What's new

Current plans regarding separate version branches

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

After exchanging a few emails with Asus, I updated the initial post. There won't be any new GPL merge for 386 from me, unless they issue an emergency fix in the future. So from my end of things, 386_51997 is the final GPL merge for these models, and I will go on with my initial plan of providing component updates and fixes until the end of 2024. The frequency will vary, but I expect I might slow it down after the 386.13 release is out, which will contain the (most likely) last additions/improvements to the current featureset.

After exchanging a few emails with Asus, I updated the initial post. There won't be any new GPL merge for 386 from me, unless they issue an emergency fix in the future. So from my end of things, 386_51997 is the final GPL merge for these models, and I will go on with my initial plan of providing component updates and fixes until the end of 2024. The frequency will vary, but I expect I might slow it down after the 386.13 release is out, which will contain the (most likely) last additions/improvements to the current featureset.
That's a bummer. 386_51997 seems to be buggy...

That's a bummer. 386_51997 seems to be buggy...
Overall it's in a fairly good state. The Trend Micro components were updated on top of it when dcd broke down a few weeks ago.

Overall it's in a fairly good state. The Trend Micro components were updated on top of it when dcd broke down a few weeks ago.
I'd wager to say that it's not, unless you have a simple one-router setup. Multiple reports if Aimesh configurations crashing on the newer GPL's. I posted a log about a memory leak in conjunction with one such crash in the .12 thread (similar crashes going back at least to .10), and basically got told that it's a mystery, a mystery that now will not get solved with a new GPL. And others have posted the exact same pattern of crash.

So basically we're stuck with a proven to be buggy black-box foundation in the form of a GPL that will not get updated.

And no other firmware options either, because unlike AC68U, AC86U has no third party firmware support for Tomato, DD-WRT, OpenWRT etc. This is for a top of the line router that hit the stores in 2018, and was in widespread sale until relatively recently.

This marks the culmination of a long and rocky road with the AC86U in particular, and so the implication for future customers is clear:

Remember to learn your lesson, and never buy Asus again, folks! Do not learn your lesson, and you have only yourself to thank the next time you're screwed!

Last edited:
Remember to learn your lesson, and never buy Asus again, folks!
If you think the grass is greener elsewhere, then by all means, go ahead, move elsewhere. You will then see how things are far worse with a lot of the alternatives.

Hmm, the fence-sitting regarding my Asus AC devices got resolved for me within 24 hours, much less than what I would have expected... which is nice!
Suddenly OpenWrt running on some newer MediaTek chip-based device with HW NAT looks all the more enticing, especially considering the price tags when compared to Asus.
Even so, I would like to thank you @RMerlin for the quality work you did until now, I really enjoyed using your firmwares.

If you think the grass is greener elsewhere, then by all means, go ahead, move elsewhere. You will then see how things are far worse with a lot of the alternatives.
Multiple firmware-related headaches throughout the years to the point of utter ridiculousness, only to be finished with a problematic GPL that effectively cuts one off from the last years of security updates, not to mention a fix to the current problems themselves.

I don't see how much worse it can get short of an actual non-functioning router, which is actually better as I can use the warranty and get my money back from the store right away.

@heywire If I were you, I'd quickly sell that AC86U, while the price is still OK (considering the EOL announcement). Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Just checked eBay... oops, there's a ton of them up for sale for very low prices. Well, there goes my advice :)

I don't see how much worse it can get short of an actual non-functioning router
Routers with documented backdoors (left in there by themselves) that the manufacturer refuses to remove on the ground that "that device is EOL". Cloud-only router management that forces you to create an account with the device manufacturer, regardless of the implicit security issues that entails, or the fact that they can remotely brick your device overnight if they close down their service. Devices becoming EOL only 18 months after launch. And that list goes on...

not to mention a fix to the current problems

See what I replied to you here:

@RMerlin can explain it better. Sometimes the complaints are similar to blaming the delivery driver for the package contents. He can't help you even if he wants to. Asus is the delivery company you deal with in regards to your Broadcom product. You have paid Cash on Delivery to Asus, but your money were distributed to everyone involved.

Routers with documented backdoors (left in there by themselves) that the manufacturer refuses to remove on the ground that "that device is EOL". Cloud-only router management that forces you to create an account with the device manufacturer, regardless of the implicit security issues that entails, or the fact that they can remotely brick your device overnight if they close down their service. Devices becoming EOL only 18 months after launch. And that list goes on...
.. goes on to include lack of basic functioning without crashing regularly? If not, then the current situation with AC86U is worse. As a consequence, they are also in effect doing exactly what you said in your first sentence as well.

EOL 18 months after launch? Doesn't matter when it was launched, it matters when they stop selling them, and whether they provide support after it is "EOL" in their product lineup, which in AC86U's case, for the reasons I described above, they effectively don't.

