What's new

Cant get Aiprotection Web & Appps Filtering to work

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Col8eral

Regular Contributor
I have an ASUS RT-AC88U

I have been trying to get AiProtection Web & Apps filtering to work with out success.

I have enabled the feature and for one om my connected lap tops enabled all the protection options but it doesn't block anything. I can still visit adult sites, still use P2P and still stream media.

Am I missing something? How do I get this to work.

Your laptop must be set to use the router for DNS queries.

Connection settings > Internet Protocol {TCP/IPV4} > Properties > Obtain DNS server address automatically.

You may also have to reboot the laptop or flush the DNS cache before AI will work.

I didnt know that. Thank you. Ill give it a try.

I assume thats a weakness of this parental control. I assume my children could change the DNS to get round it?

Well yes and no, it depends on the kit they are using. If it is Windows and you manage it for them , make sure they only have a limited user account then they can't change settings and install VPN's .

iPads and A Pads ...... not sure what you can do.

My lad used to try everything to bypass blocks I put in place, he gave up when I showed him the web history on the router and he realised I could see what he was visiting.

Asus Parental Controls does not use the DNS to filter access. It uses the MAC address of the device. After selecting the Client Name from the drop down, check the Content Category you want to block then click the "+" under Add/Delete followed by Apply. Time Scheduling is a separate entry and also uses the MAC address.
Yes, the user can change the MAC address on some devices. Exercise your parenting options as needed to keep your family in line...

My lad used to try everything to bypass blocks I put in place, he gave up when I showed him the web history on the router and he realised I could see what he was visiting.

Love that approach. I think I'll do the same :)

Asus Parental Controls does not use the DNS to filter access. It uses the MAC address of the device. After selecting the Client Name from the drop down, check the Content Category you want to block then click the "+" under Add/Delete followed by Apply. Time Scheduling is a separate entry and also uses the MAC address.
Yes, the user can change the MAC address on some devices. Exercise your parenting options as needed to keep your family in line...

Thats my problem. I tried that and it didnt block anything.

Made sure laptop obtain DNS server address automatically. Add a mac address to ban yet still I can visit adult sites. Is it because the adult sites use https?

I assume thats a weakness of this parental control. I assume my children could change the DNS to get round it?

If they have a smartphone, they can just turn off the WiFi and use the mobile network...

If they have a smartphone, they can just turn off the WiFi and use the mobile network...

Very true but the little darlings don't want to do that too much as they run out of data .

Biggest problem is the kids know more the the adults , who usually set up the VCR for you )

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!