What's new

Cannot Remove Asus-WRT!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AnnieBody

Regular Contributor
Hi
In my ever increasing frustration with my RT-AX58U router Asus firmware and the appaling/non-existent level of support from them, I decided to dip my toe into the Asus-WRT water.
Downloaded the latest version and updated the firmware.
I now find that contrary to the claim, when I update with my official Asus firmware it resolutely retruns to Asus_WRT meaning Asus won't talk to me anymore!
How do I replace Asus-WRT with Asus software?

Do you mean you have Merlin firmware but want to go back to Asus firmware?

Yes I did!
When I first installed it, it was to see if I could get around VPN Fusion not working with CyberGhost OpenVPN. Sadly, all Asus would advise was the settings were incorrect.
After installing Merlin I panicked as there were so many more settings!
But, after calming down, I tried installing using the additional settings and after a few hiccups (resolved by a more verbose system.log) it now works, so I now want to keep it!
For anyone else reading, I found the CyberGHost openvnp.ovpn had an obsolete OpenVPN legacy line 'ncp-disable', which needed to be removed.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

@AnnieBody, your post is more than a little confusing to me. But, what I gleam from it:

After flashing the firmware you want, perform a full reset to factory defaults using (at least) the following link below.

This will allow the firmware you need, to see and use the defaults it expects.

For problem/glitchy routers like the RT-AX58U, I suggest doing the following though.

According to AsusWRT a full factory reset is not necessaary, which is one of the reasons I opted for it rather than have to spend days getting AiMesh working again!
Equally it should not be required when changing back to the original firmware assuming this overwrites all the settings, which it appears it does not do.

Your message is very confusing, let's start by clearing things up.

Asuswrt is the name of the original Asus firmware.
Asuswrt-Merlin is probably the third party firmware you tried to install.

Installing a new firmware does not erase the existing settings. To do that, you must do a factory default reset.

In my ever increasing frustration with my RT-AX58U router Asus firmware and the appaling/non-existent level of support from them, I decided to dip my toe into the Asus-WRT water.

Purchase a router from a different vendor...

Sticking with what you have now, likely you won't be happy... if you're use-case doesn't fit with AsusWRT, that's ok..

Goes to the 80/20 rule - some bugs affect every vendor/not all bugs affect some vendors...

I originally used a TP-Link system that proved to be just even more ineffective and appeared to blatantly lie about the device capabilities after which, despite my consumer rights, they would not even consider a refund without my taking them to court to prove it! So I cut my losses and changed to Asus.
As it has taken me nearly three years from purchase, I am not going to change to something new that may have just as many software issues and poor, almost non-existent customer support as Asus.
It appears the market is full of companies making false claims regarding the capability of their equipment in the rush to outdo each other and in doing so providing non-functioning rubbish!
There should be a law against it, and indeed there is, but to challenge a major corporation requires mega bucks, which places makes them beyond the reach of the common man or consumer.
In the end we all want the technology and have to put up with market forces and major corporate bs to get it, even if that technology is not ready for market.
Red or blue pill? Choose wisely!

It appears the market is full of companies making false claims regarding the capability of their equipment in the rush to outdo each other and in doing so providing non-functioning rubbish!

True on the consumer market - no one cares or knows much. On the business market though - a quick way to lose the business.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!