What's new

Buying a second Asus router to be a dedicated VPN router, thoughts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

snoopeloop568

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a 87U router and was wondering if buying a second router (Asus N300) to be my VPN router is a good idea. The second VPN configured router would be connected directly to my 87U. Would this setup work? I'd like to have some of my devices connected without a VPN and only select devices connected to the VPN enabled router.

Also will the N300 continue to be supported in the future or is it almost end of life when it comes to security updates?

I currently have a 87U router and was wondering if buying a second router (Asus N300) to be my VPN router is a good idea. The second VPN configured router would be connected directly to my 87U. Would this setup work? I'd like to have some of my devices connected without a VPN and only select devices connected to the VPN enabled router.

Also will the N300 continue to be supported in the future or is it almost end of life when it comes to security updates?

If you are buying for VPN, consider the RT-AC86U... it has the hardware for it.

OE

I'm considering the Asus N300 because it's only $25.

I like the idea, however...

It's not a good candidate - one can set up a really nice OpenVPN server on a SBC like the FriendlyARM NanoPI Neo2, and that's a pretty affordable board for OVPN offload...

Yeah, one have to grok a full linux experience to get there - but hey, it's like travel - is it the destination, or the journey that counts...

(NanoPI NEO2 is a Quad Cortex-A53, runs full linux, and OpenWRT has early support for it in snapshot builds)

I like the idea, however...

It's not a good candidate - one can set up a really nice OpenVPN server on a SBC like the FriendlyARM NanoPI Neo2, and that's a pretty affordable board for OVPN offload...

Yeah, one have to grok a full linux experience to get there - but hey, it's like travel - is it the destination, or the journey that counts...

(NanoPI NEO2 is a Quad Cortex-A53, runs full linux, and OpenWRT has early support for it in snapshot builds)

That seems like a lot of work to get up and running. I was mainly looking for something cheap and user friendly. Even if it is not very elegant it should work right?

That seems like a lot of work to get up and running. I was mainly looking for something cheap and user friendly. Even if it is not very elegant it should work right?

perhaps just stick with your 87U - it's got more resources available than trying to offload to an N300 class device...

N300 is likely, for most chipsets now in the class - might get you 8 to 16 Mbit/Sec bandwidth - the 87U is going to do much better than that...

perhaps just stick with your 87U - it's got more resources available than trying to offload to an N300 class device...

N300 is likely, for most chipsets now in the class - might get you 8 to 16 Mbit/Sec bandwidth - the 87U is going to do much better than that...

Okay, that makes sense. Is there a cheap but good wired only solution I can put infront of my 87U instead?

Okay, that makes sense. Is there a cheap but good wired only solution I can put infront of my 87U instead?
good solutions are not cheap, at least not like $25 with a friendly interface.
either you spend more or build you own solutions, or find a old PC/notebook to run the VPN server.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!