What's new

Custom firmware build for R7800 v. 1.0.2.31SF

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Having spent 250 dollars in my country currency. I am felt i made a wrong choice . I thought this hardware is equal to R7000 interms of reliability and flexibility.

Somehow this dynamic QOS making me crazy.

Okay for a start the GUI is not going to respond as quickly as the actual QoS itself there is a GUI lag, so stop watching it. Its just there as a representation of what's happening really, the chipset is doing the work so much faster than the GUI shows. Also you have not figured in your network (ISP) You can have a a great router based QoS but if your provider shapes and throttles your connection which it may well do especially at peak times then there is nothing that really can be done, the router is doing its best with what it has. Leave the GUI, out of the equation, you have the SNB explanation of how streamboost works and that is that.

I have no buffering issues, but there is only myself in the house, my ISP (IDNet in the UK) does not shape throttle or block ports so in theory I should get no slowdowns when peak time usage starts, and I don't. My line runs as fast in the evening as in the day time. I can watch a 4k HDR stream and use my iPad quite happily or I can download a film to the sky Q box and game with no issues. Your usage may vary but where the router is placed, what frequency's you are using wirelessly for your devices (mine are mostly 802.11ac the printer is 802.11.g on 2.4Ghz) will all have an effect on your own network and the variables or your home, your neighbours routers and your ISP and its policy on traffic management and even the latency of your connection will all effect your final outcome.

Last edited:
I do not understand: if so why you do not use my previous build 1.0.2.30SF with previous QoS DB if it is OK for your needs?

Voxel.

i will try that firmware and will keep posted if that is stable. i believe from this hardware was not a big issue only QOS

Okay for a start the GUI is not going to respond as quickly as the actual QoS itself there is a GUI lag, so stop watching it. Its just there as a representation of what's happening really, the chipset is doing the work so much faster than the GUI shows. Also you have not figured in your network (ISP) You can have a a great router based QoS but if your provider shapes and throttles your connection which it may well do especially at peak times then there is nothing that really can be done, the router is doing its best with what it has. Leave the GUI, out of the equation, you have the SNB explanation of how streamboost works and that is that.

I have no buffering issues, but there is only myself in the house, my ISP (IDNet in the UK) does not shape throttle or block ports so in theory I should get no slowdowns when peak time usage starts, and I don't. My line runs as fast in the evening as in the day time. I can watch a 4k HDR stream and use my iPad quite happily or I can download a film to the sky Q box and game with no issues. Your usage may vary but where the router is placed, what frequency's you are using wirelessly for your devices (mine are mostly 802.11ac the printer is 802.11.g on 2.4Ghz) will all have an effect on your own network and the variables or your home, your neighbours routers and your ISP and its policy on traffic management and even the latency of your connection will all effect your final outcome.

I agree the QOS works faster and GUI is slow. But if it is working it wont break.

Thats why i showcased the snapshot that if QOS working atleast i get some kind of traffic if the devices are actively downloading or requesting data.

My ISP hardly throttle. I usually get 95% of the traffic all the time even peak usage i get 90% atleast. ie 100Mbps. I used to get 113Mbps .

I wish i could ignore the QOS traffic live in the attached devices . But i cant. As when it was working i dont see any stuck in streaming. But when it failed i used to get streaming very often buffering or stuck in buffering . I come to know the QOS is broken with v4 database.

But it was never ever experienced in v2.0.

I might try 30F hoping it works well. Just for the updated libraries and security fixes aprt from optware.

Your ISP will have polices on throttling different kinds of traffic might be worth checking up on that. As to the new database, its working fine for me and I'm not seeing threads on Netgears forum that are showing major issues and no one on here is reporting problems either from what I have seen, but there will always be exception to the rule. So if the earlier one works for you then use that. Also as I said there are many things that will influence the behaviour of your own network, maybe its worth looking into that too. Good luck.

Sorry, but only: "all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel". NETGEAR has own firewall and GUI (prebuilt), and even minimal changes are problematic.

Voxel.
Where did I miss this quote? "all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel"

I swear I read your .docx file, and the change log in OP for this info before asking.

Where did I miss this quote? "all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel"

I swear I read your .docx file, and the change log in OP for this info before asking.

Well, my respect: I was not able to read this .docx as a whole :)

I am sorry for misunderstanding. This quotation is just taken by me from your question:
Question about the VPN client. Once an ovpn file has been set up with the appropriate keys, will all traffic by default be routed over the tunnel?

Voxel.

There seems to be a problem with being able to "Register" with Readyshare USB devices on this current Voxel .31 version. During my testing, it also appears on the .28 version of the stock firmware. Downgrading to stock version .20 will allow a user to register a drive and allow the visibility of the drive in the Readycloud site. Has anyone else noticed this issue and can offer a more efficient work around?

Thank you

I just tried also, and it failed to register. I don't use this feature but you could always use your ip address wan side or use the Dynamic DNS Service

https://*********.mynetgear.com/shares:443 or different port # assigned in advanced settings

https://IP address/shares:443

Thank you for your help in validating this issue. I normally use my server and NVR to store the FTP streams for security cameras and was experimenting the use of this router for video storage and limited file sharing since the ports were available...

