, it's because of GUI loading data.
2. Switching traffic analyzer's unit : bits or bytes
3. MAC / IP mapping to correct hostname
=> should be fixed in 9313
4. After changing "Display for" or "Show by", it make traffic larger
=> should be fixed in 9313

Beta firmware:
After debugging, I will add firmware link here.

Note: only Traffic analyzer issue, please don't feedback others.

Thanks,
Vanic
ASUS-Tek Inc.

Hi Giovanni B.,

As I know, AC3200 378-9313 will release in two days. If possible, you can update into this version, and when you encounter issue, please contact with me privately via mail or smallnebuilder's conversation. You just check system log - general log, if your time-stamp is correct, you must done ntp sync.

Hi Vanic,

Thanks for the reply.
In the 3rd point of clarification, you said that Traffic analyzer works with ntp sync...

Well, (in my case) one thing I want to point out is that I specified the address of the NTP server with the alias and not with the IP number.

However, in the meantime I'll try to enter the IP number.

Thanks,
Giovanni B.

ASUS RT-AC3200 firmware 3.0.0.4.378_7838

Just to confirm as some people were wondering, Vanic is indeed part of Asus's R&D team back at Taiwan HQ, we've been in touch for a few months already. You can reach to him for all things related to Traffic Analyzer.

Hi all,
Update new beta firmware to fix some bugs. Now there is only RT-AC87U firmware, I will release Ac3200 tomorrow.

Thanks,
Vanic

I just updated to your latest beta. The traffic monitor, both clients and apps, are now loading much faster. Good job!

To @VANT : what you report to me should be fixed as below:
5. After clicking "Last date" to select other date, sub-traffic chart show nothing
=> fixed in beta firmware 9.0.0.4_378_9332
You can double check about this, I also modify GUI / database / querying function, it should work better now.

TA looks like it works as it should.
Many thanks vanic .
I will continue testing this functionality .

we should send syslog from 9332 ? For me now TA work quite ok.
but many Times i see
Code:
Nov 15 11:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 12:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 13:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 14:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 15:00:17 hour monitor: diff_sec=3598
Nov 15 16:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 17:00:17 hour monitor: diff_sec=3598
Nov 15 18:00:15 hour monitor: diff_sec=3600
Nov 15 19:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 20:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599

another think that i saw
in networkmap on some clients i still see "Loading Manufacturer..."
netmap.png

in 9313 its work ok and eg. i see Samsung phones or etc,
I know that is not related to this topic but its only for information

Last edited:
we should send syslog from 9332 ? For me now TA work quite ok.
but many Times i see
Code:
Nov 15 11:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 12:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 13:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 14:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 15:00:17 hour monitor: diff_sec=3598
Nov 15 16:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 17:00:17 hour monitor: diff_sec=3598
Nov 15 18:00:15 hour monitor: diff_sec=3600
Nov 15 19:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599
Nov 15 20:00:16 hour monitor: diff_sec=3599

another think that i saw
in networkmap on some clients i still see "Loading Manufacturer..."
View attachment 4812
in 9313 its work ok and eg. i see Samsung phones or etc,
I know that is not related to this topic but its only for information

1. diff_sec=xxxx : it's for debug usage, my firmware is beta firmware, not normal release. In normal release version, it will be removed. I don't want end-user to debug, this message will save in system log and you just feedback system log for me. It's quick and easy for all.

2. NetworkMap seems to broken due to IEEE OUI server broken.

Last edited:
It's definitely better but I just checked the usage. Google Chrome is using the most so I changed the selection from Router to Apps. The Percentage, Current Traffic, & Daily Traffic were all populated. When I selected Google Chrome from the drop down, all of the data went to 0. I changed back to Router & All Clients but the data was still all 0 & the lower pane still showed Client: Google with no statistics. If I then change the Show By to Weekly & back to Daily, the data shows up again. There are several things wrong with the bottom pane when switching between the options in the upper pane. Let me know if you want me to send screenshots.

I'm using firmware 9.0.0.4.378_9332-g79a206b

Hello Vanic. I update my router RT-AC87U to version FW 9.0.0.4.378_9332 and test Traffic Analyzer. All should see ok but i found one cosmetic bugs...

When i set DISPLAY FO ROUTER i have my one client in bright RED color.
TA Router.jpg

then i set DISPLAY FOR APPS and select WORLD WIDE WEB HTTP. And it is in BLUE color.
TA Apps.jpg

Then i go back to DISPLAY FOR ROUTER and i have name Client in bright RED color but other data for this client still have in BLUE color. All should be in bright RED color as on first screenshot.

