What's new

changed up wireless bridge/router location etc Going insane.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jaybo

New Around Here
OK I know just enough to be very dangerous,and this problem is driving me crazy having spent New years eve and day trying to figure out the problem. so bear with me.

old setup:

Wireless BB ISP > Dlink 655 Rev.A2 > Dlink DAP 2553 bridge mode > 2553 Bridge/AP mode > switch > Computers.

Worked fine. no real problems, except bridge signal was weak and ISP told me to go with NanoStation Loco M5's to improve my bridge (about 500') Also said to move my router back to my home behind the M5's so I did that. Bridge signal is better. Now, WISP > M5> M5> 655> switch> computers.

the problems is now I am getting the "Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data." in Chrome and unable to connect error in IE. I can refresh and it will usually go to the site, although sometimes it does not load with all of the borders and such and hit refresh again and all fine.

Live Messenger is also difficult to connect to as well. It is unable to connect, so I run the troubleshooter and it always comes up with a key ports problem. I run repair and it fixes that error but will still not connect until I repeatedly hit the sign in button and eventually it will connect. Nothing changed except for location of router and the new M5 radios.

I was planning to upgrade the router when I found out it is essentially non supported (old Revision A2) when I was going to put the latest firmware on it. (it has the latest for that revision)

What am I missing? I can't take it anymore!

Worked fine. no real problems, except bridge signal was weak and ISP told me to go with NanoStation Loco M5's to improve my bridge (about 500')
that 500' is a long distance with WiFi, assuming that is line of sight (right?).

NanoStation Loco - never hear of that in popular use.

You need a pair of bridges that each have high gain antennas and clear line of sight, and elevated at, say, roof-eaves-height.

I've used engenius brand < $100 bridges with internal antennas successfully.
Newegg.com sells several variants.
Try to get at least 12dBi gain integral antennas on each.

that 500' is a long distance with WiFi, assuming that is line of sight (right?).

NanoStation Loco - never hear of that in popular use.

You need a pair of bridges that each have high gain antennas and clear line of sight, and elevated at, say, roof-eaves-height.

I've used engenius brand < $100 bridges with internal antennas successfully.
Newegg.com sells several variants.
Try to get at least 12dBi gain integral antennas on each.

The Ubiquiti M5's are a high quality product from the research I have done. they have a dual polarity 13dbi directional antenna. They are both mounted high, have direct line of site and have great signal. I don't see them as the problem. I'm thinking it must be the router move from in front of the bridge to behind it?

The WISP provider changed out to a better dish and upped my speed from about 1.5mb to 6mb and the speed IS faster but its like there is a lull that is causing the 324 error. Like I said, it's weird and its driving me nuts. My wife and office gal are going to be screaming at me in the morning when they have to constantly have to reload every site once or twice to get it to load up.

Here is a link to the Ubiquiti stuff

And a link to the Datasheet.

Sorry, but I don't understand your setup, especially why the two bridges.
And how are you getting the first M5 to connect to your WISP and bridge to the other M5? I suspect that's where your problem is.

I would simplify the setup to check one piece at a time. Start with one M5 connected to your WISP, then expand until you find the culprit.

Sorry, but I don't understand your setup, especially why the two bridges.
And how are you getting the first M5 to connect to your WISP and bridge to the other M5? I suspect that's where your problem is.

I would simplify the setup to check one piece at a time. Start with one M5 connected to your WISP, then expand until you find the culprit.

The WISP module is plugged directly into the POE injector of the first M5 It then has to be beamed up to my home (from my pump house, which has line of site to the WISP tower that my home does not) to the second M5 which is plugged into the WAN port of my router.

The biggest change from the radio upgrade was moving the router from in front of the radios to behind them. The WISP tech said this would improve overall speed both from them and internal network speed.

I'm surprised you have never heard of bridging from point to point using dedicated bridge radios. I've had to do this for several years now once there was WISP technology available to me in my rural location.

Do you have some other way to accomplish what I am doing?

Last edited:
Thanks for the details. Yes, I've heard of bridging. But it wasn't clear from your previous description that "Wireless BB ISP" was a receiver. I thought you were using the first Ubiquiti to both receive signal from the WISP, then also to bridge to the second M5.

The problem could be the IP addresses of the two M5's. What are they set to? What IP address is provided by the "WISP module"?

Thanks for the details. Yes, I've heard of bridging. But it wasn't clear from your previous description that "Wireless BB ISP" was a receiver. I thought you were using the first Ubiquiti to both receive signal from the WISP, then also to bridge to the second M5.

The problem could be the IP addresses of the two M5's. What are they set to? What IP address is provided by the "WISP module"?

OK, So we moved the router back to being in front of the 2 M5's and it ended all of my problems. Case solved :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!