What's new

Custom DDNS Script (Afraid.Org) Issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Xruptor

Regular Contributor
Hello I have a slight issue getting a custom DDNS script to run.

I have "Enable JFFS partition" set to YES and "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" set to YES. I created a script under /jffs/scripts called "ddns-start" that has the information required for the afraid.org update. I also made sure the script is chmod correctly so it executes. I tested it by calling the script manually as ./ddns-start and it worked perfectly.

The issue I'm having is actually on the GUI screen. When I go to the DDNS tab and select 'Custom' it prompts me for a hostname. So I put in for example 'mysite.myhome.com' for the hostname. When I click apply it prompts me with another error stating 'Account name cannot be blank.' What I'm confused about is that there is no field to put in an account name. In fact an account name shouldn't be required for this. What am I doing wrong? I would like the script to fire up every couple of days to ensure I have the correct IP on afraid.org. However, the option under the DDNS tab is not permitting me to set it to 'Custom'. Do I even have to have this enabled? I thought I had to if I wanted to setup an interval.

I looked up the error a bit more and it seems to be tied to: "QKSet_account_nameblank=Account name cannot be blank." from https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/blob/master/release/src/router/www/EN.dict

Thanks for the help! Loving Asuswrt-Merlin. I recently converted from Tomato!

12 days and nothing. Well don't worry I've switched back to Tomato Shibby since he released a new version 1.30. Merlin firmware was great but I missed the flexibility of the Tomato firmware. Shame no one was able to assist me with something so simple. I had tried several methods to get it to work and in the end I just gave up. Thanks anyways Merlin for a fantastic firmware! Keep up the good work!

Account name cannot be blank => put your : xruptor.dnsname.org (Host Name)
in ddns-start put your 44 sign key

Account name cannot be blank => put your : xruptor.dnsname.org (Host Name)
in ddns-start put your 44 sign key

I had done that. If you read my original post you would have seen that I entered it in the hostname box. But I was still prompted with an error stating, "Account name cannot be blank."

When I go to the DDNS tab and select 'Custom' it prompts me for a hostname. So I put in for example 'mysite.myhome.com' for the hostname. When I click apply it prompts me with another error stating 'Account name cannot be blank.' What I'm confused about is that there is no field to put in an account name. In fact an account name shouldn't be required for this. What am I doing wrong?

That is why it was confused. I was still getting the error and there was no other fields provided even AFTER I put in the hostname. There were no other fields given and the Account name prompt was still being tossed at me. Which is why I came over here asking for assistance. Thanks for replying though. Much appreciated.

I had done that. If you read my original post you would have seen that I entered it in the hostname box. But I was still prompted with an error stating, "Account name cannot be blank."

It's a bug, which is already fixed upstream:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/commit/06c193febaccb7802a20f9765156860655c56f5f

As a workaround, switch to another DDNS service that displays an Account field (different from the hostname field), and fill it with something. Then switch back to custom, and proceed with your configuration.