What's new

Coaxial video over Ethernet then back.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eKosmos

New Around Here
All adapters I have researched extend internet connection over existing coaxial wiring. I need the reverse of that. I have many wired Ethernet outlets and rwo coaxial inputs from cable company. I would like to connect my cable companie's set top box (coaxial inputs) to a tv where I don't have a coaxial outlet but I have an ethetnet outlet.
Is there a device (I imagine I would need two of them) that will receive coaxial video signal, send it over Ethernet wire, then convert back to coaxial signal so I can connect my set top box to my TV via coaxial wire.

look at HDHR for cable by silicondust.
Basically, you need a streaming device to take your cable in and then a receiver to convert back.
Do you have digital cable ?
Can your TV do DLNA ?

look at HDHR for cable by silicondust.
Basically, you need a streaming device to take your cable in and then a receiver to convert back.
Do you have digital cable ?
Can your TV do DLNA ?
I do have digital cable. I don't know what DLNA is (yet...will research), but my TVs are not 'smart' basic HDMI inputs, so it is unlikely that they do DLNA.
My goal is to avoid running coaxial cable through or along the walls.

Your cheapest, least headache, option is probably to run a coax drop. Also avoids copyright control issues.
Ask your cable company what their options are.
They might even move the drop to a more convenient location for a nominal fee.
You can check with alarm company installers about doing the work. They usually have the skills to get the cable there and do the terminations if you don't want to attempt. They may be cheaper than cable co.

a plan view picture of what you would have to do to get the new cable drop location would help.

A TiVo whole home setup ... though you'd switch out the cable provider's TV gear for a TiVo DVR (tuning TV signal from coax) and any number of TiVo Mini clients connected via Ethernet. The DVR is responsible for all tuning and streams the cable TV content, either previously recorded or live, via the home network to the Mini client.

Another alternative would be to switch out your cable subscription for something like a Dish/Sling OTT package. Then you just put a Roku or other device in each room and stream your shows over the Internet.