After go back to ROUTER DISPLAY:
TA go back to router.jpg

And next bug is that data is not automatic refresh... I must go to other menu and go back to Traffic Analyzer and data will be refresh.

Attachments

• TA go back to router.jpg
    TA go back to router.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 460
i have same color issue
ta_color.png

I found next bug. I have Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920F and when i have display for ROUTER and click on something for this client(example: HTTP Protocol) open window with clank name CLIENT(select on screen in RED color:

blank client.jpg

For other client example my switch Cisco SG200-08 i click on NTP and show ok name cllient:

ok client name.jpg

But next problem is... I have connected my Samsung Galaxy S6 from 16.11.2015 about 23:00 to 17.11.2015 about 7:00 AM. But on graphic diagram show that my Samsung S6 was connected to 17.11.2015 about 9:00 AM. It is impossible.

wrong graph.jpg

Ok thanks. I send email...

Dear pepeEL,

This isn't the first time you keep demanding and every single day asking when we will release new 5Ghz driver to resolve battery drain.
You did it on Hardwarezone and now smallnetbuilder. If you continue behave in such a way and i will request admin to ban you from both forums site.

Best regard,
ASUS Global
JK

Last edited:
Dear pepeEL,

This isn't the first time you keep demanding and every single day asking when we will release new 5Ghz driver to resolve battery drain.
You did it on Hardwarezone and now smallnetbuilder. If you continue behave in such a way and i will request admin to ban you from both forums site.

Best regard,
ASUS Global
JK

I am watching in the background, and i have noticed that pepeEL is demanding way too much. SNB or hardwarezone should not be used as a platform for personal gratification, and asus need not bother to entertain pepeEL. His posts were remotely related to the topics and repeated posts were nothing but spams.

I hope the moderators can enhance their presence in the forums so as to deter pepeEL's arrogance in demanding "perfect" firmware by picking on intangible bugs. If he is unhappy with asus, he can move on and purchase other brands. let the R&Ds of the other brands deal with his exceptional requests.

Calm down young man. A rogue customer has nothing to lose. In a flash second he can have a different identity with a new life. You won't have such privledge as you're representing a brand. Most users will understand that you're entitled to remain silent. Reasonable amount of responses are provided. And this thread was stated at the beginning for dealing a specific issue. By that he's way off topic already.

Another note is that in a multicultural forum English is not first language for all. Apparently that's the case for him. Put it another way. Don't take it personally at face value of his words. Even though I do feel.. he perhaps should learn to speak and behave properly.

I agree but disagree somewhat with this sentiment - I own two RT-AC87Us and feel the same as many users on this forum do that the 5GHz radio was extremely broken upon release of this router and still does not perform to a reasonable standard today.

We are very lucky however to now have not only one representative from ASUS but two grace these forums with a sign of goodwill to put forward the effort we have seen for months now to get these issues resolved and the last thing I think anyone wants is for ASUS to roll up their sleeves and walk away from both here and HardwareZone because of the unreasonable demands from one or two forum users. No other manufacturer has stepped up to the plate like ASUS has with these Quantenna chipsets and I for one am very grateful for that, regardless of how the product was initially released.

To those like @pepeEL and @VANT, I ask as a fellow RT-AC87U user to please have patience and to work with - instead of making demands - towards the friendly ASUS reps who are taking the time to help us. ASUS has clearly committed to working out these issues regardless of how much effort is involved, but it is going to take some time - possibly even a few more months into the future. Responsibly testing beta firmwares and reporting feedback is vital in this process, but demanding specific features for yourself and special beta builds to test is not constructive and will hurt this process in the long run.

Lastly, thanks to @vanic and @ASUS_ASUSWRT for your support both here on these forums and on HardwareZone - it is very much appreciated by the vast majority of us.

(My apologizes as well for continuing this off-topic discussion, but I think this needs to be said.)

Hi all,

Thanks for your support and understanding, I just confirm that I can ignore something unreasonable. I have requested admin (@ASUS_ASUSWRT) to remove some posts to keep this thread clean. Let us fix traffic analyzer issue here. UI bugs are proceeding to fix now. Be patient to wait for a new and better firmware here, thanks all guys!

Thanks,
Vanic

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!