What's new

Can't connect to my ASUS router via LTE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J.T.

Occasional Visitor
Hi, this has been driving me mad. My iPhone Asus router app use to connect to my AC86U just fine over LTE but a few months ago, just stopped. I have uninstalled the app on my iPhone and reset my router to factory with no luck. I am on T-Mobile if that helps. Please ask any questions of me if that will help solve this. Like I said, one day it just stopped working and never worked again over LTE.

I have just updated the firmware on the router and updated the iOS app today. Same issue... If this helps, I can connect to my windows remote desktop just fine via LTE and my Plex server.

Last edited:
while I never use the app outside my house, I will guess it has to do with the remote access config setting?

you can find it via
Adminstration -> System
Remote Access Config
Enable Web Access from WAN

personally dont recommend it, I would rather vpn back to access it.

Okay, so after some reading someone suggested I try a VPN on my iPhone. I downloaded TunnelBear on my iPhone and turned it on and guess what, it works! Why do I need to use a VPN in order to get the ASUS iPhone app to connect to my router via LTE? Any suggestions on how to get it to work without having to turn on a VPN on my phone?

And to answer the above post, the remote access config was already properly configured by the app when prompted to allow.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work without having to turn on a VPN on my phone?
Remove and re setup the app on the phone ? Its likely a bad config file or something like that.

I would not recommend continuing to allow WAN access. Just as @indark said I personally use VPN only. I no longer use the app. Straight WAN access is not very secure, you can search the forums here at SNB and you should find a few topics about the subject.

And to answer the above post, the remote access config was already properly configured by the app when prompted to allow.

Thats normal, the app at one time would automatically configure itself for WAN access in my understanding.

If you decide to search out the topics mentioned above, and act on recommendations from those topics. It would be best to remove the app and then reset it up and only allow LAN access, aka thru the VPN. You would also need to remove the WAN accessibility setting from your router config.

A few topics from a cursory search, there were a few others but my search fu is failing this evening. :(

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...-activation-of-remote-access-to-router.44181/
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/security-reminder-to-stay-secure.36607/

Thanks for the reply. I have uninstalled the app many time and reinstalled and same issue.

I have read several places that t-mobile LTE and iOS 11 forces something called ipV6 on the iPhone and that is why turning on my Tunnelbear VPN on my phone allows the remote connection. Any thoughts on that line of thinking? Anyone else NOT have this problem with the t-moblie/iPhone iOS 11 combination?

dont know, it's as simple as flip switch with my android phone on project fi, which also use t-mobile's network the moment I was testing.
Untitled.png
I assumed you have all those set up properly?
such as DDNS, I dont think the app set it up, all it does is enable it. or at least from the wording of it. I am too lazy to clear everything to test step by step.

And when I said VPN back, I meant set up and use the VPN server on the asus router, so it act as if it's access locally.

If I were reading correctly, you were able to connect by route thru tunnelbear's VPN and continue to access remotely?
If that's the case, then you should provide the feedback to asus and ask them for help.

Just a follow-up to this older thread. The issues seemed to fix itself. I am confident the issue was on the tmobile side. Thanks for the input!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!