There seems to be a problem with being able to "Register" with Readyshare USB devices on this current Voxel .31 version. During my testing, it also appears on the .28 version of the stock firmware. Downgrading to stock version .20 will allow a user to register a drive and allow the visibility of the drive in the Readycloud site. Has anyone else noticed this issue and can offer a more efficient work around?

Thank you

It means that my integration of a stock 1.0.2.28 was successful :). Bugs in 1.0.2.28 are integrated too...

Well, IMO you have to report this bug to NETGEAR. I personally do not use this ReadyCLOUD, but some people like this feature.

Workaround is what deweyii suggested, right, or use of OpenVPN, when you can get an access to your local LAN. I prefer OpenVPN with mapping shared disks from my LAN (including attached to router) by samba to remote computer (over OpenVPN). Security.

Voxel.

It means that my integration of a stock 1.0.2.28 was successful :). Bugs in 1.0.2.28 are integrated too...

Well, IMO you have to report this bug to NETGEAR. I personally do not use this ReadyCLOUD, but some people like this feature.

Workaround is what deweyii suggested, right, or use of OpenVPN, when you can get an access to your local LAN. I prefer OpenVPN with mapping shared disks from my LAN (including attached to router) by samba to remote computer (over OpenVPN). Security.

Voxel.

Well, at least you fixed all the other bugs that Netgear created for you :)

Thanks!

I do not understand: if so why you do not use my previous build 1.0.2.30SF with previous QoS DB if it is OK for your needs?

Voxel.

You are right i did it and i updated in the v30 thread on my experience of 30F post 1 day still up and running. I cant demand more. But if you can and find time 31F without QOS v4DB would be great update for me without touching the Stream boost functionality.

You are right i did it and i updated in the v30 thread on my experience of 30F post 1 day still up and running. I cant demand more. But if you can and find time 31F without QOS v4DB would be great update for me without touching the Stream boost functionality.

It is troublesome to maintain and to release two versions of firmware, when second is created especially for you. I do not think that rest users of my custom firmware would be happy if I’ll replace QoS DB by older version, because practically there are no feedbacks from others that they have problems with latest QoS DB.

Let’s do the following: I put previous QoS DB packages to public downloads:

https://www.voxel-firmware.com/Downloads/Voxel/html/r7800.html

You can extract *.ipk files from ZIP:

Code:
macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk
p0f-db_20160607112934-cloud-gbaabd85-generic-1_all.ipk
policy-redis_20160607112945-cloud-g3bc8341-generic-1_all.ipk
wopr-db_20160607112951-cloud-g0e9656a-generic-1_all.ipk

and install them manually from telnet/ssh to your router using “/bin/opkg” command. Use full path to /bin/opkg command, to avoid call of Entware’s opkg (/opt/bin/opkg).

This program “/bin/opkg” has an option “--force-downgrade” allowing to downgrade installed package. Local files could be installed too. Something like:

Code:
/bin/opkg --force-downgrade install macoui-db_20160607112939-cloud-gb8be08c-generic-1_all.ipk

NOTE: I did not test this with my router, because I do not want to downgrade QoS DB. But it should work.

Voxel.

Last edited:
Are these DB from Netgear or from Processor company directly. I believe it has to be from Netgear.

2nd you mean to say i upgrade to 31F and then downgrade the QOS to v2.0

I might try that. For now i will stay in this enough to see if its stable for day's.

I knew you dont work on GUI.

Did remembered someone pointed out Netgear is going to refresh the WEB Gui and working on the same. Even beta pilot test is current being run by many user's.

Was that the one used in Orbi's . it was looking polishy , whity gui. But still the same framework of settings and options.

May be this router has enough to add more tools for further functionality like

Statistics
Open VPN Server, Client multiple options ( same as Merline allows many types)
gaming boost ( Similar like Asus fastest server cache)

Are these DB from Netgear or from Processor company directly. I believe it has to be from Netgear.
"Processor company": do you mean QCA? These packages are downloaded from the link used by NETGEAR firmware for QoS upgrade. IMO it is QCA development, but processed by NETGEAR. I do not know all details.

2nd you mean to say i upgrade to 31F and then downgrade the QOS to v2.0

I mean you can use these packages for all my and stock releases with latest QoS, E.g. you can install 1.0.2.31SF and downgrade QoS DB manually, then you can install next my build and downgrade QoS DB etc.

Regarding GUI: as I mentioned somewhere, I do not have full source codes of all programs from NETGEAR GPL codes, some packages are distributed only in binary form. CGI processor is prebuilt, not documented and it is very problematic for me to change WebGUI: everything in GUI is very tied to this prebuilt CGI processor. So w/o codes I can do only minimal changes. For example such stuffs in my build as adding Transmission or selection of OpenVPN 2.4.x server required a lot of efforts and tricks.

Voxel.

I got it i need to flash to 31f and downgrade the QOS files and reboot will make it stable as before but with the 31F upgraded binaries

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!