What's new

Can I limit by MAC ADdress what devices have remote access to my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No. MAC addresses don't travel outside their local network. So your router doesn't see the MAC address of the remote user, only their IP address.

No. MAC addresses don't travel outside their local network. So your router doesn't see the MAC address of the remote user, only their IP address.

Thanks so how do I limit who can connect to my router remotely except for a username and really good password ?

Enabling remote web access to the router is a really bad idea as demonstrated by multiple reports of compromised routers at the beginning of this year. The latest firmware appears to have fixed that particular vulnerability but who knows how long it will be until the next one.

If you installed a third party firmware like Merlin's you could create some custom firewall rules that restricted access by IP address. But this assumes that you know the IP address in advance and that it doesn't change which is not normally the case.

The recommended solution is to turn on the OpenVPN server on the router and use a corresponding VPN client on the remote machine.

Enabling remote web access to the router is a really bad idea as demonstrated by multiple reports of compromised routers at the beginning of this year. The latest firmware appears to have fixed that particular vulnerability but who knows how long it will be until the next one.

If you installed a third party firmware like Merlin's you could create some custom firewall rules that restricted access by IP address. But this assumes that you know the IP address in advance and that it doesn't change which is not normally the case.

The recommended solution is to turn on the OpenVPN server on the router and use a corresponding VPN client on the remote machine.

I don't follow what you mean by turn on the OpenVPN server on the router and use a corresponding VPN client on the remote machine. What do you mean ?

Could this work instead as well ? Remotely connect to my pc from my iPad to control my router on my firefox web browser ?

Just for clarity, is it possible that by "remote access", the OP is talking about devices connecting wirelessly? If so, you can filter by MAC, but that will only deter novices.

I just turned off remote access. Better to be safe than sorry. Will just connect to my pc and control my router through my pc.

Just for clarity, is it possible that by "remote access", the OP is talking about devices connecting wirelessly? If so, you can filter by MAC, but that will only deter novices.
Ah, I see.

@ng4ever Can you clarify what you mean be "remote access". Do you mean someone out on the internet or someone connecting wirelessly?

Someone out on the internet.
I just turned off remote access. Better to be safe than sorry. Will just connect to my pc and control my router through my pc.
OK. How are you doing that? Port forwarding?

I don't follow what you mean by turn on the OpenVPN server on the router and use a corresponding VPN client on the remote machine. What do you mean ?
You haven't said what model router you have or what firmware so I'm having to make assumptions here. Most Asus routers have a built-in VPN server. I think the stock Asus firmware only has PPTP, but Merlin's also has OpenVPN which is much more secure.

OK. How are you doing that? Port forwarding?

You haven't said what model router you have or what firmware so I'm having to make assumptions here. Most Asus routers have a built-in VPN server. I think the stock Asus firmware only has PPTP, but Merlin's also has OpenVPN which is much more secure.

No. Through a Remote PC control app on my iPad.

Asus RT-AC5300 with Asus Merlin firmware.