Cloud-only router management. You're talking about Google now, or comparable brands? I trust their security infrastructure way more than competing brands.

Asus has effectively bricked the Aimesh pairing functionality for AC66_B1 btw. It's a common problem discussed around the forum. I see no public acknowledgement or effort to fix that problem.

Multiple firmware-related headaches throughout the years to the point of utter ridiculousness, only to be finished with a problematic GPL that effectively cuts one off from the last years of security updates, not to mention a fix to the current problems themselves.

I don't see how much worse it can get short of an actual non-functioning router, which is actually better as I can use the warranty and get my money back from the store right away.
Asus is pretty good support wise I have a garage full of notgear linkstink and other routers that had faults never fixed and support dropped 8 months after release . My Asus routers have been supported for over 10 years in most cases , that is the reason I switched to Asus long term support and they don't penalize you for using Merlin FW warranty is still good using Merlin , you are free to find a better solution for your needs , good luck finding something better in the consumer grade hardware

RMerlin, thank you for 10 plus years of superior router upgrades. For me, your additional features added to the standard Asus firmware, especially the VPN additions, greatly simplified and expanded the implementation of VPNs.

No matter what the future holds, I thank you for your past, present, and future firmware contributions.

.. goes on to include lack of basic functioning without crashing regularly?
Yes. Like a TP-Link whose DHCP server was crashing because in a description field a user used a space or a dash (I forgot which character), causing the router DHCP to crash, and all computers to go offline once their leases expired.

Look, you visibly have a bone to pick with Asus. I'm not going to spend my time trying to convince you otherwise. Just move on, it's your network.

Look, you visibly have a bone to pick with Asus. I'm not going to spend my time trying to convince you otherwise. Just move on, it's your network.
I don't think it is fair for you to belittle my issues with Asus as some irrational "bone to pick" when I have stated very clearly what the issue is. Nor does the whataboutism with other supposed bad actors in the space make my arguments carry any less weight. So if you have a problem with my argument that it is bad for Asus to finish off a verifiably atrocious FW history by not fixing problems with basic functionality in what they have now decided should be the last AC86U GPL, then please address the arguments themselves.

Asus is pretty good support wise I have a garage full of notgear linkstink and other routers that had faults never fixed and support dropped 8 months after release . My Asus routers have been supported for over 10 years in most cases , that is the reason I switched to Asus long term support and they don't penalize you for using Merlin FW warranty is still good using Merlin , you are free to find a better solution for your needs , good luck finding something better in the consumer grade hardware
Second that, the suprisingly the AC-5300 is still supported, and I had two of them in AIMesh on Merlin (for years and on an early 384 release when I eventually retired them and putting in a closet for quite awhile), before gifting them. If my cousin's house had not been struck by lighting last year, they would still be in service on current 386 code which for them was, and is more than enough.

Not at all bad when it comes to consumer devices, a pretty good run/life cycle.

About to go the ASUS/Merlin route again on current AX based gear, to replace some very old Netgear routers that I had to revert to when the AC-5300's blew up, and will be a nice upgrade to my old AC-5300's that Mother nature destroyed, and decades beyond the router setup they are currrently back to using.

Change is a constant, embrace and accept it.
You're a passenger on a roller coaster, that you have very little control over, with the only real choices being, to get on and ride it or not, and if so, where to sit and for how long, and when to get off, before being forced off.

You just have to figure out where on the change curve you're comfortable being (your sweet spot), but make no mistake you are on the curve, that has a beginning and that will eventually end.
1710873069065.png

Interesting discussion on expectations on electronic gear with respect to time.
When I think of my much more expensive “electronics” like TV, AV Receiver, mobile phone, I get software updates for 18 months at most. And new features? - be serious ;-)
But when it comes to a relatively lower cost - but very important WiFi router - the expectations stretch into many years.
The fast pace, changes in standards and technology are a big part of the overall electronics industry.
I wish my TV/AVR/Phone manufacturer supported those products (and at times add additional features at no cost) as well as Asus does their routers.

386 branch:
This branch is for older models that Asus didn't move to the 388 codebase. This includes three Broadcom SDKs:

- SDK 6.x (RT-AC68U)
- SDK 7.14 (RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100, RT-AC5300)
- HND 5.02 (RT-AC86U, GT-AC2900) (Not to be confused with HND 5.02ax which is a newer SDK)
It seems that HND 5.02 are sort of very similar hardware wise to some of the new routers such as AX68U. Sadly, "off label" use of 388 firmware for these may burn some goodwill with Asus.

Otherwise there is nothing wrong with the hardware, and performance is way better than some of AX models currently sold.