What's new

Bypass Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paradoxgrowth

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I have a Qnap server and a RT-AC68U. They have been working great together with no problems. I can always hit the qnap page it produces from the outside LAN. However, recently I forwarded all my traffic through a VPN by connecting the Asus router to it as a client (OpenVPN). The problem is the VPN Proxy does not allow incoming traffic. The Server has two NICs so I thought one could go through the proxy and the other could bypass it. I am not sure how to buy pass it! Would I use a switch? Switches don't have NAT. What are my options? Thanks!!

Attachments

• Network issue.png
    Network issue.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 458
  • Network issue 2.png
    Network issue 2.png
    28 KB · Views: 332
Hi System,

The page is public and I really don't need VPN to gain access because it uses SSH. Port forwarding is not the issue I already took that step. In addition, before I turned the proxy on, it worked. Maybe I am not being clear. The router is forwarding all traffic through a VPN proxy. I have it so my ISP can't spy on my traffic. However, the VPN does not allow incoming traffic so I can no longer reach my QNAP from the outside. Since it has two ethernets I would be willing to connect one to the router and one to a switch or something that bypasses the router. That way I can still reach it from the outside, however, I don't think you can connect a switch to a modem, router, and computer. The switch doesn't perform nat. See diagrams.

Last edited:
Hi System,

The page is public and I really don't need VPN to gain access because it uses SSH. Port forwarding is not the issue I already took that step. In addition, before I turned the the proxy it worked. Maybe I am not being clear. The router is forwarding all traffic through a VPN proxy. I have it so my ISP can't spy on my traffic. However, the VPN does not allow incoming traffic so I can no longer reach my QNAP from the outside. Since it has two ethernets I would be willing to connect one to the router and one to a switch or something that bypasses the router. That way I can still reach it from the outside, however, I don't think you can connect a switch to a modem, router, and computer. The switch doesn't perform nat. See diagrams.
Your forwarding all port 80/443 traffic i presume. Simply change the ports.

i dont know if you can but if you can seperately port forward the qnap rather than a blanket rule that could work.

In the case of iptables put your qnap forwarding rule before your blanket redirect rule for the proxy.

@Paradoxgrowth Your idea of putting a switch in front of your cable modem won't work unless your ISP has provisioned your line for 2 separate internet connections.

@Paradoxgrowth Your idea of putting a switch in front of your cable modem won't work unless your ISP has provisioned your line for 2 separate internet connections.
Yeah I agree! Could you have a switch (or something) with NAT then plug in the router? In my past experience of hooking two routers together has been a fail. I'm not sure if it is the two NAT or DHCP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!