What's new

csv or other text file import export for backup restore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidstoll

Occasional Visitor
Is there a way to import a text config file?

I'm asking because it can be easier to save settings in a text file, especially if they are vast and need to be moved from another router.

For instance and more specifically, static ip info, port forwarding info, etc.

Thanks!

How do you enable tftp so I can get in and run the script? Or maybe the password is different than the one to log into the GUI?

Do you really mean TFTP? Perhaps you meant Telnet or SSH. Either can be enabled at Administration > System > Command Line

Do you really mean TFTP? Perhaps you meant Telnet or SSH. Either can be enabled at Administration > System > Command Line

Yeah, tftp. I'm trying to use WinSCP to log in and run the backup command so I can then FTP the files and not have to do so much extra to run and retrieve the files (many more extra steps...used to be a dd-wrt user, so I was hoping to use WinSCP here too). It's one program to transfer/run/backup files.

Sorry, where is the script running? On the router in the PC? I thought TFTP only did file transfers. I'm not aware of it being able to support remote code execution.

It's running on a PC. You can change file permissions, remotely execute a command and transfer the backup files....all in one program. Now, it's not great for feedback...i.e. if the script runs into a problem and kicks out errors, but once you get things set the way you like it, then it's great because it saves you so many steps, including defaulting to the local location where you want to transfer the files. Right click, execute, wait until it is done, then transfer the files back using an FTP like gui interface.

OK I understand now.

But... I've just checked my WinSCP installation and their website. It doesn't look like WinSCP supports TFTP, only SCP, FTP, SFTP and WebDAV.

Use the SCP protocol. It will only require SSH access to be enabled.

I've tried the SCP method, but the issue I get is that it says the password is not correct. Maybe it's the username? I've used root and admin as the usernames and I have used the regular GUI password. It says the password is incorrect. So, I really don't know if it is the server that isn't setup or if the user/pass combo is wrong...or what? SSH is enabled.

You shouldn't be having a problem if "Enable SSH" and "Allow SSH password login" are both set to "Yes". The user ID and password are the same as you use to log into the GUI. Just make sure the password isn't overly long or contains any non-alphanumeric characters.

You shouldn't be having a problem if "Enable SSH" and "Allow SSH password login" are both set to "Yes". The user ID and password are the same as you use to log into the GUI. Just make sure the password isn't overly long or contains any non-alphanumeric characters.

I think it was "Allow SSH password login" was the key...not sure how that is different from "Enable SSH", but I'm in.

username: admin

With dd-wrt, the user is root, so that tripped me up too.

Thank you all!

For SFTP session to work, I had to install entware package sftp-openssh-server on ASUS Merlin. This is not required on dd-wrt routers.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!