What's new

Connect "WAN" to other wireless network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrianTacker

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

I recently moved to an apartment where my landlord said I can use his wireless internet. The only problem with that is that I want to use my N66U router so I can plug in my hard drive (and obviously I cant just replace his router with mine, nor am I able to run a hard wire). I keep searching for a possible was to basically connect the N66U WAN to the next door wifi. Ive searched google and this forum and couldnt seem to find anyhting (And I almost bricked the router trying to get DD-WRT on there).

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

in theory You can from console or startup script:

- remove wl interface from br0 by brctrl
- add wan and wl to new bridge
- connect to remote wireless

ASUSWRT have WIRELESSWAN option in config but not implementation in code.

in theory You can from console or startup script:

- remove wl interface from br0 by brctrl
- add wan and wl to new bridge
- connect to remote wireless

ASUSWRT have WIRELESSWAN option in config but not implementation in code.

I figured there was a way to do it with a script but I haven't done that before. Would you happen to know where I can go to learn how to apply that kind of implementation? Thanks!

When my wife and I travel we stay at timeshares quite often. They will sometimes have a pay connection wifi and since we have more then one device it can get expensive. We also usually have a Roku stick to plug into their tv to watch Netflix, etc.
How I do this is to create my own wifi network, what you are wanting to do. I my case I use a small TP-Link mr3020 as a wifi client (device connects to the timeshare network and then the Ethernet connects to the other router). I then use a Zytel mwr102 as a router and connect the wan port of it to the TP-Link mr3020. This gives me a private wifi network that I can use with the Roku or other devices. Am at a place right now where I have 2 iPhones, Roku, and laptop all connected to the private wifi and the timeshare only sees the MAC of the TP-Link so counts as one connection even though there are multiple devices.
You could do something similar by getting a router that supports client mode and connect that to the wifi there and connect your Asus like you normally would to a modem.
--bill

You need to make your N66U a "Wireless Client". Then you will get your own subnet (for example you can set it to 192.168.1.x while your landlord uses 192.168.0.x), your own IP's (DHCP), you are firewalled from him, etc. Don't use "Wireless Bridge" or Wireless Repeater because it will make you part of his subnet.

You need to make your N66U a "Wireless Client". Then you will get your own subnet (for example you can set it to 192.168.1.x while your landlord uses 192.168.0.x), your own IP's (DHCP), you are firewalled from him, etc. Don't use "Wireless Bridge" or Wireless Repeater because it will make you part of his subnet.

Client mode routers connect to the wifi and then allow connection via Ethernet to another device. At least that is the definition of client mode and all routers I have worked with in client mode worked this way.
So, in this case, need small cheap router that supports client mode and use this to connect to the existing wifi. Then connect the N66U WAN port to the Ethernet port of the client mode router. You will then have your own wifi network.

--bill

I don't think this is an option in the ASUS firmware. I know you can do it in DD-WRT though.
The feature I was thinking of in DD-WRT is called Repeater Bridge (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge) but it's non-standard. ASUS has something similar called WDS Hybrid mode, but it only uses WEP encryption and you need to configure it on both routers. bill1228's idea of using a cheap wireless router is probably the way to go.

Hmm, I was thinking since the router is dual band I could use one band as the client and the other for the router.
Is anyone familiar with applying scripts? I'd like to see if I can take a crack at that. I guess if that's not a possibility I'll have to go the 3rd router way.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!