What's new

Download Master escapes VPN Director 192.168.50.1/24 Rule and bypasses VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

betiau

New Around Here
I have setup VPN Director to send all traffic through VPN except for my Smart TV traffic using the 192.168.50.1/24 rule and it works perfectly except for Download Master which seems to bypass VPN.
If I set the 'Redirect Internet Traffic though tunnel' option to 'Yes (all)', Download Master will go through VPN but if I select 'VPN Director (policy rules), it bypasses VPN.
Does anyone know how I can send Download Master traffic through VPN too while letting the TV bypass VPN?
1699775799511.png

1699775552685.png

I have setup VPN Director to send all traffic through VPN except for my Smart TV traffic using the 192.168.50.1/24 rule and it works perfectly except for Download Master which seems to bypass VPN.
If I set the 'Redirect Internet Traffic though tunnel' option to 'Yes (all)', Download Master will go through VPN but if I select 'VPN Director (policy rules), it bypasses VPN.
Does anyone know how I can send Download Master traffic through VPN too while letting the TV bypass VPN?
View attachment 54147
View attachment 54144
Services local to the router will not automatically use 192.168.50.1 ip address. That's why you don't get your desired effect.
For similar apps like transmission, it is possible to edit the config file telling it to use 192.168.50.1 address. Then it will obey your rule.
I don't know how to change this for Download Master, but here is someone found the config files:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/download-master-transmission-config.40487/post-339132

Services local to the router will not automatically use 192.168.50.1 ip address. That's why you don't get your desired effect.
For similar apps like transmission, it is possible to edit the config file telling it to use 192.168.50.1 address. Then it will obey your rule.
I don't know how to change this for Download Master, but here is someone found the config files:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/download-master-transmission-config.40487/post-339132

Thank you for your help!
I found the IP address in the config file here: \\<shared folder name>\Download2\config\settings.json
Set a VPN Director rule for 0.0.0.0 and Voila! It works!

1699839453759.png

1699839530513.png

I spent a lot of time trying to get something like this to work, binding transmission to a different ip address by editing the json config file, creating ip tables and etc. I gave up in the end because portforwarding never worked. Is it really this simple? Just create a rule directing 0.0.0.0 to the OVPN1 iface in vpn director? I don't need to do it now as I decided it would be more simple not to run transmission off the router. Who knows if I might need to again though so I'm curious.

I spent a lot of time trying to get something like this to work, binding transmission to a different ip address by editing the json config file, creating ip tables and etc. I gave up in the end because portforwarding never worked. Is it really this simple? Just create a rule directing 0.0.0.0 to the OVPN1 iface in vpn director? I don't need to do it now as I decided it would be more simple not to run transmission off the router. Who knows if I might need to again though so I'm curious.
I would probably change the config to bind Transmission/Download Master to an interface local to the router, I.e. 192.168.50.1 and create a vpn Director rule for that.
0.0.0.0 is a very special ip address and different services behaves different with it. It appears to have been working for the OP so that's good.

That's what I did in order to direct transmission's traffic via the vpn, but as I say 'mixed' results!

Whilst I got it to connect through the vpn I could never get portforwarding to work (with AirVPN). I spent a lot of time trying! There's a long post I made asking for advice somewhere. Anyway, I went with a different method and it's all good now. I was just curious

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!