What's new

"Cannot Login Unless Logout Another User First"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I haven’t seen this on Merlin in a while, but on older firmware I used to ssh and run
Code:
nvram set login_ip=“”
nvram set login_timestamp=“”
nvram commit
Those quotes shouldn’t be curly. Just straight.

But that’s not a permanent fix, just a short-term fix.

I suspect what he's asking is not how to clear an orphaned connection to the router but to have the ability to have multiple user sessions connected at the same time. But I could be wrong about that.

I suspect what he's asking is not how to clear an orphaned connection to the router but to have the ability to have multiple user sessions connected at the same time. But I could be wrong about that.
I’d accuse you of reading between the lines, but there was only one line to read. ;)

I usually get this warning pop up if I have logged in GUI on my laptop and shortly after that I attempt to log in again from another computer in a different room. So then this reminds me to go back to my laptop, log out and try log in on the other computer.

If I am using the same computer, the warning pops up if I am already logged in GUI and try to access it again by opening another tab. In that case, I close the original tab, clean the browser’s cache and attempt to log in on the second tab.

I usually get this warning pop up if I have logged in GUI on my laptop and shortly after that I attempt to log in again from another computer in a different room. So then this reminds me to go back to my laptop, log out and try log in on the other computer.

If I am using the same computer, the warning pops up if I am already logged in GUI and try to access it again by opening another tab. In that case, I close the original tab, clean the browser’s cache and attempt to log in on the second tab.

Marin,
I got the same situation when I use the same MacBookPro when switching between LAN and WiFi Connection as each is given a different IP Address from DHCP :)

Marin,
I got the same situation when I use the same MacBookPro when switching between LAN and WiFi Connection as each is given a different IP Address from DHCP :)

Yep! And my laptop is a MacBook Pro too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may be a dumb question as I think I am missing the point but why would you want to be logged in twice at the same time?

I don’t need to do that as I don’t see any benefits from wanting to access GUI from two different computers at the same time [emoji6]. It’s just that I forget to log out from the original session on one computer while attempting to login using another one.

So if for some reason I have the need to log back in from another computer few minutes later (and before GUI automatically logs me out of the original session), I get the warning we are talking about.

I don’t need to do that as I don’t see any benefits from wanting to access GUI from two different computers at the same time [emoji6]. It’s just that I forget to log out from the original session on one computer while attempting to login using another one.

So if for some reason I have the need to log back in from another computer few minutes later (and before GUI automatically logs me out of the original session), I get the warning we are talking about.

I feel you I have done that before

yes thats exactly what i want to do, ive been looking around the ssh interface but no dice, also this thing takes forever to apply changes and does like 3 reboots while at it

Last edited:
yes thats exactly what i want to do, ive been looking around the ssh interface but no dice, also this thing takes forever to apply changes and does like 3 reboots while at it
Sorry, it's not possible to have multiple users logged into the GUI at the same time. The GUI is designed around the assumption that there is only one person using it (yes I know :rolleyes: - it's just the way it is). Having more the one user session would cause conflicts in the way the router keeps track of the changes being made.

You're also correct that many (but not all) of the screens force a complete reboot of the router to take effect. Merlin tries his best to minimise the times when this happens but sometimes it's unavoidable.

If you know what you're doing it's possible to manipulate the router settings from an SSH command line and restart some services individually. There is a community utility called scMerlin which helps with the latter.

Also, some router models seem to take longer to boot up than others. I'm not sure why.

Sorry, it's not possible to have multiple users logged into the GUI at the same time. The GUI is designed around the assumption that there is only one person using it (yes I know :rolleyes: - it's just the way it is). Having more the one user session would cause conflicts in the way the router keeps track of the changes being made.

You're also correct that many (but not all) of the screens force a complete reboot of the router to take effect. Merlin tries his best to minimise the times when this happens but sometimes it's unavoidable.

If you know what you're doing it's possible to manipulate the router settings from an SSH command line and restart some services individually. There is a community utility called scMerlin which helps with the latter.

Also, some router models seem to take longer to boot up than others. I'm not sure why.

yikes, but it doesnt even keep track of anything? it just reboots with every setting you apply without asking, often taking whole minutes

well whatever, thanks for the confirmation

If it's doing that for every single screen then something's wrong with your router.
most screens" then

changing a radio's channel takes the whole thing down presumably rebooting, enabling "roaming assists" takes a few seconds but also disconnects everything except the switch

there's no warning, my older router and current ubiquiti devices keep track of every single change if they cant be applied on the fly and prompt me to reboot or apply them

its an AC87U, i read its quite the wreck having different brand hardware trying to coexist

Yes, maybe it's worse because of the AC87U's mixed hardware. On my RT-AC68U any wireless changes will restart just the wireless subsystem, forcing the clients to reconnect. But the whole process only takes a few seconds (60 seconds for the 5GHz band if you're using DFS channels). Likewise restarting USB applications like Samba or FTP just restarts that part, which again takes just a few seconds. The VPN client or server - about 10 seconds.

Yes, maybe it's worse because of the AC87U's mixed hardware. On my RT-AC68U any wireless changes will restart just the wireless subsystem, forcing the clients to reconnect. But the whole process only takes a few seconds (60 seconds for the 5GHz band if you're using DFS channels). Likewise restarting USB applications like Samba or FTP just restarts that part, which again takes just a few seconds. The VPN client or server - about 10 seconds.
that sounds a lot better than what im experiencing, if i make changes to the 5g part sure it should drop and come back but why take the 2.4 down with it too?

also for some reason TX is always lower than RX, and not just on network map, i can transfer files to an ac 2x2 device at close to 600mbps sustained, but coming from that device to the ethernet pc it only does 200-300mbps and seems pretty jumpy, there's 0 interference and ive tried leaving a single device on the 5g band, disabling-enabling MU MIMO, beamforming etc etc

also they max out the gigabit lan both ways no problem, so i dont know what to do now...

changing a radio's channel takes the whole thing down presumably rebooting

There's a difference between restarting the wireless stack (which takes 10-30 secs) and rebooting the router (which takes 2-5 minutes)... There are only 2 or 3 changes that may actually reboot the router. Making wireless changes doesn't.

There's a difference between restarting the wireless stack (which takes 10-30 secs) and rebooting the router (which takes 2-5 minutes)... There are only 2 or 3 changes that may actually reboot the router. Making wireless changes doesn't.
well i guess im very inpatient, specially considering here i have a 15yo tplink that appears to run a lot snappier when messing around with settings, but i digress

here's another issue, i have been trying out the usb smb function and it works fine but speeds are nowhere near where they should be, it seems capped at 30mbps up/down and the usb drive i know is capable of over 100mbps sequential reads, any time i move files i see both cpu's spiking to 80-90% usage while transferring the files, ive tried formatting it with all 3 of the available filesystems on the router NTFS-FAT-HFS hoping they reduce overhead or something and so far they all perform the same, seemingly capped at 30mbps

any ideas about that?