What's new

CakeQOS CakeQoS-Merlin v2.1.1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am probably mistaken or misunderstanding, but I was under the impression that Tailscale is simply a preconfigured version of WireGuard. perhaps even a branded one.

Tonally deferent

Tailscale is some "magic DNS" thing that allows computers connected to it's special subnet to communicate with eachother even from outside LAN.

No, Tailscale produces individual connections between end points that are coordinated by central servers. Wireguard is hub and spoke.

I cannot use Tailscale to connect to my VPN providers WireGuard server.

Why do you need to use WireGuard?

No, Tailscale produces individual connections between end points that are coordinated by central servers. Wireguard is hub and spoke.

Why do you need to use WireGuard?
My VPN provider provide me with WireGuard config files. I don't know how we got on to this, it's off topic and nothing to do with whether or not Cake QoS can work with VPN'd traffic.

My VPN provider provide me with WireGuard config files. I don't know how we got on to this, it's off topic and nothing to do with whether or not Cake QoS can work with VPN'd traffic.

Not off topic as I'm looking for a solution to your issue. The issue is your VPN provider and/or VPN can't handle the load. Try a deferent one. QOS will not fix a bad VPN provider. You could avoid using a VPN for the video source you are using though that might have a cost as dose a decent VPN provider.

Not off topic as I'm looking for a solution to your issue. The issue is your VPN provider and/or VPN can't handle the load. Try a deferent one. QOS will not fix a bad VPN provider. You could avoid using a VPN for the video source you are using though that might have a cost as dose a decent VPN provider.

DL speed is 120mb down solid with in built WG client on or off, the issue exist(ed?) In the router somewhere. After installing Cake I wasn't too sure how to see if it was doing anything, and was still able to get a video stream to stutter applying load via speed test websites from my Android phone - albeit it wasn't as bad.

FlexQoS shows for sure traffic being sorted into categories and shaped in the stats page and I am unable to get a video to stutter with SkyQ box playing a Netflx stream, Android phone hammering speed tests and qBittorrent on seeding at a couple mb/s so I've answered my own question it seems.

Which VPN and which protocol I'm using never factored in, IMHO. The stutter only happened when applying load from elsewhere, and that is what I understand QoS fixes.

DL speed is 120mb down solid with in built WG client on or off, the issue exist(ed?) In the router somewhere. After installing Cake I wasn't too sure how to see if it was doing anything, and was still able to get a video stream to stutter applying load via speed test websites from my Android phone - albeit it wasn't as bad.

FlexQoS shows for sure traffic being sorted into categories and shaped in the stats page and I am unable to get a video to stutter with SkyQ box playing a Netflx stream, Android phone hammering speed tests and qBittorrent on seeding at a couple mb/s so I've answered my own question it seems.

Which VPN and which protocol I'm using never factored in, IMHO. The stutter only happened when applying load from elsewhere, and that is what I understand QoS fixes.

If a bandwidth test is causing stutter, then your bandwidth limits are too high. This is not to say there are not other issues.

I'm the one who nudged things onto this path, looking for distinction between wireguard and tailscale. apologies for starting that whirlwind

Are we certain it's not a Cake overhead and/or network MTU settings creating the issues?

Are we certain it's not a Cake overhead and/or network MTU settings creating the issues?
I run MTU default and was told to do so by another user in another thread. WG sets it to 1420 internally and the router stays at 1500. Windows 10 laptop is at 1500 also ... is this wrong?

Wireguard can maintain “flow separation” on the outbound path, so you could get some degree of fairness by appending flows to your egress options if you are using the add on.

Wireguard can maintain “flow separation” on the outbound path, so you could get some degree of fairness by appending flows to your egress options if you are using the add on.
Isn't the egress default dual-srchost that incorporates flows superior?

@dave14305 does the Asus Merlin QoS GUI enable custom upload options for cake?

If so, then perhaps the easiest way to make cake work with WireGuard VPN(s) would be to override the custom upload options for cake to specify: flows nonat.

@privacyguy123 those custom upload options for cake are necessary for cake to distinguish the encrypted flows at the wan interface.

Alternatively, I outlined the steps that I think would make this work on Asus Merlin in this post:

That is, rather than rely on the Asus Merlin QoS GUI to set cake up, you instead set cake up using that override script, and thereby tweak the cake options to specify: flows nonat.

Last edited:
@dave14305 does the Asus Merlin QoS GUI enable custom upload options for cake?

If so, then perhaps the easiest way to make cake work with WireGuard VPN(s) would be to override the custom upload options for cake to specify: flows nonat.

@privacyguy123 those custom upload options for cake are necessary for cake to distinguish the encrypted flows at the wan interface.

Alternatively, I outlined the steps that I think would make this work on Asus Merlin in this post:

So rather than rely on the Asus Merlin QoS GUI to set up cake, you instead set cake up using that override script, and leverage that to tweak the cake options to include 'flows nonat'.
I saw that post yes. The GUI does allow for custom parameters - I assume I just add them in to the upload box right there?

1697312000900.png

Would this alleviate the need for the hacky scripts?

Can a set up like this be achieved on FlexQoS so that acceleration can stay enabled?

Last edited:
Not sure if this GUI will allow you to specify the correct settings. Does the priority queue dropdown include the 'flows' option? If not, what options does it include? Set NAT Lookup to "No". Ultimately you want to end up with 'flows nonat' in the cake upload options. To verify this, login to the router using ssh and then paste the output of 'tc qdisc ls' here. The WAN packet overhead should now also include the WireGuard overhead - 80 bytes I think.

I guess try setting 'flows nonat' in 'custom upload parameters' and then login using ssh and run 'tc qdisc ls' and paste the output here.
None of those other options need tweaked? I haven't got it up and running just yet, was hoping to get my head around it beforehand. :)

No with this option you stick with the default (wan upload and ifb created for download based on wan). You just need to end up with 'flows nonat' by either tweaking the options and/or specifying custom upload parameters. And you can verify all worked well using:

tc qdisc ls

when logged in via ssh. The point is that cake can actually distinguish encrypted flows on wan when the 'flows nonat' options are set because of something called skb->hash preservation - see here:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!