What's new

Building New Network From Scratch Question About Using Third Party Modem With DSL ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Network Freak 2009

Occasional Visitor
Hi I am redoing my network but first I have a few questions

Here is general information related to my questions

1.I have ATT Fast Access DSL Service
2.I may switch to ATT Uverse in the distant future not now but my be asking questions for information purposes now I will try to keep the questions in two sections to not be confusing.

DSL Service

Type:Fast Access DSL Ultra
Maximum Downstream/Upstream:1.5Mbps/256kbpsdfc

Modem Model
Model #:c90-610030
Revision:F

Here are the questions

Fast Access DSL Service

1.I know two years ago when I was researching Linksys Offered A Cable/DSL Modem product but when I click on the modem section I now see only a cable modem did Linksys discontinue their DSL Modems?

ATT Uverse Questions

1.Is ATT Uverse Cable Internet Service Or Is it a different service?

Monday Morning they seal the walls so I need to get the Wires For the Wired part of the network run by sunday the latest

Any advice would be helpful this is the first wired network I will have setup Ive only had wireless until now I will be replacing that as well later but I want to concentrate on the Wired part of the network first

Thanks In Advance For The Replys

Last edited:
Sorry If I Posted in the wrong section

Sorry If I Posted in the wrong section but nobody has answered my questions yet please help thanks

I want to change my modem which is a black Westell Supplied by AT&T

I want to change my modem which is a black Westell Supplied by AT&T because somebody told me that the modem will degrade preformance if a lot of family members are using the Wired Network at the same time is this true???

Thanks In Advance For Your Replys

1.I know two years ago when I was researching Linksys Offered A Cable/DSL Modem product but when I click on the modem section I now see only a cable modem did Linksys discontinue their DSL Modems?
Are you looking for these?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005T6GZ/?tag=snbforums-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WIK61I/?tag=snbforums-20

1.Is ATT Uverse Cable Internet Service Or Is it a different service?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_U-verse

Any advice would be helpful this is the first wired network I will have setup Ive only had wireless until now I will be replacing that as well later but I want to concentrate on the Wired part of the network first
The good news is that the method of Internet connection (fiber, coax, DSL) doesn't matter for how you set up your network. All you need to do is run CAT 5e or 6 cabling from all the locations you want drops to a central point where the Internet modem will go.

I want to change my modem which is a black Westell Supplied by AT&T because somebody told me that the modem will degrade preformance if a lot of family members are using the Wired Network at the same time is this true???
I haven't tested any Westell modems. But if you provide the exact model # perhaps someone can help.
You also need to tell us what your subscribed download / upload speeds are.

New Question

Are you looking for these?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005T6GZ/?tag=snbforums-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WIK61I/?tag=snbforums-20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT&T_U-verse

The good news is that the method of Internet connection (fiber, coax, DSL) doesn't matter for how you set up your network. All you need to do is run CAT 5e or 6 cabling from all the locations you want drops to a central point where the Internet modem will go.

So If I Understand you correctly no matter what service I plan on getting in the future I will be Ok ? (fiber, coax, DSL) with Cat 6 Cabling for the inside of the house because the problem is after we are done remodeling every thing will be sealed and I can't change any of the cables that are in the wall any more.

Thanks Very Much For Your Help

So If I Understand you correctly no matter what service I plan on getting in the future I will be Ok ? (fiber, coax, DSL) with Cat 6 Cabling for the inside of the house because the problem is after we are done remodeling every thing will be sealed and I can't change any of the cables that are in the wall any more.
That is correct. CAT5e / 6 will handle Gigabit Ethernet just fine.

I have 2 questions

1.Is ATT Fast Access DSL Compatabile with Linksys Routers ?
2.Can I Use a Cisco By Linksys Product with a Cisco Access Point will they work together?

Thanks In Advance For Your Replys

Hi I have a couple of more questions

1.I know you said that I can run either Cat 5 Or Cat 6 for the wired network but will I be able to connect Cat 5 devices with Cat 6 Cables like a Playstation 3, A Networked AV Receiver or are cat 5 products not useable with cat 6 cables?

2.If You have an access point can laptops which will use the wireless portion of the network still access the printers on the network if they are connected to a wired print server?

3.Assuming that I know how to configure Cisco products can I just use all cisco products in a home instead of linksys the reason I ask is because I want some features that are not offered in the linksys consumer products like POE,VPN this question is mainy related to a switch I would like to buy a managed switch since this is a house I guess I would need mainly Ethernet connection,I want it to be stackable also just incase I need to expand the network later.

Thanks For Your Replys

1.I know you said that I can run either Cat 5 Or Cat 6 for the wired network but will I be able to connect Cat 5 devices with Cat 6 Cables like a Playstation 3, A Networked AV Receiver or are cat 5 products not useable with cat 6 cables?
Yes. The Category of the cable ("CAT") indicates the maximum bandwidth. Either CAT 5e or 6 cables can be used for Gigabit Ethernet. If you were running 10 Gigabit Ethernet you would need CAT6. It will be a long time, if ever that 10G Ethernet comes down to consumer price levels. If you want to waste your money to be ready for 10G, then install CAT6a cable or CAT7 if you can find it. I wouldn't bother.

2.If You have an access point can laptops which will use the wireless portion of the network still access the printers on the network if they are connected to a wired print server?
Yes.

3.Assuming that I know how to configure Cisco products can I just use all cisco products in a home instead of linksys the reason I ask is because I want some features that are not offered in the linksys consumer products like POE,VPN this question is mainy related to a switch I would like to buy a managed switch since this is a house I guess I would need mainly Ethernet connection,I want it to be stackable also just incase I need to expand the network later.
Your questions indicate a very basic understanding of networking. I recommend that you don't try to wrestle with Cisco enterprise grade products or managed switches. Stick with consumer grade products that are easy to configure. And you don't need managed / stackable switches to expand the number of ports in a network.

I need POE because I pan to put a few cameras on the outside of the house and where the cameras are going to be placed there is no electrical outlet and I need VPN because I want to share a NAS which has photos with a couple of family members so they can also use that as storage if they need too and I want a secure connection which is why I need VPN

I am going to do some rearch on some products and post a list when I am done so you can tell me if I am on the right track.:)

I have one more question for now

I have one more question for now say I want to connect a device that's capped in the hardware at 10mps half duplex will it still work with cat 6 or cat 6a cables?